Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Adding lines and columns to a file Post 302336589 by vgersh99 on Wednesday 22nd of July 2009 12:00:07 PM
Old 07-22-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by zajtat
I'm really sorry to be a pain, but it still doesn't work.
The first two lines of your script retun just "here is my new line" and it doesn't really allow to print the last line. In the end I've amanged to type in the last line as well, but then the old problem happens: it expects more writing >
Sorry...
once again - check that you have copy/pasted the code - make sure you have an opening and a closing single quotes.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl: adding columns in CSV file with information in each

Hi Wise UNIX Crew, I want to add 3 different columns to the file in which: 1. The first new column pulls in today's date and time 2. Second column one has a '0' 3. Third column has the word 'ANY' going down the column If my file content is as follows: "7","a","abc",123"... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dolo21taf
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Adding columns to a file

I want to select the first column from a daily file called foo.csv. The result is written to file foo.txt. Currently the following script is used for that: cut -d, -f 1 foo.csv > foo.txt A typical result would yield : A12 A45 B11 B67 What needs to happen in addition is that two columns... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: figaro
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need Help for Adding Three new columns in existing file from fatching data from file

not required this time (36 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sandeep_Malik
36 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Adding EMPTY columns to Tab-delimited txt file

Hi I have a txt file with 4 columns where I need to add 4 empty columns in the middle meaning that I need what is currently column 4 to be column 8 in a new file. The idea is that I have to use the file as input in a program that reads the data in column 1 and 8, so the content of the other... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Banni
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Suggestions for adding columns to text file

Good afternoon to everyone, I have some input and output from various widgets that I am trying to get to play nicely together. Basically I would like to stay out of excel and be able to automate the entire process. I have read some posts here about how to use awk, nawk, etc, to do similar... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: LMHmedchem
9 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding new lines to a file + adding suffix to a pattern

I need some help with adding lines to file and substitute a pattern. Ok I have a file: #cat names.txt name: John Doe stationed: 1 name: Michael Sweets stationed: 41 . . . And would like to change it to: name: John Doe employed permanently stationed: 1-office (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: hemo21
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding a new column in a file with other existing columns

Hi All , Kindly help me with this soln awk '{printf "%s %7s \n", $1,$c}' infile where value of variable c I am externally giving input But executing the above command shows all the columns of infile where as I want only 1st column of infile and 2nd column should print value c (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pratik4891
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix File - Adding columns in the middle

Hello, I have a comma separated flat file. It contains some 20 columns. I want to add two new columns at position 2,3. So that file will have 22 columns. I am providing here sample data with file having 4 columns. Appreciate your help in finding solution for this. data in input file:... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: ravi.videla
11 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help needed: Adding columns in csv file in loop

Hi Everyone: My shell script creates multiple csv files (~30) in for loop. I want to compile (or merge) 3rd column from each (all) of these files to another file (in loop). Please help. Thanks. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: smap007
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Perl - adding columns to file

I have a file in which I need to add more columns to based on a key in the first file: File1 key1,abc,123, key2,def,456, key3,ghi,789, File2 key2,zyx,111,qqq, key3,yuu,222,www, key1,pui,333,eee, key4,xxx,999,rrr, I would like to create the following output: Output (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: WongSifu
1 Replies
ParseWords(3)						User Contributed Perl Documentation					     ParseWords(3)

NAME
Text::ParseWords - parse text into an array of tokens or array of arrays SYNOPSIS
use Text::ParseWords; @lists = nested_quotewords($delim, $keep, @lines); @words = quotewords($delim, $keep, @lines); @words = shellwords(@lines); @words = parse_line($delim, $keep, $line); @words = old_shellwords(@lines); # DEPRECATED! DESCRIPTION
The &nested_quotewords() and &quotewords() functions accept a delimiter (which can be a regular expression) and a list of lines and then breaks those lines up into a list of words ignoring delimiters that appear inside quotes. &quotewords() returns all of the tokens in a single long list, while &nested_quotewords() returns a list of token lists corresponding to the elements of @lines. &parse_line() does tokenizing on a single string. The &*quotewords() functions simply call &parse_line(), so if you're only splitting one line you can call &parse_line() directly and save a function call. The $keep argument is a boolean flag. If true, then the tokens are split on the specified delimiter, but all other characters (quotes, backslashes, etc.) are kept in the tokens. If $keep is false then the &*quotewords() functions remove all quotes and backslashes that are not themselves backslash-escaped or inside of single quotes (i.e., &quotewords() tries to interpret these characters just like the Bourne shell). NB: these semantics are significantly different from the original version of this module shipped with Perl 5.000 through 5.004. As an additional feature, $keep may be the keyword "delimiters" which causes the functions to preserve the delimiters in each string as tokens in the token lists, in addition to preserving quote and backslash characters. &shellwords() is written as a special case of &quotewords(), and it does token parsing with whitespace as a delimiter-- similar to most Unix shells. EXAMPLES
The sample program: use Text::ParseWords; @words = quotewords('s+', 0, q{this is "a test" of quotewords "for you}); $i = 0; foreach (@words) { print "$i: <$_> "; $i++; } produces: 0: <this> 1: <is> 2: <a test> 3: <of quotewords> 4: <"for> 5: <you> demonstrating: 0 a simple word 1 multiple spaces are skipped because of our $delim 2 use of quotes to include a space in a word 3 use of a backslash to include a space in a word 4 use of a backslash to remove the special meaning of a double-quote 5 another simple word (note the lack of effect of the backslashed double-quote) Replacing "quotewords('s+', 0, q{this is...})" with "shellwords(q{this is...})" is a simpler way to accomplish the same thing. SEE ALSO
Text::CSV - for parsing CSV files AUTHORS
Maintainer: Alexandr Ciornii <alexchornyATgmail.com>. Previous maintainer: Hal Pomeranz <pomeranz@netcom.com>, 1994-1997 (Original author unknown). Much of the code for &parse_line() (including the primary regexp) from Joerk Behrends <jbehrends@multimediaproduzenten.de>. Examples section another documentation provided by John Heidemann <johnh@ISI.EDU> Bug reports, patches, and nagging provided by lots of folks-- thanks everybody! Special thanks to Michael Schwern <schwern@envirolink.org> for assuring me that a &nested_quotewords() would be useful, and to Jeff Friedl <jfriedl@yahoo-inc.com> for telling me not to worry about error-checking (sort of-- you had to be there). POD ERRORS
Hey! The above document had some coding errors, which are explained below: Around line 250: Expected text after =item, not a number Around line 254: Expected text after =item, not a number Around line 258: Expected text after =item, not a number Around line 262: Expected text after =item, not a number Around line 266: Expected text after =item, not a number perl v5.16.3 2013-03-17 ParseWords(3)