Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting searching a log file and appending to a .txt file Post 302331625 by enator45 on Monday 6th of July 2009 05:56:05 PM
Old 07-06-2009
yes, this I've been able to figure out. Though, I don't quite understand the need to use cat in your moderate example.

After googling for a while, I figured I could pull out just the string using grep -o pattern filename, but it doesn't work for me. Next I tried to just pull out the substring I need using the below, but that isn't working for me either...

freeMem=`grep ",.*free mem," testlog.txt`
echo ${freeMem:22:2} ## get an error that says bad substitution.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

help searching log file with dates

Im tyring to create a script that will show me any lines in a file with todays date and yesterdays, the date format in the file is as follows ----- amqxfdcx.c : 728 -------------------------------------------------------- 07/12/05 09:53:20 AMQ6109: An internal WebSphere MQ error has... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: csaunders
3 Replies

2. Linux

Searching for gaps in huge (2.2G) log file?

I've got a 2.2 Gig syslog file from our Cisco firewall appliance. The problem is that we've been seeing gaps in the syslog for anywhere from 10 minutes to 2 hours. Currently I've just been using 'less' and paging through the file to see if I can find any noticeable gaps. Obviously this isn't the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: deckard
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Date Not appending in log file

Hi experts . . . Sunsolaris 9 version I have the script as below: Am getting log file as : archive_today_.log Please suggest. ################################################## set 'date' dd=$3 mon=$2 export mon yyyy=$6 export yyyy cd /oracle/P47/saparch (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vrjalli
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Binary txt file received when i use uuencode to send txt file as attachment

Hi, I have already read a lot of posts on sending attachments in unix...but none of them were of help for my problem...so here goes.. i wanna attach a text file and send to a mail id..used the following code : uuencode "$File1" "$File1" ;|mail -s "$Mail_sub" abc@abc.com it works... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ash22
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to convert a .log file into .txt file under unix??

Hi Friends, I have a .log file generated from a tool(Windows PC) which can be opened using a notepad, but when I tried to view the file in unix (cygwin on my laptop) the file type is showing as binary file, So I am unable to process the file. I need to extract some of the selected text... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ks_reddy
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Searching for a string in a log file with little movement

I have a script which tails a log file and if it finds certain strings in the data tailed it sends an email, basically like this: tail -f logfile > tmp.file & sleep 10 kill $! STRING=$(grep -c "string" tmp.file) && echo $STRING | mailx -s "Warning.." admin@123.com When the string is... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Moxy
10 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Searching for Log / Bad file and Reading and writing to a flat file

Need to develop a unix shell script for the below requirement and I need your assistance: 1) search for file.log and file.bad file in a directory and read them 2) pull out "Load_Start_Time", "Data_File_Name", "Error_Type" from log file 4) concatinate each row from bad file as... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mlpathir
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

To log binary file output to a txt file

Hi, I wrote a small script whose function is to execute the postemsg provided if the threshold breaches. I want to log this postemsg messages to a log file. But I am not able to do. Can someone throw some light on how to log the output of this. I am pasting a snippet of that code. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dbashyam
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

searching a file with a specified text without using conventional file searching commands

without using conventional file searching commands like find etc, is it possible to locate a file if i just know that the file that i'm searching for contains a particular text like "Hello world" or something? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: arindamlive
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unable to attach a .txt file or .log file to mail and mailx command

Hi, I am trying to attach a .log file or .txt file to mail command to send an email once my ksh script executed. I am unable to use mutt command as it has been not installed and i am not supposed to install it. I have tried many ways by googling which has not helped me to succeed. Here is my... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Samah
5 Replies
lsmsad(8)						      System Manager's Manual							 lsmsad(8)

NAME
lsmsad - Starts the Storage Administrator (SA) daemon SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/lsmsad DESCRIPTION
The SA daemon, lsmsad, is a process required by lsmsa, the SA graphical user interface (GUI). The daemon issues commands and obtains system information on behalf of SA. The SA daemon runs on a Tru64 UNIX system on which LSM is initialized and running. The SA client runs on any machine that supports the Java Runtime Environment. The SA daemon is automatically started at boot time. Under normal conditions, the daemon does not need to be run manually. If SA does not start during the boot process, enter: /sbin/init.d/lsmsa stop To restart SA, enter: /sbin/init.d/lsmsa start Only one SA daemon can be running on a system at a given time. If a second SA daemon attempts to start, it will fail. RESTRICTIONS
You must be root user to run lsmsad. FILES
The script that starts lsmsad at boot time. The command log file that tracks SA tasks. The access log file that tracks login to SA. The server log file that tracks server startup information and server errors. The log maintenance shell script that saves and compresses log files. SEE ALSO
lsmsa(8), volintro(8) lsmsad(8)