Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Printing the sum of a numbers Post 302328925 by chrs0302 on Thursday 25th of June 2009 01:14:26 PM
Old 06-25-2009
Printing the sum of a numbers

Hi

I am writing a script that will produce the total of the digits with in the number. Here is the script.

[root@***/]-bash# cat Sum_Digits
if [ "$? -lt 1" ]
then
echo "You must enter at least two digits"
echo "If you enter more than two digits after the base line program this script will print the sum of the digits"
echo "For examples if you enter $0 456 then this script will print the sum of the three digits as 15 (4+5+6)"
fi

n=$1
sd=0
sum=0

while [ "$n" -gt "0" ]
do
sd=`expr $n % 10`
sum=`expr $sum + $sd`
n=`expr $n / 10`
done

echo "The sum of the number: $sum"

The script works fine when I mentioned the number following the base line program as shown below

[root@*** /]-bash# ./Sum_Digits 45667
You must enter at least two digits
If you enter more than two digits after the base line program this script will print the sum of the digits
For examples if you enter ./Sum_Digits 456 then this script will print the sum of the three digits as 15 (4+5+6)
The sum of the number: 28

But it fails when I just enter the script with out any number

[root@crjueyudev01 /]-bash# ./Sum_Digits
You must enter at least two digits
If you enter more than two digits after the base line program this script will print the sum of the digits
For examples if you enter ./Sum_Digits 456 then this script will print the sum of the three digits as 15 (4+5+6)
./Sum_Digits: line 12: [: : integer expression expected
The sum of the number: 0

I tried with out quotes and the error message comes back as usual

Thanks

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to sum numbers in column

Hi, i want to sum all nubers in one column. Example: 12.23 11 23.01 3544.01 I'm trying to do this in awk, but it doesn't work properly. Seems like awk is summing only integers, for example: 12 11 23 3544 It cuts off numbers after dot. I used this command: akw /text/ file.txt |nawk... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: iahveh
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

sum numbers from stdout

hello im looking for short way to sum numbers from stdout the way i found to do it is to long for me i wander if there is shorter way to do it ok it 2 stage action this will make the list of number in to file sum.txt grep -c include *.c | awk '{l=split($0,a,":");print a;}' > sum.txt this... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: umen
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to find a sum of multiple numbers

I have a command which returns some numbers as follows: $ls -l ${dbname}.ix* | awk '{print $5 }' 929792 36864 57344 73728 53248 114688 How can I find the sum of those numbers by piping this output into 'awk' or some other editor/command? Thanks a lot -A (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: aoussenko
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding the sum of two numbers

cat *.out |grep "<some text>" | awk '{print $6}' For ex,This will reutrn me 11111 22222 is it possible to add these two numbers in the above given command itself?I can write this to a file and find the sum. But I prefer to this calculation in the above given line itself. Any... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: prasperl
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

getting the sum of numbers

I basically have a file where I had to do a bunch of greps to get a list of numbers example: a file called numbers.txt 10000 10000 superman 10000 batman 10000 10000 grep '100' * | 10000 10000 10000 10000 10000 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: zerofire123
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sum Numbers from different files

Hi All, I need to print the sum of numbers from different files. Input files: file1.out 10 20 30 file2.out 10 20 30 (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: saint2006
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sum of numbers in three or more files

I have files : cat file1 15 88 44 667 33 4cat file2 445 66 77 3 56 (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Natalie
12 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sum up numbers in a for loop

Hi i have to calculate some numbers, column by column. Herfore i used a for-loop.. for i in {4..26};do awk -F"," '{x'$i'+=$'$i'}END{print '$i'"\t" x'$i'}' file.tmp;done ----- printout ----- 4 660905240 5 71205272 6 8.26169e+07 7 8.85961e+07 8 8.60936e+07 9 7.42238e+07 10 5.6051e+07... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: IMPe
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sum of numbers in row

Need help in coding: File with several rows incl. numbers like 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... How can i build the sum of each row seperately? 10 26 ... Thx for help. Please use CODE tags as required by forum rules! (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: smitty11
13 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Sum even numbers from 1 to 100

I need help with this assignment. I'm very new to using UNIX/LINUX, and my only previous experience with programing anything is using python. We are writing scripts using vim, and this one I'm stumped on. "Write a shell script that finds and display the sum of even positive integers from 0 to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nastybutler
5 Replies
PMDABASH(1)						      General Commands Manual						       PMDABASH(1)

