Sponsored Content
Special Forums Hardware Filesystems, Disks and Memory Installed memory ≠ usable size? Post 302331018 by otheus on Friday 3rd of July 2009 05:49:20 AM
Old 07-03-2009
You installed 2 GB and you're wondering if "only" 4 is supported? Strange question.

Are you concerned about the "usable size"? This is most likely video RAM and the space allocated by the BIOS.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to get amount of memory installed.

Hi! I'm not a UNIX fanatic but I like using it for the Oracle database since it's not stable in the Windows NT environment (what is?). Problem: Is there any command to show me the amount of installed physical-memory in the machine? Is there some other way to show the processes which uses... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: elgholm
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Size of Installed RAM ?

Is it possible from the command line, or by looking at one of the log files to find out the amount of RAM installed on my SCO Unix 5.05 Server? I also need to find out H/Disk size and Processor speed but I think i'll do a search of the forums for those ones. Thanks RamblasPro (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: RamblasPro
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

memory size under AIX

Hi, how to know size of physical memory under AIX ? Many thanks. PS : man -k memory man : 0703-310 Fichier man introuvable. uname -a AIX server1 1 5 005202DF4C00 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: big123456
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

User perl to get memory installed in a machine

I currently have a statistics gathering script i run on my Linux servers. One of the stat i gather is total memory in the machine. The script is all perl with the exception of gathering the memory for that i use the following command: $ram = (`cat /proc/meminfo | grep "MemTotal" | awk... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: insania
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Out of Memory error when free memory size is large

I was running a program and it stopped and showed "Out of Memory!". at that time, the RAM used by this process is around 4G and the free memory size of the machine is around 30G. Does anybody know what maybe the reason? this program is written with Perl. the OS of the machine is Solaris U8. And I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lilili07
1 Replies

6. Solaris

Memory or CPU size

Is there a command or file I can look at that tells me how much real memory a machine has? A little background. In my shop we run a bunch of java programs, sometimes some of these jobs have config definitions that call for 2G. I would like to know how many I can run before I exhaust rescources. Any... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Harleyrci
12 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Getting file size from memory

i want to avoid writing to a file on the disk. i'd like to do this in memory. i have a situation where i'm running cat file.txt | head -l 2024 > /tmp/data.txt now, i check the size of the data.txt by doing a "du -sh /tmp/data.txt how can i get the size of "head -l 2024" WITHOUT having to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
2 Replies

8. Solaris

T5220 How to determine physical memory installed?

Hi, looking to upgrade memory on a pair of T5220's from 32GB to 64GB. Cannot determine current DIMM size and slots used. i.e. not sure if Qty 16 x 2GB or Qty 8 x 4GB. If there are no empty slots, i need to go with higher density DIMMs and retire exsisting the 2GB prtdiag follows. #... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: edrew
3 Replies

9. Programming

Size of memory used by a program

Hello, Here is a portion of my code: a=(int *) malloc(dim*dim*sizeof(int)); b=(int *) malloc(dim*dim*sizeof(int)); c=(int *) malloc(dim*dim*sizeof(int)); for(i=0;i<dim;i++) for(j=0;j<dim;j++) c= rand(); for(i=0;i<dim;i++) for(j=0;j<dim;j++) b=rand(); ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: chercheur111
6 Replies

10. AIX

Installed Memory 32GB but shows only 16GB

Hello facing this problem in VIOS installed memory shows 32GB Installed system memory: 32 GB (32768 MB) Configurable system memory: 16 GB (16384 MB) Current memory available: 2.23 GB (2288 MB) Pending memory available: 2.23 GB (2288 MB) Reserved firmware memory: 560 MB ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: filosophizer
8 Replies
VGA(4)							   BSD Kernel Interfaces Manual 						    VGA(4)

NAME
vga -- generic video card interface SYNOPSIS
options VESA options VESA_DEBUG=N options VGA_ALT_SEQACCESS options VGA_NO_FONT_LOADING options VGA_NO_MODE_CHANGE options VGA_SLOW_IOACCESS options VGA_WIDTH90 device vga In /boot/device.hints: hint.vga.0.at="isa" DESCRIPTION
The vga driver is a generic video card driver which provides access to video cards. This driver is required for the console driver syscons(4). The console driver will call the vga driver to manipulate video hardware (changing video modes, loading font, etc). The vga driver supports the standard video cards: MDA, CGA, EGA and VGA. In addition, the driver can utilize VESA BIOS extensions if the video card supports them. VESA support can either be statically included in the kernel or can be loaded as a separate module. In order to statically link the VESA support to the kernel, the VESA option (see below) must be defined in the kernel configuration file. The vesa module can be dynamically loaded into the kernel using kldload(8). DRIVER CONFIGURATION
Kernel Configuration Options The following kernel configuration options (see config(8)) can be used to control the vga driver. These options provide compatibility with certain VGA cards. VGA_ALT_SEQACCESS You may want to try this option if the mouse pointer is not drawn correctly or the font does not seem to be loaded properly on the VGA card. However, it may cause flicker on some systems. VGA_SLOW_IOACCESS Older VGA cards may require this option for proper operation. It makes the driver perform byte-wide I/O to VGA registers and slow down a little. VGA_WIDTH90 This option enables 90 column modes: 90x25, 90x30, 90x43, 90x50, 90x60. These modes are not always supported by the video card and the display. It is highly likely that LCD display cannot work with these modes. The following options add optional features to the driver. VESA Add VESA BIOS support to the driver. If the VGA card has the VESA BIOS extension 1.2 or later, this option will utilize the VESA BIOS service to switch to high resolution modes. VESA_DEBUG=N Set the VESA support debug level to N. The default value is zero, which suppresses all debugging output. The following options will remove some features from the vga driver and save kernel memory. VGA_NO_FONT_LOADING The vga driver can load software font to EGA and VGA cards. This option removes this feature. Note that if you use this option and still wish to use the mouse on the console then you must also use the SC_ALT_MOUSE_IMAGE option. See syscons(4). VGA_NO_MODE_CHANGE This option prevents the driver from changing video modes. EXAMPLES
Your kernel configuration should normally have: device vga And you need the following line in /boot/device.hints. hint.vga.0.at="isa" The following lines should be included in the kernel configuration file in order to enable the VESA BIOS Extension support. options VESA device vga If you do not want VESA support included in the kernel, but want to use occasionally, do not add the VESA option. And load the vesa module as desired: kldload vesa SEE ALSO
vgl(3), syscons(4), config(8), kldload(8), kldunload(8) STANDARDS
Video Electronics Standards Association, VESA BIOS Extension (VBE). HISTORY
The vga driver first appeared in FreeBSD 3.1. AUTHORS
The vga driver was written by Soren Schmidt <sos@FreeBSD.org> and Kazutaka Yokota <yokota@FreeBSD.org>. This manual page was written by Kazutaka Yokota. BSD
June 30, 1999 BSD