Visit Our UNIX and Linux User Community

Operating Systems Linux Red Hat Netdump over bonded interface ? Post 302336530 by shriyer on Wednesday 22nd of July 2009 09:55:37 AM
Old 07-22-2009
Netdump over bonded interface ?

Netdump over bonded interface ?
Hey there,..
I have heard from admins, that netdump usually fails over a bonded network interface.

I have written a multi-OS checkdump script , which checks if the respective crashdump utility on corresponding OS is correctly configured, space is available, etc etc etc.

For the netdump check, I wanted to add in a check to see if netdump is using bonded interface . How do I do that ? I can easily find out if the system has bonding enabled or if bond0 is up or down .
But I want to know if Netdump is going to use this bonded interface to send out the dump, or the usual interface ?

/etc/sysconfig/netdump doesnt give much of an idea. Does LOCALPORT setting have something to do with it ? It defaults to 6666.
I have minimal understanding about the networking side of this problem, could some one please tell me :
1. How do I find out which network interface (outgoing) netdump is currently configured to use ? How to check if its bonded or not ??

2. I also wanted to do a ethtool $NIC to check if the ethernet link is
down or up, so this brings back to finding out which network interface is used by netdump , eth0 , eth1 , bond0 ??? How can I find this out.

Thanks,
Shrikant

Test Your Knowledge in Computers #829
Difficulty: Medium
The JSON standard supports object references.
True or False?

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux

netdump/netconsole module

I receive the error belong when attempting to load the netconsole module. Does anyone know how I can resolve this? I downloaded RPM from internal site, so it is trusted. >uname -a Linux indigo 2.6.9-34.ELsmp #1 SMP Fri Feb 24 16:56:28 EST 2006 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux > modprobe -a... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: vada010
0 Replies

2. Red Hat

Problems with modules when netdump client starts

Hello, I'm installing a new netdump server and clients. When I try to start a netdump cliente I get the next error: /etc/init.d/netdump start ; echo $? netdump: cannot ping 172.17.128.150 Inicio de netdump /lib/modules/2.4.21-37.ELsmp/kernel/drivers/net/netconsole.o: invalid argument... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: RuBiCK
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Netdump client for FC12

Hi Folks, Do we have netdump client for Fedora 12 ? I have downloaded a netdump-server package for the my netdump-server but can't find netdump client for my FC12 client. When I installed it via yum, it says # yum install netdump Loaded plugins: fastestmirror, presto, security,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: linuxgeek
1 Replies

4. Solaris

Command line Interface or GUI Interface not shown on solaris

Dear all, I am a newbie in solaris and I need your advice. I have a Solaris version 5.9 installed on Sunfire V240. I am able to ssh the machine from putty remotely. My problem is that I cannot see the display from KVM switch I have connected to it. I need also to be able to see the GUI... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mbouster
2 Replies

5. SCO

Change SCO - GUI or Desktop interface to DOS based interface

Hi all I have installed a demo version of SCO OpenServer 5.0.2, I finally found it is Desktop Interface, I would like to know how to change its interface to dos based interface? If you have any ideas, please tell me then. Thank you (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: TinhNhi
2 Replies

6. IP Networking

Need a bridge from an ethernet interface to a serial interface

This is my situation DOS pc serial cable (sl0) Linux Pc eth1 192.168.0.10 <-------------------->192.168.0.2 <------------>192.168.0.1 (router) I connected the linux pc and the dos pc with a SLIP (serial line internet protocol), so they can communicate in the sl0 interface. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mghis
3 Replies

7. Red Hat

how to configure netdump to copy the crash in the server itself??

hi, i would like to configure netdump, but saving the var/crash in the server itself, not in another server. could anybody tell me if this is possible? thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pabloli150
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Adding a network interface to a bonded interface

I have a RHEL 5 system with a bonded interface configure using only one network port (eth0). So I have config file for ifcfg-bond0 and ifcfg-eth. I'd like to configure eth5 to be the second SLAVE in the bond. My question is, after I modify ifcfg-eth5, can I add eth5 to the bond0 interface without... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: westmoreland
1 Replies

9. AIX

Is it possible to configure bonding over bonded interface in AIX?

Hi Everyone, Is it possible to configure bonding over bonded interface in AIX? For example: server has for NIC port: ent0 ent1 ent2 ent3 First I create a EtherChannel ent4 from ent0 and ent1. and then I create a EtherChannel ent5 from ent2 and ent3. Can I create a EtherChannel... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nnnnnnine
1 Replies
IFENSLAVE(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 					      IFENSLAVE(8)

NAME
ifenslave -- Attach and detach slave network devices to a bonding device. SYNOPSIS
ifenslave [-acdfhuvV] [--all-interfaces] [--change-active] [--detach] [--force] [--help] [--usage] [--verbose] [--version] master slave ... DESCRIPTION
ifenslave is a tool to attach and detach slave network devices to a bonding device. A bonding device will act like a normal Ethernet network device to the kernel, but will send out the packets via the slave devices using a simple round-robin scheduler. This allows for simple load- balancing, identical to "channel bonding" or "trunking" techniques used in switches. The kernel must have support for bonding devices for ifenslave to be useful. OPTIONS
-a, --all-interfaces Show information about all interfaces. -c, --change-active Change active slave. -d, --detach Removes slave interfaces from the bonding device. -f, --force Force actions to be taken if one of the specified interfaces appears not to belong to an Ethernet device. -h, --help Display a help message and exit. -u, --usage Show usage information and exit. -v, --verbose Print warning and debug messages. -V, --version Show version information and exit. If not options are given, the default action will be to enslave interfaces. EXAMPLE
The following example shows how to setup a bonding device and enslave two real Ethernet devices to it: # modprobe bonding # ifconfig bond0 192.168.0.1 netmask 255.255.0.0 # ifenslave bond0 eth0 eth1 AUTHOR
ifenslave was originally written by Donald Becker <becker@cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov>, and has since been updated by various kernel developers. This manual page was written by Guus Sliepen <guus@debian.org> for the Debian GNU/Linux system. May 31, 2019

Featured Tech Videos