Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Execute a shell script after a particular command is run Post 302333654 by TonyFullerMalv on Monday 13th of July 2009 05:59:21 PM
Old 07-13-2009
If you stored the sum value of the output from crontab -l somewhere then you could run a conjob to compare the actual sum value from crontab -l with the stored one and run something if they were different.

Manual setup:
Code:
# crontab -l | sum > /root/crontab-l.sum

Script to run from root cron:
Code:
LIVECRONSUM=`crontab -l | sum`
STOREDCRONSUM=`cat /root/crontab-l.sum`
if [ ${LIVECRONSUM} -ne ${STOREDCRONSUM} ]; then
  #run something
  logger -p daemon.notice "The root user crontab has changed!"
  # updated stored value so that the above only runs once
  crontab -l | sum > /root/crontab-l.sum
fi

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script to execute user command

I don't know why the following shell script doesn't work. Could you please help me out? #!/usr/bin/ksh test="cal > /tmp/tmp.txt 2>&1" $test I know it will work for the following format: #!/usr/bin/ksh cal > /tmp/tmp.txt 2>&1 However, I need to get the command from the user in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: redtiger
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

write a shell script to execute a command

Hello all, I have just started doing shell scripting. I want to read a file which stores the status of my job I have submitted on a cluster. The file looks something like this : ========================FILE============================= crab: Checking the status of all jobs: please wait... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: learn_linux
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ssh command to execute shell script in another server

ssh -q <hostname> /opt/tcs/satish/tst.ksh ssh -q <anotherserver> /opt/tcs/satish/tst.ksh tst.ksh has "nohup <command> & " when i execute below script , its throwing error as nohup can not be found ssh -q <anotherserver> /opt/tcs/satish/tst.ksh > log & can someone let me... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: only4satish
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to execute command after telneting in shell script?

Hi , I have to write a shell script to telnet to specific host and execute the admin command there. Please help me to do that. Eg : telnet hostname portno admin command exit (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: arukuku
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

When i am trying to execute export command within a shell script it is saying command not found.

I am running the export command within a view to use that value inside my build script. But while executing it it is saying "export command not found" My code is as follows: -------------------------- #!/bin/sh user="test" DIR="/bldtmp/"$user VIEW="test.view1" echo "TMPDIR before export... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dchoudhury
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

run command in a script shell

Hello, Please i'd like to run command in a script shell , how can i do ? here my commands : cd blcr-build // run command in this rep sudo insmod ./blcr_imports/kbuild/blcr_imports.ko //root sudo insmod ./cr_module/kbuild/blcr.ko //root Thank you. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chercheur857
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help me!how to run autosys command in UNIX shell script

Hi all, Here is my scenario.. i need to get dates from an existing autosys calendar and compare it with current date with in a unix shell script. Please help me out and give me an approach to handle this....... the general autosys calendar command used is autocal_asc ,but this is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shrik12345
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to execute Oracle relocation command in shell script

Hello, I need to execute below command in shell script srvctl relocate service -d $database -s $service -i $avail -t $pref -f and also need to get the errors ,if any,in another file. What's the right way to execute such commands in shell script? Best regards, Vishal (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Vishal_dba
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to execute application command in shell script?

friends, i have application commands to execute in shell script it is something like this. i will login with user data it takes me to $ prompt. Example given below login: data ps : xxxx $ MNSinput --this takes me to greater than prompt > > ops --this is command i enter this output... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: udaykrishna
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed working on command line but file unchanged when execute with Shell script

I have a simple task to replace unix line feed end of line characters with carriage returns. When I run the following “change file in place” sed instruction from the command line all the Line feeds are successfully replaced with Carriage returns. sed -i 's/$/\r/' lf_file.txt But that same... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hawkman2k
1 Replies
bcrontab(1)						      General Commands Manual						       bcrontab(1)

NAME
bcrontab - Manage users crontab files SYNOPSIS
bcrontab [ -u user ] file bcrontab [ -u user ] { -l | -r | -e } DESCRIPTION
bcrontab interfaces with the bcron-spool daemon to manage crontab files in the privileged spool directory. OPTIONS
-u user Tell bcron-spool that we are acting on behalf of the named user. bcron-spool will only accept the username if bcrontab is running as either root or the same user ID as the named user. -l List the cronab crontab to standard output. -r Remove the user's crontab. -e Edit the current crontab. ENVIRONMENT
VISUAL If this is set, it is used as the editor to invoke to edit a crontab. EDITOR If $VISUAL is not set and this is, it is used as the editor to invoke to edit a crontab. If neither are set, /bin/vi is used. BCRON_SOCKET The path to the named socket used to communicate with bcron-spool. Defaults to /var/run/bcron-spool. LOGNAME USER These two variables are used, in order, to determine the user name invoking the program. One must be set if the -u option is not used. FILES
bcrontab tries to writes a temporary file into the current directory, and then into /tmp if that fails, in order to edit the current crontab. SEE ALSO
bcron-spool(8), crontab(5) AUTHOR
Bruce Guenter <bruceg@em.ca> bcrontab(1)