Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting how to grep parent process PID in shell scripting Post 302328812 by vgersh99 on Thursday 25th of June 2009 08:36:40 AM
Old 06-25-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by panyam
Extending your awk statement.

Code:

$ ps -ef | grep apache | awk '{ if($2==1) {print $2, $3 }}'

no need for grep AND awk:
Code:
ps -ef | awk '/apache/ && $3==1 { print $2, $3 }'

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

parent shell pid

hi folks can any suggest me how to get a parent processid in the script if i am executing this in the script vi myscript.sh echo "parent shell pid"$$ sh myscript.sh but when i am executing this i am getting a new pid(actually that is the child pid) whenever i am executing this... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: maheshwin
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Environment Variable Parent PID

I have always used the "$$" environment variable to find the current process number. Is there any similar way or perhaps something else to easily find the parent process number? I realize I could do something like ps and grep for the process and cut or awk out the parent process but I wanted to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: scotbuff
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need to get pid of a process and have to store the pid in a variable

Hi, I need to get the pid of a process and have to store the pid in a variable and i want to use this value(pid) of the variable for some process. Please can anyone tell me how to get the pid of a process and store it in a variable. please help me on this. Thanks in advance, Amudha (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: samudha
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find shell process pid launched throug `at`.

Hi. I was testing some staff and wrote simple script, which only writes date to log every 15 seconds. Like that #1.sh while true;do echo `date` >> 1.log sleep 15 done And than i ran this process with `at -s -f 1.sh now`. And now it is running and i don't know how to catch it. I tryed... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kukuruku
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to make the parent process to wait for the child process

Hi All, I have two ksh script. 1st script calls the 2nd script and the second script calls an 'C' program. I want 1st script to wait until the 'C' program completes. I cant able to get the process id for the 'C' program (child process) to make the 1st script to wait for the second... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sennidurai
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Kill a process from parent shell within a shell script

Hi, I am looking for a solution for the following problem: Im Using tcpdump within a shellskript started in a subshell by using brackets: ( /usr/sbin/tcpdump -i ... -c 1 ) - I want the outout of tcpdump saved in a variable - Than tcpdump-Process in the Subshell should be killed - and I... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: 2retti
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

[KSH/Bash] Starting a parent process from a child process?

Hey all, I need to launch a script from within 2 other scripts that can run independently of the two parent scripts... Im having a hard time doing this, if anyone knows how please let me know. More detail. ScriptA (bash), ScriptB (ksh), ScriptC (bash) ScriptA, launches ScriptB ScirptB,... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: trey85stang
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

forking a child process and kill its parent to show that child process has init() as its parent

Hi everyone i am very new to linux , working on bash shell. I am trying to solve the given problem 1. Create a process and then create children using fork 2. Check the Status of the application for successful running. 3. Kill all the process(threads) except parent and first child... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vizz_k
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to report file size, pid and also kill the process

Hi All, Looking for a quick LINUX shell script which can continuously monitors the flle size, report the process which is creating a file greater than certain limit and also kill that process. Can someone please help me on this? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vasavimacherla
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to get the parent PID only in Solaris?

Hi, I am using this command fuser_result=`fuser -f /web/$1/admin-*/logs/access` to get the parent pid of the process. However, The output differs and at times it shows two pids instead of one thus failing the logic of my script. See output below: bash-3.2$ fuser -f... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
3 Replies
ZGREP(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						  ZGREP(1)

NAME
zgrep, zegrep, zfgrep -- print lines matching a pattern in gzip-compressed files SYNOPSIS
zgrep [grep-flags] [--] pattern [files ...] zegrep [grep-flags] [--] pattern [file ...] zfgrep [grep-flags] [--] pattern [file ...] DESCRIPTION
zgrep runs grep(1) on files or stdin, if no files argument is given, after decompressing them with zcat(1). The grep-flags and pattern arguments are passed on to grep(1). If an -e flag is found in the grep-flags, zgrep will not look for a pattern argument. zegrep calls egrep(1), while zfgrep calls fgrep(1). EXIT STATUS
In case of missing arguments or missing pattern, 1 will be returned, otherwise 0. SEE ALSO
egrep(1), fgrep(1), grep(1), gzip(1), zcat(1) AUTHORS
Thomas Klausner <wiz@NetBSD.org> BSD
December 28, 2003 BSD