Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting HELP! Group by in shell script (awk/sed?) Post 302333984 by sncoupons on Tuesday 14th of July 2009 12:11:56 PM
Old 07-14-2009
HELP! Group by in shell script (awk/sed?)

Hello,

Could some expert soul please help me with this? I have following file format -

Code:
task             time
abc                5
xyz                4
abc                5
xyz                3
ddd                10
ddd                2

I need to generate output as -

Code:
task           min              max           avg
abc             5                  5              5
xyz              3                  4             3.5
ddd             2                  10             6

I am new to awk/sed and need help. I wrote followiing but that totals up instead of breaking down in min, max and average.

awk -F"|" '{arr[$1]+=$2} END {for (i in arr) {print i, arr[i]}}' datafile

Please help!!

Big Thanks in advance..

Last edited by vgersh99; 07-14-2009 at 01:40 PM.. Reason: code tags, PLEASE!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk/sed/ksh script to cleanup /etc/group file

Many of my servers' /etc/group file have many userid's that does not exist in /etc/passwd file and they need to be deleted. This happened due to manual manipulation of /etc/passwd files. I need to do this for 40 servers. Can anyone help me in achieving this? Even reducing a step or two will be... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: pdtak
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script(Preferably awk or sed) to print selected number of columns from each row

Hi Experts, The question may look very silly by seeing the title, but please have a look at it clearly. I have a text file where the first 5 columns in each row were supposed to be attributes of a sample(like sample name, number, status etc) and the next 25 columns are parameters on which... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ks_reddy
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to rename a group of files

Hello, I am having 1800 files in a directory with a specified format, like amms_850o_prod.000003uNy amms_850o_prod.000003u8x amms_850o_prod.000003taP amms_850o_prod.000003tKy amms_850o_prod.000003si4 amms_850o_prod.000003sTP amms_850o_prod.000003sBg amms_850o_prod.000003rvx... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: atlantis
12 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split line to multiple files Awk/Sed/Shell Script help

Hi, I need help to split lines from a file into multiple files. my input look like this: 13 23 45 45 6 7 33 44 55 66 7 13 34 5 6 7 87 45 7 8 8 9 13 44 55 66 77 8 44 66 88 99 6 I want to split every 3 lines from this file to be written to individual files. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: saint2006
3 Replies

5. Programming

Shell script using sed or awk

Hi, I want to read a file from the command line and remove all the spaces, tabs in it, replacing it with comma(,), and write it to a new file. can you help me out with this scenario. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sudhanshu12788
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script to ignore # and take corresponding user and group

Hi, I have a following file: role.IMPACT_USER.user=admin role.IMPACT_USER.user=dd12345 role.IMPACT_USER.user=ss76767 #role.IMPACT_USER.user=root #role.IMPACT_USER.group=System role.IMPACT_USER.group=ImpactUser #Description: Allow users to login in to Impact, start and stop service... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dbashyam
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unable to pass shell script variable to awk command in same shell script

I have a shell script (.sh) and I want to pass a parameter value to the awk command but I am getting exception, please assist. diff=$1$2.diff id=$2 new=new_$diff echo "My id is $1" echo "I want to sync for user account $id" ##awk command I am using is as below cat $diff | awk... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ashunayak
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script - group by

Hi, I have text file as shown below. root 25 oracle 25 batch 30 griduser 32 admin 35 root 25 oracle 25 batch 30 griduser 32 oracle 25 batch 30 griduser 32 xuser 45 admin 35 I want to group by based on user name, and the output need to be as below. Not necessary the username to be... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: baladelaware73
10 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script to Group by Based on Multiple Fields in a file

Hi, I want to know if there is any simple approach to SUM a field based on group by of different fields for e.g. file1.txt contains below data 20160622|XXX1||50.00||50.00|MONEY|Plan1| 20160622|XXX1||100.00||100.00|MONEY|Plan1| 20160623|XXX1||25.00||25.00|MONEY|Plan1|... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cnu_theprince
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Emulate group-by in shell script

Hello All, I saw this problem on one of the forum and solved it using group-by in oracle sql, though I am a bit curious to implement it using shell script : There is a file having number of operations : Opeation,Time-Taken operation1,83621 operation2,72321 operation3,13288... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: mukulverma2408
11 Replies
exit(1) 							   User Commands							   exit(1)

NAME
exit, return, goto - shell built-in functions to enable the execution of the shell to advance beyond its sequence of steps SYNOPSIS
sh exit [n] return [n] csh exit [ ( expr )] goto label ksh *exit [n] *return [n] DESCRIPTION
sh exit will cause the calling shell or shell script to exit with the exit status specified by n. If n is omitted the exit status is that of the last command executed (an EOF will also cause the shell to exit.) return causes a function to exit with the return value specified by n. If n is omitted, the return status is that of the last command exe- cuted. csh exit will cause the calling shell or shell script to exit, either with the value of the status variable or with the value specified by the expression expr. The goto built-in uses a specified label as a search string amongst commands. The shell rewinds its input as much as possible and searches for a line of the form label: possibly preceded by space or tab characters. Execution continues after the indicated line. It is an error to jump to a label that occurs between a while or for built-in command and its corresponding end. ksh exit will cause the calling shell or shell script to exit with the exit status specified by n. The value will be the least significant 8 bits of the specified status. If n is omitted then the exit status is that of the last command executed. When exit occurs when executing a trap, the last command refers to the command that executed before the trap was invoked. An end-of-file will also cause the shell to exit except for a shell which has the ignoreeof option (See set below) turned on. return causes a shell function or '.' script to return to the invoking script with the return status specified by n. The value will be the least significant 8 bits of the specified status. If n is omitted then the return status is that of the last command executed. If return is invoked while not in a function or a '.' script, then it is the same as an exit. On this man page, ksh(1) commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words, following a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment, are expanded with the same rules as a vari- able assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign and word splitting and file name generation are not performed. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
break(1), csh(1), ksh(1), sh(1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 15 Apr 1994 exit(1)