NAME
pmdabash - Bourne-Again SHell trace performance metrics domain agent SYNOPSIS
$PCP_PMDAS_DIR/bash/pmdabash [-C] [-d domain] [-l logfile] [-I interval] [-t timeout] [-U username] configfile DESCRIPTION
pmdabash is an experimental Performance Metrics Domain Agent (PMDA) which exports "xtrace" events from a traced bash(1) process. This includes the command execution information that would usually be sent to standard error with the set -x option to the shell. Event metrics are exported showing each command executed, the function name and line number in the script, and a timestamp. Additionally, the process identifier for the shell and its parent process are exported. This requires bash version 4 or later. A brief description of the pmdabash command line options follows: -d It is absolutely crucial that the performance metrics domain number specified here is unique and consistent. That is, domain should be different for every PMDA on the one host, and the same domain number should be used for the same PMDA on all hosts. -l Location of the log file. By default, a log file named bash.log is written in the current directory of pmcd(1) when pmdabash is started, i.e. $PCP_LOG_DIR/pmcd. If the log file cannot be created or is not writable, output is written to the standard error instead. -s Amount of time (in seconds) between subsequent evaluations of the shell trace file descriptor(s). The default is 2 seconds. -m Maximum amount of memory to be allowed for each event queue (one per traced process). The default is 2 megabytes. -U User account under which to run the agent. The default is the unprivileged "pcp" account in current versions of PCP, but in older versions the superuser account ("root") was used by default. INSTALLATION
In order for a host to export the names, help text and values for the bash performance metrics, do the following as root: # cd $PCP_PMDAS_DIR/bash # ./Install As soon as an instrumented shell script (see INSTRUMENTATION selection below) is run, with tracing enabled, new metric values will appear - no further setup of the agent is required. If you want to undo the installation, do the following as root: # cd $PCP_PMDAS_DIR/bash # ./Remove pmdabash is launched by pmcd(1) and should never be executed directly. The Install and Remove scripts notify pmcd(1) when the agent is installed or removed. INSTRUMENTATION
In order to allow the flow of event data between a bash(1) script and pmdabash, the script should take the following actions: #!/bin/sh source $PCP_DIR/etc/pcp.sh pcp_trace on $@ # enable tracing echo "awoke, $count" pcp_trace off # disable tracing The tracing can be enabled and disabled any number of times by the script. On successful installation of the agent, several metrics will be available: $ pminfo bash bash.xtrace.numclients bash.xtrace.maxmem bash.xtrace.queuemem bash.xtrace.count bash.xtrace.records bash.xtrace.parameters.pid bash.xtrace.parameters.parent bash.xtrace.parameters.lineno bash.xtrace.parameters.function bash.xtrace.parameters.command When an instrumented script is running, the generation of event records can be verified using the pmevent(1) command, as follows: $ pmevent -t 1 -x '' bash.xtrace.records host: localhost samples: all bash.xtrace.records["4538 ./test-trace.sh 1 2 3"]: 5 event records 10:00:05.000 --- event record [0] flags 0x19 (point,id,parent) --- bash.xtrace.parameters.pid 4538 bash.xtrace.parameters.parent 4432 bash.xtrace.parameters.lineno 43 bash.xtrace.parameters.command "true" 10:00:05.000 --- event record [1] flags 0x19 (point,id,parent) --- bash.xtrace.parameters.pid 4538 bash.xtrace.parameters.parent 4432 bash.xtrace.parameters.lineno 45 bash.xtrace.parameters.command "(( count++ ))" 10:00:05.000 --- event record [2] flags 0x19 (point,id,parent) --- bash.xtrace.parameters.pid 4538 bash.xtrace.parameters.parent 4432 bash.xtrace.parameters.lineno 46 bash.xtrace.parameters.command "echo 'awoke, 3'" 10:00:05.000 --- event record [3] flags 0x19 (point,id,parent) --- bash.xtrace.parameters.pid 4538 bash.xtrace.parameters.parent 4432 bash.xtrace.parameters.lineno 47 bash.xtrace.parameters.command "tired 2" 10:00:05.000 --- event record [4] flags 0x19 (point,id,parent) --- bash.xtrace.parameters.pid 4538 bash.xtrace.parameters.parent 4432 bash.xtrace.parameters.lineno 38 bash.xtrace.parameters.function "tired" bash.xtrace.parameters.command "sleep 2" FILES
$PCP_PMCDCONF_PATH command line options used to launch pmdabash $PCP_PMDAS_DIR/bash/help default help text file for the bash metrics $PCP_PMDAS_DIR/bash/Install installation script for the pmdabash agent $PCP_PMDAS_DIR/bash/Remove undo installation script for pmdabash $PCP_LOG_DIR/pmcd/bash.log default log file for error messages and other information from pmdabash PCP ENVIRONMENT
Environment variables with the prefix PCP_ are used to parameterize the file and directory names used by PCP. On each installation, the file /etc/pcp.conf contains the local values for these variables. The $PCP_CONF variable may be used to specify an alternative configura- tion file, as described in pcp.conf(5). SEE ALSO
bash(1), pmevent(1) and pmcd(1). Performance Co-Pilot PCP PMDABASH(1)