Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Read only files for all users Post 302336490 by k.ganesh on Wednesday 22nd of July 2009 09:01:59 AM
Old 07-22-2009
Error Read only files for all users

Here my problem.

As a root i created a file, and added the content to the file. Now i want to make this file as read only file for all the user including root. Some how i need to protect this file from all users.I tried using the sticky bit. It works for directories. Do any one have idea how to implement without using sticky bit.

Ganesh K

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Access another users files

Hi, I want to access another users files and directories.Is there any command to do in unix ??.I think CHOWN would work.May i know the exact command for it. Regards, (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: William1482
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

read() wont allow me to read files larger than 2 gig (on a 64bit)

Hi the following c-code utilizing the 'read()' man 2 read method cant read in files larger that 2gig. Hi I've found a strange problem on ubuntu64bit, that limits the data you are allowed to allocate on a 64bit platform using the c function 'read()' The following program wont allow to allocate... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: monkeyking
14 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to read log files from last read

Hi i am looking a way to look at a log file(log.txt) from the last time I've read it. However after some days the main log file(log.txt) is rename to (log.txt.1). So now i will have two log files as below. log.txt.1 log.txt Now, i have to read the log from the point where i have left... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sumitsks
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to prevent a shell script from copy or read from Users

I have a script which do validation check and perform code migration from one env. to another, this is built for users/developers. How can I prevent this shell script from copy or read from users, as they can modify it and run it as per their requirement where as this has to be standard script and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pramendra
1 Replies

5. Solaris

samba read write access to owner and no access to other users

Hi All, I want to configure samba share permission so that only directory creator/owner has a read and write permission and other users should not have any read/write access to that folder.Will that be possible and how can this be achieved within samba configuration. Regards, Sahil (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sahil_shine
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read files in shell script code and run a C program on those files

HI, I am trying to implement a simple shell script program that does not make use of ls or find commands as they are quite expensive on very large sets of files. So, I am trying to generate the file list myself. What I am trying to do is this: 1. Generate a file name using shell script, for... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shoaibjameel123
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to read through a file and create new users/assign them to groups in Ubuntu

Hi all. I need a shell script that can, in short, read through a text file line by line and create a new user in Ubuntu, as well as assign that user to a group. The format of the text file is not important but preferably: 'username:group'. I don't have much programming knowledge no matter shell... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: LewisWeekly
3 Replies
sticky(5)						Standards, Environments, and Macros						 sticky(5)

NAME
sticky - mark files for special treatment DESCRIPTION
The sticky bit (file mode bit 01000, see chmod(2)) is used to indicate special treatment of certain files and directories. A directory for which the sticky bit is set restricts deletion of files it contains. A file in a sticky directory can only be removed or renamed by a user who has write permission on the directory, and either owns the file, owns the directory, has write permission on the file, or is a privi- leged user. Setting the sticky bit is useful for directories such as /tmp, which must be publicly writable but should deny users permission to arbitrarily delete or rename the files of others. If the sticky bit is set on a regular file and no execute bits are set, the system's page cache will not be used to hold the file's data. This bit is normally set on swap files of diskless clients so that accesses to these files do not flush more valuable data from the sys- tem's cache. Moreover, by default such files are treated as swap files, whose inode modification times may not necessarily be correctly recorded on permanent storage. Any user may create a sticky directory. See chmod for details about modifying file modes. SEE ALSO
chmod(1), chmod(2), chown(2), mkdir(2), rename(2), unlink(2) BUGS
The mkdir(2) function will not create a directory with the sticky bit set. SunOS 5.10 1 Aug 2002 sticky(5)