Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers identifying running processes Post 302334699 by vgersh99 on Thursday 16th of July 2009 08:45:55 AM
Old 07-16-2009
If on Solaris, 'man ptree' and 'man pgrep'
OR
Code:
ps -ef | nawk -v ppid=<ParentPID> '$3==ppid'

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running two processes in background

hi there, here's what i need in my korn-shell: ... begin korn-shell script ... nohup process_A.ksh ; nohup process_B.ksh & ... "other stuff" ... end lorn-shell script in plain english i want process A and process B to run in the background so that the script can continue doing... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jacob_gs
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to find all processes that are running

Hi i've been googling a lot but can't find an answer. All I would like to know is how to find out all processes that are running on a machine. I know ps gives all YOUR processes. thanks (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: speedieB
9 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

running processes with no hang up

Can we run a script in nohup which calls another script in nohup. eg Script1.sh #Script1 start nohup script2.sh . . . #end script1.sh Now can I do this nohup script1.sh Also is all scheduled processes (crontab entries) will run as nohup? Would appreciate if any one can... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: yakyaj
3 Replies

4. Solaris

Identifying and grouping OS processes and APP processes

Hi Is there an easy way to identify and group currently running processes into OS processes and APP processes. Not all applications are installed as packages. Any free tools or scripts to do this? Many thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wilsonee
2 Replies

5. Solaris

About running processes in background

Hi, I need to establish a procedure that will start an application in background each time my remote Solaris server is (re)started. This would be a kind of daemon. I am no sysadmin expert, so I am looking for pointers. How should I proceed? What are the main steps? Thanks, JVerstry (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: JVerstry
9 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to know the running processes.

Hi can anybody help me regarding this.. i want know the output of ps -ef with explanation. how can we know the running processess. this is the output of ps -elf F S UID PID PPID C PRI NI ADDR SZ WCHAN STIME TTY TIME CMD 19 T root 0 0 0 0 SY ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rajesh_pola
1 Replies

7. Solaris

Running processes on GZ/LZ

Hi guys just a question is it normal to see running process on a non-global zone in the global zone... processes such as cron. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: batas
3 Replies

8. Linux

Running processes

Hi guys is it normal to have 5-10 cron/syslog processes running... in my case i got 10 cron process running. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: batas
4 Replies

9. Solaris

Sendmail processes not running

Hi All! I am trying to get sendmail to work but unsuccessfull...when I run ps -ef | grep sendmail root 10578 10561 0 11:01:24 pts/1 0:00 grep sendmail I do not see its processes When I run the following commands: bash-3.00# svcs sendmail svcs: Pattern 'sendmail' doesn't match... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: fretagi
9 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Many processes running at the same time

Hello everybody , I launched cron to execute a task every hour but the job takes more than hour that's why I'm getting more than 1000 cron processes running at the same time !!! My question is how to tell cron not to execute unless the job terminated in order to have only one process running .... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: beautymind
14 Replies
KILLALL5(8)						Linux System Administrator's Manual					       KILLALL5(8)

NAME
killall5 -- send a signal to all processes. SYNOPSIS
killall5 -signalnumber [-o omitpid[,omitpid..]] [-o omitpid[,omitpid..]..] DESCRIPTION
killall5 is the SystemV killall command. It sends a signal to all processes except kernel threads and the processes in its own session, so it won't kill the shell that is running the script it was called from. Its primary (only) use is in the rc scripts found in the /etc/init.d directory. OPTIONS
-o omitpid Tells killall5 to omit processes with that process id. NOTES
killall5 can also be invoked as pidof, which is simply a (symbolic) link to the killall5 program. EXIT STATUS
The program return zero if it killed processes. It return 2 if no process were killed, and 1 if it was unable to find any processes (/proc/ is missing). SEE ALSO
halt(8), reboot(8), pidof(8) AUTHOR
Miquel van Smoorenburg, miquels@cistron.nl 04 Nov 2003 KILLALL5(8)