Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Negative Numbers for input parameters. Post 302335835 by BubbaJoe on Monday 20th of July 2009 03:21:32 PM
Old 07-20-2009
What error/errors are you getting when supply a negative number. I ran a simple script and here is what a have found.
Code:
$ cat ./test.sh
old="$1"
echo $old
$ ./test.sh -5
$

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Input parameters

I have a script which take 3 input parameters 1st - a date (i.e. current date) 2nd - type (i.e. A) 3rd - limit (i.e. 40) normally the date parameter would be current date, so I thought I could do this calculate.sh $(date +%Y-%m-%d) A 40 however, it seems like it can't be done,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mpang_
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Negative Numbers and If Statements

Hi, Can anyone explain what is going on here: michael-browns-powerbook-g4-15:~ msb65$ start=-1 michael-browns-powerbook-g4-15:~ msb65$ stop=1 michael-browns-powerbook-g4-15:~ msb65$ if ; then echo hello; fi -bash: ; then echo hello; fi hello Are you not allowed to compare negative... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: msb65
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl output with negative and positive numbers

Hello, For my weather station I have made a little perl script to put the data into cacti. The next problem I have. I can only get positive numbers or negative numbers. What do I do: Though a shell scrip I call the perl script. Shell script: #!/bin/sh cat data.txt | stats.pl Perl... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rbl-blacklight
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

addition of both positive and negative numbers

Let, I have three numbers +00123.25 -00256.54 +00489.23 I need to sum up all those three numbers, after storing them in three variables (say var1, var2, var3). I used both expr and BC, but they didn't work for me. But, I am not able to sum up them, as I don't have any idea how to... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: mady135
13 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparing Negative Numbers with If/Else

ValA=-29344 if ; then echo "NEGATIVE" else echo "POSITIVE" fi Can someone please tell me how else they would go about doing the above? When i do it, i get errors such as: (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
10 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Splitting a file based on positive and negative numbers

Dear All, I have to split a tab delimited file in two files based on the presence of a positive or negative in column number 9 , for example file: A 1 5 erg + 6766 0.9889 0.9817 9.01882 erg inside upstream B 1 8 erg2 + 6766 0.9889 0.9817 -9.22 erg2 inside... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: paolo.kunder
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sed/awk to find negative numbers and replace with 1?

Greetings. I have a three column file, and there are some numbers in the second column that are <1. However I need all numbers to be positive, thus need to replace all those numbers with just one. I feel like there must be a simple way to use awk to find these numbers and sed to replace but can't... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Twinklefingers
5 Replies

8. AIX

Input parameters

friends and I can validate whether to run the shell has input parameters m event date, I occasionally happen something like this does not work if $ 1 is null then echo has entered input parameters else echo "parameter ok" fi (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tricampeon81
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sorting numerically considering both negative and positve numbers

Dear Experts, I have an IP file which looks like below ---- 100 200 5.02 100 200 -2.99 100 200 -3.01 200 300 2.05 200 300 3.01 200 300 -5.06 I want an OP which looks like (decreasing numerically)-- 100 200 5.02 100 200 -2.99 100 200 -3.01 200 300 3.01 200 300 2.05 200 300 -5.06 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Indra2011
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Splitting a file based on negative and positive numbers

I have a file that is pipe delimited and in Column F they have number values, both positive and negative. I need to take the one file I am starting with and split it into two separate files based on negative and positive numbers. What is the command to do so? And then I need to also transfer... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cckaiser15
4 Replies
CSQRT(3)						   BSD Library Functions Manual 						  CSQRT(3)

NAME
csqrt, csqrtf, csqrtl -- complex square root functions LIBRARY
Math Library (libm, -lm) SYNOPSIS
#include <complex.h> double complex csqrt(double complex z); float complex csqrtf(float complex z); long double complex csqrtl(long double complex z); DESCRIPTION
The csqrt(), csqrtf(), and csqrtl() functions compute the square root of z in the complex plane, with a branch cut along the negative real axis. In other words, csqrt(), csqrtf(), and csqrtl() always return the square root whose real part is non-negative. RETURN VALUES
These functions return the requested square root. The square root of 0 is +0 +- 0, where the imaginary parts of the input and respective result have the same sign. For infinities and NaNs, the following rules apply, with the earlier rules having precedence: Input Result k + infinity*I infinity + infinity*I (for all k) -infinity + NaN*I NaN +- infinity*I infinity + NaN*I infinity + NaN*I k + NaN*I NaN + NaN*I NaN + k*I NaN + NaN*I -infinity + k*I +0 + infinity*I infinity + k*I infinity + 0*I For numbers with negative imaginary parts, the above special cases apply given the identity: csqrt(conj(z) = conj(sqrt(z)) Note that the sign of NaN is indeterminate. Also, if the real or imaginary part of the input is finite and an NaN is generated, an invalid exception will be thrown. SEE ALSO
cabs(3), fenv(3), math(3) STANDARDS
The csqrt(), csqrtf(), and csqrtl() functions conform to ISO/IEC 9899:1999 (``ISO C99''). BUGS
For csqrt() and csqrtl(), inexact results are not always correctly rounded. BSD
March 30, 2008 BSD