Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: PATH issue on linux
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat PATH issue on linux Post 302332675 by mark54g on Thursday 9th of July 2009 09:32:41 PM
Old 07-09-2009
I agree. Using relative paths for the PATH variable is a poor way of handling it.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

issue with PATH

hello On Debian Lenny, I first ran apt-get install git-core and then removed it to install from source. The trouble is that when I typed git --version, I am get: -bash: /usr/bin/git: No such file or directory of course, git is now in /usr/local/bin I don't understand why since... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: JCR
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

library path in linux

Is there something which is an alternative to the variable LD_LIBRARY_PATH? The behaviour of this variable is that the path specified here will be checked before checking usual paths. But I want to have some folders checked for shared libraries after the usual paths. i.e usual paths have to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bbala
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

PLease HELP!!! PATH variable issue

Hello, I logged in to the unix solaris with my user name and then I again logged in with the sudo bash -l command now when I do echo $PATH It shows me => /usr/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin/usr/sbin:/usr/ucb:/usr/local/bin How do i find out where is this file located for setting the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: siddhans
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

LaunchAgent file path issue

This is weirdly a linux question I suppose. Im having a problem with this code the file path is fine if I don't use the ~ and put in the user /Users/tempuser/.... This will be installed on more than one computer and changing the plist for every install is going to become tedious. Is there... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: digitalviking
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Path variable in Linux?

Hi guys, In Windows, whenever I want a execute a program using just a relative path on the command prompt, I simply edit the 'Path' variable and append my parent directory. Is there something like this available in Unix? I have a binary for Virtualbox called VBoxManage that I want to execute... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: silverdust
6 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Prompt path display issue

I use the following command to print the current directory above the command prompt set prompt="`exec pwd`\n$USER@`hostname -s` %B: % > " The output is something like this <current path> $USER@hostname > But when I try to CD to any other directory and press the return key, the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: aelhosiny
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh - variable to be set to windows path issue

Greetings Experts, I need to pass a parameter to ksh and the value is windows path eg: sh abc.txt C:\Users\chill3chee\Desktop No matter I try with \ delimiter, still could not get this exact value assigned to the shell variable which was checked with echo. Tried with using... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chill3chee
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Simple sed command not working; could be a Mac/Linux vs. PC/Linux issue

Hello, I am on a Mac and trying to clean up some monthly files with a very simple SED: sed '3,10d;/<ACROSS>/,$d' input.txt > output.txt (from the input, delete lines 3 - 10; then delete from the line containing <ACROSS> to the end of the file) then output to output.txt Even when I try... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: verbatim
2 Replies

9. AIX

issue AIX MPIO path closed

Hello, I have encountered the issue on my AIX 6.1. As you can see below, the hdisk1 & hdisk8 are not recognized by the system / > lspv hdisk0 00fa6d1288c820aa rootvg active hdisk1 00fa6d1288c8213c None hdisk2 ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Phat
9 Replies

10. Linux

Enye issue filenaming and path

Hi All, Is there anyone encounter filenaming with Ñ or ñ reading?. Is the any other way to handle enye both redhat environment and java? We look in the log and founfout reading pathname or filename with enye Ñ, look like MONTA?O instead of MONTAÑO. We tried to transfer files from my windows... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lxdorney
4 Replies
getusershell(3C)					   Standard C Library Functions 					  getusershell(3C)

NAME
getusershell, setusershell, endusershell - get legal user shells SYNOPSIS
#include <unistd.h> char *getusershell(void); void setusershell(void); void endusershell(void); DESCRIPTION
The getusershell() function returns a pointer to a legal user shell as defined by the system manager in the file /etc/shells. If /etc/shells does not exist, the following locations of the standard system shells are used in its place: /bin/bash /bin/csh /bin/jsh /bin/ksh /bin/ksh93 /bin/pfcsh /bin/pfksh /bin/pfsh /bin/sh /bin/tcsh /bin/zsh /sbin/jsh /sbin/pfsh /sbin/sh /usr/bin/bash /usr/bin/csh /usr/bin/jsh /usr/bin/ksh /usr/bin/ksh93 /usr/bin/pfcsh /usr/bin/pfksh /usr/bin/pfsh /usr/bin/sh /usr/bin/tcsh /usr/bin/zsh /usr/sfw/bin/zsh /usr/xpg4/bin/sh The getusershell() function opens the file /etc/shells, if it exists, and returns the next entry in the list of shells. The setusershell() function rewinds the file or the list. The endusershell() function closes the file, frees any memory used by getusershell() and setusershell(), and rewinds the file /etc/shells. RETURN VALUES
The getusershell() function returns a null pointer on EOF. BUGS
All information is contained in memory that may be freed with a call to endusershell(), so it must be copied if it is to be saved. NOTES
Restricted shells should not be listed in /etc/shells. SunOS 5.11 1 Nov 2007 getusershell(3C)