Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX .netrc and Automatic ftp problem Post 302327939 by ITHelper on Tuesday 23rd of June 2009 02:06:41 AM
Old 06-23-2009
This is an example message and it's similar what I got !

Why is asking me password ?!

seam that meaning is not reading .netrc file !!

Last edited by ITHelper; 06-23-2009 at 06:04 AM..
ITHelper

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Automatic FTP

Hi, We have a requirement to transfer(FTP) files created in a particular directory (In Solaris) to NT machine. Also this process neeeds to be automated. I belive a command MAIL in UNIX could be used to find new files created in a directory, but this just sends the file list to the logged user.... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: shyamrk
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

.netrc multiple ftp jobs to same machine

I have an ftp user, which has been setup to run ftp jobs to a specific machine (different jobs). for the first job i created .netrc in the ftp users home directory and added the appropriate commands machine FTPBOX01 login user1 password xxx macdef init etc etc get file bye I use the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hcclnoodles
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

.netrc and ftp issue

Ok guys (gals?) Im new here as a member, but have come here many times to find answers to questions. Have played with Unix (ATT Sys 5) and now Linux (RH)... I told myself I wanst going to ask for help on the current project..but.. I am down to what I think is the last issue: (and I KNOW the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: txdave
3 Replies

4. AIX

.netrc and ftp

Hello all, I am using a .netrc to automatically access an ftp host. Here is the line I use... machine 412.blank.com login nw\mylogin password ******* when I use this command... ftp 412.blank.com I get... Connected to 412.blank.com. 220 server_7 FTP server (EMC-SNAS: 5.5.25.2)... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: magikalpnoi
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

FTP/nmap/.netrc

So... I'm trying to script and FTP Backup of some files from openVMS Alpha machine to a Unixware 7 machine. I decided to use .netrc to do all the FTP actions however when I send the nmap command. It pretty much gets ignored while even other things such "ascii", "case" etc.. get respected... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: thesubmitter
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Automated FTP script using .netrc to multiple FTP servers

Hi all, I'm using the following script to automated ftp files to 1 ftp servers host=192.168.0.1 /usr/bin/ftp -vi >> $bkplog 2>&1 <<ftp open $host bin cd ${directory} put $files quit ftp and the .netrc file contain machine 192.168.0.1 login abc... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: varu0612
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Automating ftp without .netrc

I'm writing a script which needs to run under an 'automation' account and there is already a .netrc machine definition for the server I need to connect to. If I create a new machine entry in the .netrc with a different account this will, of course, be ignored and the ftp session will connect to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: DeepakS
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Performing Batch ftp without .netrc

How can I supply the userID/password when executing FTP in the batch mode? Using .netrc is not an option (prohibited per Corporate Policy). Thank you in advance. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: compaamat
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Doubt in .netrc file for ftp login

Hi, i have a doubt. i am using .netrc file for login to a ftp server. ftp abc.ftp.com suppose i have 2 userid and password for the same server as shown below. which one is it going to read from the .netrc file? cat .netrc machine abc.ftp.com login admin1 password pass1 machine... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: Little
13 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Specifying port for ftp when using .netrc

Hi, does anybody know if it is possible to specify a particular port for an FTP address within a .netrc file ? i have a script which opens the ftp to a machine and then instigates .netrc to login etc.. within .netrc i need it to go to a particular port to enable me to automate the dropping of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: forefather1977
2 Replies
netrc(4)							   File Formats 							  netrc(4)

NAME
netrc - file for ftp remote login data DESCRIPTION
The .netrc file contains data for logging in to a remote host over the network for file transfers by ftp(1). This file resides in the user's home directory on the machine initiating the file transfer. Its permissions should be set to disallow read access by group and oth- ers (see chmod(1)). The following tokens are recognized; they may be separated by SPACE, TAB, or NEWLINE characters: machine name Identify a remote machine name. The auto-login process searches the .netrc file for a machine token that matches the remote machine specified on the ftp command line or as an open command argument. Once a match is made, the subsequent .netrc tokens are processed, stopping when the EOF is reached or another machine token is encountered. default Same as machine name, except that default matches any name. There can be only one default token, and it must be after all machine tokens. The default token is normally used as follows: default login anonymous password user@site Such an entry gives the user automatic anonymous ftp login to machines not specified in .netrc. login name Identify a user on the remote machine. If this token is present, the auto-login process will initiate a login using the specified name. password string Supply a password. If this token is present, the auto-login process will supply the specified string if the remote server requires a password as part of the login process. Note: if this token is present in the .netrc file, ftp will abort the auto-login process if the .netrc is readable by anyone besides the user. account string Supply an additional account password. If this token is present, the auto-login process supplies the specified string if the remote server requires an additional account password. If the remote server does not require an additional account password, the auto-login process will initiate an ACCT command. macdef name Define a macro. This token functions the same as ftp macdef. A macro is defined with the specified name; its contents begin with the next .netrc line and continue until a null line (consecutive NEWLINE characters) is encountered. If a macro named init is defined, it is automatically executed as the last step in the auto-login process. EXAMPLES
Example 1: A Sample .netrc File A .netrc file containing the following line: machine ray login demo password mypassword allows an autologin to the machine ray using the login name demo with password mypassword. FILES
~/.netrc SEE ALSO
chmod(1), ftp(1), in.ftpd(1M) SunOS 5.10 3 Jul 1990 netrc(4)