Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Help Understanding Output and question about /dev/ Post 302332662 by Corona688 on Thursday 9th of July 2009 07:13:18 PM
Old 07-09-2009
It sounds like the label wasn't put into the swap partition when it was formatted, hence centos can't find it on boot. That it says its mounting swap may only mean its at the point where it would, not that it's actually found it. You can reformat the swap partion with mkswap -L label /path/to/device

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

/dev question

RH 7.2 My machine has an LCD screen on the front of the panel. I've been given software to control some text on the LCD. The software checks /dev/tts/1 for the LCD. Since I don't have any /dev/tts directory, the developer told me just to make a link from the LCD to /dev/tts/1, but I don't... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jalburger
4 Replies

2. Solaris

What is /dev/tty /dev/null and /dev/console

Hi, Anyone can help My solaris 8 system has the following /dev/null , /dev/tty and /dev/console All permission are lrwxrwxrwx Can this be change to a non-world write ?? any impact ?? (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: civic2005
12 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

/dev/fd question

what exactly is going on in this piece of code? what is the role of /dev/fd? i know that /dev/fd/0 is somehow linked to standard input, but that's the extent of my knowledge cat header.txt /dev/fd/0 footer.txt (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: momo.reina
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Understanding the output command

Could you please explain me whats happening in the below code, appreciate your help, Thank you. /product/apps/informatica/v7/pc/ExtProc/NewDAC/dacRecBuilder.sh /product/apps/informatica/v7/pc/TgtFiles/NEW_DAC/DAC_Pos_TradeInv_Records.out ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ariean
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to output 1s endlessly like /dev/zero?

/dev/zero can output 0's (null characters) endlessly. I am looking for a technique to output 1's (0xFF or 0b11111111) endlessly in a similar manner as /dev/zero. The following dd statement writes 4 terabytes of 0's to the drive /dev/sdb. This dd statement does not cause any memory shortage. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: LessNux
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Understanding the output of TOP

ok, so I have a script im running on a linux box that uses "egrep" a lot. now, when i run this script, i check the TOP to see how much system resource it is using. the "top" command gives the following output: last pid: 25384; load avg: 1.06, 1.04, 0.76; up 351+06:30:24 ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Understanding nm command output

After running nm command on any object file from out put can we get to know that wheather a symbol is a call to a function or definition of function ? I am searching a class and function definitions inside many .so files. I have 3 files which contain the symbol but I don't know wheather they... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: yatrik007
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Understanding the output of fwtmp

Hi all, First time post, so please be gentle. :) I'm writing a Solaris 10 ksh script to retrieve details of logins and logouts using specific user names. The details I want are quite basic - the username, the computer logged in from, and the date and time the user logged in and logged off.... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: confusedAdmin
6 Replies

9. Red Hat

Command understanding the output file destination in case of standard output!!!!!

I ran the following command. cat abc.c > abc.c I got message the following message from command cat: cat: abc.c : input file is same as the output file How the command came to know of the destination file name as the command is sending output to standard file. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ravisingh
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simply question about capturing output to /dev/tty

Suppose another person wrote the following one-line shell script: echo $RANDOM > /dev/tty QUESTION #1: How can the random number, which is output to the terminal by this script, be captured in a variable? QUESTION #2: How can this be done in a cron job? Specific code, whether in ksh or... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Paul R
1 Replies
SWAPLABEL(8)						       System Administration						      SWAPLABEL(8)

NAME
swaplabel - print or change the label or UUID of a swap area SYNOPSIS
swaplabel [-L label] [-U UUID] device DESCRIPTION
swaplabel will display or change the label or UUID of a swap partition located on device (or regular file). If the optional arguments -L and -U are not given, swaplabel will simply display the current swap-area label and UUID of device. If an optional argument is present, then swaplabel will change the appropriate value on device. These values can also be set during swap creation using mkswap(8). The swaplabel utility allows to change the label or UUID on an actively used swap device. OPTIONS
-h, --help Display help text and exit. -L, --label label Specify a new label for the device. Swap partition labels can be at most 16 characters long. If label is longer than 16 charac- ters, swaplabel will truncate it and print a warning message. -U, --uuid UUID Specify a new UUID for the device. The UUID must be in the standard 8-4-4-4-12 character format, such as is output by uuidgen(1). AUTHOR
swaplabel was written by Jason Borden <jborden@bluehost.com> and Karel Zak <kzak@redhat.com>. AVAILABILITY
The swaplabel command is part of the util-linux package and is available from ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util-linux/. SEE ALSO
mkswap(8), swapon(8), uuidgen(1) util-linux April 2010 SWAPLABEL(8)