Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming How to stop other processes and kernel from printing output on current virtual term Post 302327979 by jim mcnamara on Tuesday 23rd of June 2009 05:48:02 AM
Old 06-23-2009
This is not a programming solution:

1. edit your /etc/syslog.conf file to turn off all of the syslog messages that display there. This does not stop other kernel output.

2. For that you can play with klogd errorlevel settings. Start klogd with something like
Code:
klogd -c 4

This limits console displays to severe errors only. KERN_ERR level messages I believe.
Read your man page for klogd and syslog before tinkering. DO NOT GO ANY LOWER.

Both of these suggestions have downsides - they shut off the flow of information which a lot of sysadmins find useful. They also require a custom setup script if this is a product that goes to customers who are not Linux savvy.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Stop Printing Please

what is the fastest approach to kill a print job ? if the lpstat command does not show the print job id .... aix (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cubicle^dweller
4 Replies

2. Programming

Create a Term & Run chars on this Term

hi floks ! i'd like to know how can i transmete a character or a string from my source code to a term and make it interpret or un by the shell wich is running in my term. I'd like to create a Term from my code (and get its file descriptor) and then transmete each char typed on the keyboard to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: the_tical
1 Replies

3. Programming

current processes

Hi all, I'm running AIX 4.3.3. Is there a way in C++ to get a list of all current processes running on the processor? I have a manager daemon tracking all the software applications. They're using a system of healthchecks to update status. One intermittently is missing its healthcheck,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jalburger
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Checking before start and stop processes

Hi, I have 2 start and stop sh. Start sh -------- This will start few processes. Example code: echo "start process : lgz200 /pipe=test_jobs" nohup lgz200 /db=test/test1@test1 /pipe=test_jobs > ../log/lgz200_j.log & echo "echo \"stop process (pid=$!): lgz200 /pipe=test_jobs\"" >>... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: maldini
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search term and output term in desired field

Hi All, I have an input_file below and i would like to use Perl to search for the term "aaa" and output the 3rd term in the same row as "aaa".For Example, i want to search for the term "ddd" and would want the code to ouput the 3rd term in the same row which is "fff". Can somebody help ? ... (28 Replies)
Discussion started by: Raynon
28 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to stop to current directory using find

Hello, I just want to ask the following use of find command: 1. how can I find files only to the current directory? 2. how can I find files to directories and all subdiretories (are this include soft links?) but will not go to other mountpoints that is under that mountpoint. Im combining... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: james_falco
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to log start/stop time of ALL processes

Hi all, I joined this forum today and this is my first question. I thank you all for viewing it. I will try to be brief. The OS: HP-UX B.11.11 U 9000/800 There are lot of cron scheduled perl scripts running on this server, which do different things at different time. Some of them process... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: bluesky099
10 Replies

8. Solaris

How to start/stop processes

Please anyone tell me In my last interview the HR asks me how to monitor, start,stop & kill the various processes and subprocesses. Please anyone explain me clearly. It's my personal request (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: suneelieg
3 Replies

9. SuSE

List of processes/ which ones to stop

Hi there, I've install a testserver with SLES 11.0! I'll install/test XEN + WebServer not all things at the moment! In a first time, I'd like to stop all unuse processes... but I don't understand all processes! As someone a list of all processes with his signification and which should/could... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hiddenshadow
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to stop Sqlplus command from printing db connection details

Hi, Could someone tell me how to stop SQLPLUS command from printing the connection details in the console. Below is the lines i get in console when executing the sqlplus... SQL*Plus: Release 10.2.0.1.0 - Production on Wed Mar 9 03:31:03 2011 Copyright (c) 1982, 2005, Oracle. All rights... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: funonnet
2 Replies
SYSLOG(8)							  System Logging							 SYSLOG(8)

NAME
syslog-ng, syslogd DESCRIPTION
There are different syslog daemon implementations supported as the system's syslog service, currently syslogd, syslog-ng and rsyslogd The first installed daemon activates itself for the syslog service. Starting with openSUSE-11.2, it is rsyslogd, before it was syslog-ng. But this depends on the software selection during the installation. The name of the daemon used as syslog service is specified in the SYSLOG_DAEMON variable in /etc/sysconfig/syslog. The yast2 sysconfig module provides a comfortable way to switch to another installed daemon and restart the service. The /etc/init.d/syslog init script is able to handle all supported daemons. BUGS
Please report bugs at <http://www.suse.de/feedback> AUTHOR
Juergen Weigert <jw@novell.com> Marius Tomaschewski <mt@novell.com> SEE ALSO
sysklogd(8) syslogd(8) syslog.conf(5) syslog-ng(8) syslog-ng.conf(5) rsyslogd(8) rsyslog.conf(5) syslog May 2008 SYSLOG(8)