Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Finding a flatfile & deleting first line Post 302336072 by fatalxkiss on Tuesday 21st of July 2009 06:30:13 AM
Old 07-21-2009
the problem is that I don't know how I can do sed to remove a line when the file name is only specified by "-f $DEST/$a" as I don't know how to put that into a variable.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Finding a column in a flatfile

I have a file which is fixed width columns. This is an offset buffer - rather than space or tab delimited. There are upto about 8 columns and I need to get all of the column 5's values into another file. The problem is that because the delimiter is a space - and some fields are blank - the 5th... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: peter.herlihy
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding pattern & prepending a line with text

Hello Dudes, I have a task to make a unix shell script that should search for a specific TEXT in a file.If that TEXT is found, shell script should add a comment statement before that TEXT line. Ex : LINE 1 xxxxx LINE 2 xxxx CALL xxxx LINE 3 xxxx PERFORM UNTIL if i... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kirrushna
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with finding certain files, and then deleting

I must really be bad at life today, because I couldn't even find a search option on the forums before asking for help, so I apologize if this is already listed somewhere. I'm pretty new to UNIX, and basically only know enough to be dangerous. I have been appointed a task to basically go to a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Puck
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Is there an efficient way in finding and deleting files?

Hi I have a script to find and delete the files which are say, noDaysOld, I am interested to find the number of such files I am fniding for deleting and then deleting it. So, the script I wrote, first finds the number of such files and then deletes, clearly this is two different steps. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: guruparan18
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting column from a flatfile with delimiter

I have a set of flatfiles which have columns delimited by #. How can a particular column be deleted in all the flatfiles. All flatfiles have same number of columns. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rsprabha
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding duplicate lines and deleting folders based on them

Hi, I have research data, which is organized to 100 folders numbered 00-99. I have many sets of 100 folders, for different values of initial parameters. For some reason, the computer that ran the program to gather the data, didn't always create a unique seed for each folder. I anticipated that... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Jopi
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting a line from a flatfile using Shell Script

Hi All, Can Anyone please tell me,how can I delete a line from a file. I am reading the file line by line using whil loop and validating each line..Suppose in the middle i found a particular line is invalid,i need to delete that particular line. Can anyone please help. Thanks in advance,... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: dinesh1985
14 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

help with finding text and deleting line

HI All, I need to search for a particular pattern input by the user in order to delete the line. My username.txt has username@email.com:John:149.0.3.4:1 username1@email.com:Harry:149.0.3.4:1 username1@email.net:Alex:149.0.3.4:1 username1@email.edu:Nemo:149.0.3.4:1 The program i written ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ichar
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding a match and deleting the line above to it..

Hi All, I have a file with the data: Sun is Hot Moon is cool ; -- Mon Sep 10 08:54:10 CDT 2012 -- Mon Sep 11 08:54:10 CDT 2012 -- Mon Sep 12 08:54:10 CDT 2012 revoke connect from SREE; delete from = 'SREE'; grant connect to SREE with 'fastcar8'; I want to remove the line above... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: raosr020
8 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Deleting a pattern in UNIX without deleting the entire line

Hi I have a file: r58778.3|SOURCES={KEY=f665931a...,fw,221-705}|ERRORS={16_1:T,30_1:T,56_1:C,57_1:T,59_1:A,101_1:A,115:-,158_1:C,186_1:A,204:-,271_1:T,305:-,350_1:C,368_1:G,442_1:C,472_1:G,477_1:A}|SOURCE_1="Contig_1092402550638"(f665931a359e36cea0976db191ff60ff09cc816e) I want to retain... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: Alyaa
15 Replies
uudemon(4)						     Kernel Interfaces Manual							uudemon(4)

NAME
uudemon.admin, uudemon.cleanu, uudemon.hour, uudemon.poll - Administrative shell scripts for polling remote systems, cleaning up spool directories, reporting status to the system administrator, and routine invocations of the uuxqt and uusched daemons SYNOPSIS
These shell scripts reside in the following directory: /usr/lib/uucp DESCRIPTION
All the scripts can be run from the command line or can be run automatically by the cron daemon. To automatically run the scripts, remove the comment character (#) from the beginning of the relevant line in the /var/spool/cron/crontabs/uucp file. This script reports status to the system administrator. It issues the uustat command to find out the status of uucp jobs. It mails the results to the uucp login ID. The script may be modified to send mail to any login ID such as the uucp administrative login ID (uucpa) or root. This script cleans up the /var/spool/uucp and /var/spool/uucppublic directories by running the uucleanup command. The uucleanup com- mand is run with the following parameters: -C7, -D7, X2, -o2, -W1. This script runs the uusched and uuxqt daemons in the background. This script polls the systems listed in the /usr/lib/uucp/Poll file. The uudemon.poll script should be scheduled before the uudemon.hour script. This allows uudemon.poll to create any command files before cron runs the uudemon.hour script. FILES
Contains the uudemon.admin, uudemon.cleanu, uudemon.hour and uudemon.poll files. Contains the uucp file. RELATED INFORMATION
Commands: cron(8), uucleanup(8), uusched(8), uuxqt(1) Files: /usr/lib/uucp delim off uudemon(4)