Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Compare two files and print the two lines with difference Post 302327255 by tkleczek on Saturday 20th of June 2009 11:14:51 AM
Old 06-20-2009
This should do it.
Code:
BEGIN { i=0; j=0 }
FNR == NR { a[i++]=$0; next }
{ 
    if (a[j] != $0) b[j]=1; else b[j]=0; 
    j++; 
}
END {
    print "from file 1"
    for (k=0; k < i; ++k) if (b[k]) print a[k]
    print "\nfrom file 2"
    for (k=0; k < j; ++k) if (b[k]) print a[k]
}

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

to compare two files and to print the difference

suppose one file P1168S P2150L P85L Q597R R1097C Another file P2150L P85L Q597R R1097C R1379C R1587K Then output shud be R1379C R1587K thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cdfd123
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to compare lines of two files and print output on screen

hey guys, I have two files both with two columns, I have already created an awk code to ignore certain lines (e.g lines that start with 963) as they wou ld begin with a certain string, however, the rest I have added together and calculated the average. At the moment the code also displays... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: chlfc
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare selected columns from a file and print difference

I have learned file comparison from my previous post here. Then, it is comparing the whole line. Now, i have a new problem. I have two files with 3 columns separated with a "|". What i want to do is to compare the second and third column of file 1, and the second and third column of file 2. And... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kingpeejay
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare two columns in two files and print the difference

one file . . importing table employee 119 . . importing table jobs 1 2nd file . . importing table employee 120 . . importing table jobs 1 and would like... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jhonnyrip
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Compare 2 files print the lines of file 2 that contain a string from file 1

Hello I am a new unix user, and I have a work related task to compare 2 files and print all of the lines in file 2 that contain a string from file 1 Note: the fields are in different columns in the files. I suspect the is a good use for awk? Thanks for your time & help File 1 123 232 W343... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: KevinRidley
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare multiple files and print unique lines

Hi friends, I have multiple files. For now, let's say I have two of the following style cat 1.txt cat 2.txt output.txt Please note that my files are not sorted and in the output file I need another extra column that says the file from which it is coming. I have more than 100... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: jacobs.smith
19 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare file1 for matching line in file2 and print the difference in matching lines

Hello, I have two files file 1 and file 2 each having result of a query on certain database tables and need to compare for Col1 in file1 with Col3 in file2, compare Col2 with Col4 and output the value of Col1 from File1 which is a) not present in Col3 of File2 b) value of Col2 is different from... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: RasB15
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple awk command to compare two files and print first difference

Hello, I have two text files, each with a single column, file 1: 124152970 123899868 123476854 54258288 123117283 file 2: 124152970 123899868 54258288 123117283 122108330 (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: LMHmedchem
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare two variables and print the difference

Hi PRIM_SEQ=`some sql code` and output of PRIM_SEQ is like below 120 130 STB_SEQ=`some sql code` and output of STB_SEQ is like below 115 110 i need to compare this two variables output ( decimal numbers) 1) What I want to do is to compare every number in the PRIM_SEQ with... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: amar1208
8 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Compare two variables and print the difference

compare two variables and print the difference i have two variables X1=rac1,rac2 Y1=rac2,rac3 output=rac1,rac3 Use code tags to wrap code fragments or data samples. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jhonnyrip
1 Replies
DIFF(1) 							   User Commands							   DIFF(1)

NAME
diff - compare files line by line SYNOPSIS
diff [OPTION]... FILES DESCRIPTION
Compare files line by line. -i --ignore-case Ignore case differences in file contents. --ignore-file-name-case Ignore case when comparing file names. --no-ignore-file-name-case Consider case when comparing file names. -E --ignore-tab-expansion Ignore changes due to tab expansion. -b --ignore-space-change Ignore changes in the amount of white space. -w --ignore-all-space Ignore all white space. -B --ignore-blank-lines Ignore changes whose lines are all blank. -I RE --ignore-matching-lines=RE Ignore changes whose lines all match RE. --strip-trailing-cr Strip trailing carriage return on input. -a --text Treat all files as text. -c -C NUM --context[=NUM] Output NUM (default 3) lines of copied context. -u -U NUM --unified[=NUM] Output NUM (default 3) lines of unified context. --label LABEL Use LABEL instead of file name. -p --show-c-function Show which C function each change is in. -F RE --show-function-line=RE Show the most recent line matching RE. -q --brief Output only whether files differ. -e --ed Output an ed script. --normal Output a normal diff. -n --rcs Output an RCS format diff. -y --side-by-side Output in two columns. -W NUM --width=NUM Output at most NUM (default 130) print columns. --left-column Output only the left column of common lines. --suppress-common-lines Do not output common lines. -D NAME --ifdef=NAME Output merged file to show `#ifdef NAME' diffs. --GTYPE-group-format=GFMT Similar, but format GTYPE input groups with GFMT. --line-format=LFMT Similar, but format all input lines with LFMT. --LTYPE-line-format=LFMT Similar, but format LTYPE input lines with LFMT. LTYPE is `old', `new', or `unchanged'. GTYPE is LTYPE or `changed'. GFMT may contain: %< lines from FILE1 %> lines from FILE2 %= lines common to FILE1 and FILE2 %[-][WIDTH][.[PREC]]{doxX}LETTER printf-style spec for LETTER LETTERs are as follows for new group, lower case for old group: F first line number L last line number N number of lines = L-F+1 E F-1 M L+1 LFMT may contain: %L contents of line %l contents of line, excluding any trailing newline %[-][WIDTH][.[PREC]]{doxX}n printf-style spec for input line number Either GFMT or LFMT may contain: %% % %c'C' the single character C %c'OOO' the character with octal code OOO -l --paginate Pass the output through `pr' to paginate it. -t --expand-tabs Expand tabs to spaces in output. -T --initial-tab Make tabs line up by prepending a tab. --tabsize=NUM Tab stops are every NUM (default 8) print columns. --suppress-blank-empty Suppress space or tab before empty output lines. -r --recursive Recursively compare any subdirectories found. -N --new-file Treat absent files as empty. --unidirectional-new-file Treat absent first files as empty. -s --report-identical-files Report when two files are the same. -x PAT --exclude=PAT Exclude files that match PAT. -X FILE --exclude-from=FILE Exclude files that match any pattern in FILE. -S FILE --starting-file=FILE Start with FILE when comparing directories. --from-file=FILE1 Compare FILE1 to all operands. FILE1 can be a directory. --to-file=FILE2 Compare all operands to FILE2. FILE2 can be a directory. --horizon-lines=NUM Keep NUM lines of the common prefix and suffix. -d --minimal Try hard to find a smaller set of changes. --speed-large-files Assume large files and many scattered small changes. -v --version Output version info. --help Output this help. FILES are `FILE1 FILE2' or `DIR1 DIR2' or `DIR FILE...' or `FILE... DIR'. If --from-file or --to-file is given, there are no restrictions on FILES. If a FILE is `-', read standard input. Exit status is 0 if inputs are the same, 1 if different, 2 if trouble. AUTHOR
Written by Paul Eggert, Mike Haertel, David Hayes, Richard Stallman, and Len Tower. REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs to <bug-gnu-utils@gnu.org>. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2007 Free Software Foundation, Inc. License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html> This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it. There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. SEE ALSO
The full documentation for diff is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and diff programs are properly installed at your site, the command info diff should give you access to the complete manual. diffutils 2.8.7-cvs January 2008 DIFF(1)