Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to run same script on multiples servers Post 302336315 by mglenney on Tuesday 21st of July 2009 08:15:48 PM
Old 07-21-2009
If you run an ssh command remotely the stdout from the command is returned to your local terminal. You can capture it there and send to a local file. So, say you want the output of the date command from multiple servers put in a file and then emailed. You could just:

Code:
#!/bin/bash
hosts=( host1 host2 host3 )
for ((i=0;i<${#hosts[@]};i++)); do
  ssh me@${hosts[$i]} "date" >> outputfile &
done
wait
mail -s "Results" me@domain.com < outputfile

if it's a script that has to run they you could have it in a shared location and run it

Code:
  ssh me@${hosts[$i]} "/path/to/script.sh" >> outputfile &

If there's something in the script that varies by server you're just going to have to work that out. Either have a different script in each location or, if you need more automation, have it accept command line input for the difference and pass it with the script:

Code:
#!/bin/bash
hosts=( host1 host2 host3 )
var=( var1 var2 var3 )
for ((i=0;i<${#hosts[@]};i++)); do
  ssh me@${hosts[$i]} "/path/to/script.sh ${var[$i]}" >> outputfile &
done
wait
mail -s "Results" me@domain.com < outputfile

(As you can see I'm an array junkie. Might be overkill here. Dunno. Works for me though Smilie If you need any parts of my example explained please don't hesitate to ask)

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh to run servers

I want to write a Kshell program which will start the servers(Oracle,DataIntegrator). Can anybody help me with this? I would appreciate your help. Thanks in advance (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: pari111222
0 Replies

2. AIX

is it ok to run AIX mksysb script on vio servers?

Hi to all now we running mksysb to nim on aix servers. we are planning to take mksysb from vio servers. can we use the same script for vio servers. thanks (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: honeym210
10 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Command to run across servers

Hi, I have to run several unix commands like lsof or sed and need to execute across different servers as part of my monitoring tasks. There are around 40 Unix Servers. It is really cumbersome to run those command on several servers. can some help me in this regard. Is it possible to run... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: john_prince
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need a script to run on multiple mail servers..

Hello, I am a Unix newbie and I need a script in which I can run a command on multiple servers at work. The command is to start a storage process and I am sick of doing it manually on all servers.. Here's the command: /opt/bss/bin/snmptable -CB -v2c -c P67LzuBm hostname hrStorageTable... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kinyyy
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

run vi/vim encrypted shell script without decryption on multiple servers

Hello Everyone, How do we run vi/vim encrypted shell script without decryption on multiple servers. It is a simple bash script and vim -nx <filename> has been used to encrypt with desired password. Now I have few errors, the syntax is absolutely fine as I have run that script multiple times on... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: lovesaikrishna
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Run a script in parts on 2 servers

Hi all, I have a task for which I need to run some commands on one server1 and then jump from the server1 (using ssh and asking user to enter login credentials manually for server2 server) to server2 and run some commands there and exit. I know the script I need here but problem is when I... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: pat_pramod
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Run multiples jobs in background mod

Hi, I have a problem runnig from script two diferents process in background mod. Is there a limitation to do this? For example echo "Running process one:" ./ProcessOne & echo "Running process two:" ./ProcessTwo & echo "The process are runnig. Bye" The problem is that the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Xedrox
7 Replies

8. AIX

How to write a script to run without password on a batch of servers?

I need run a command such as ps -ef |grep xxx on a batch of servers, how to write a script to run it without password? don't need go in each server to check? Thanks (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: rainbow_bean
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Run a script on multiple servers

I need to run a script on a bunch of remote servers. how can this be done without ssh into each individual server and run it its under /sbin/script.sh on each server (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tdubb123
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Run a shell script on all 15 servers at the same time?

We have 15 servers. Hostnames for these 15 servers are stored in a text files and loop through each server to connect to the remote server and run a command, but this loop process runs the command one after another. However, the requirement is to run the same command on all 15 servers at the same... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: laknar
10 Replies
ypset(8)						      System Manager's Manual							  ypset(8)

NAME
ypset - bind ypbind to a particular NIS server SYNOPSYS
ypset [ -d domain ] [ -h hostname ] server DESCRIPTION
In order to run ypset, ypbind must be initiated with the -ypset or -ypsetme options. See ypbind(8). ypset tells ypbind to get NIS ser- vices for the specified domain from the ypserv(8) process running on server. In cases where several hosts on the local net are supplying NIS services, it is possible for ypbind to rebind to another host even while you attempt to find out if the ypset operation succeeded. For example, you can type: example% ypset host1 example% ypwhich host2 which can be confusing. This is a function of the NIS subsystem's attempt to know always a running NIS server, and occurs when host1 does not respond to ypbind because it is not running ypserv (or is overloaded), and host2, running ypserv, gets the binding. Server indicates the NIS server to bind to, and must be specified as a name or an IP address. This will work only if the node has a cur- rent valid binding for the domain in question, and ypbind has been set to allow use of ypset. In most cases, server should be specified as an IP address. OPTIONS
-d domain Specify a domain other than the default domain as returned by domainname(1). -h hostname Set the NIS binding on host hostname instead of the local machine. SEE ALSO
domainname(8), ypbind(8), ypcat(8), ypmatch(1), ypserv(8), yppoll(8), ypwhich(1) AUTHOR
ypset is part of the yp-tools package, which was written by Thorsten Kukuk <kukuk@suse.de>. YP Tools 2.9 May 1998 ypset(8)