Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Sed or awk script to remove text / or perform calculations from large CSV files Post 302326305 by metronomadic on Wednesday 17th of June 2009 03:21:19 PM
Old 06-17-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmad.diab
To remove the second 12:21:10 use the below sed:

Code:
sed 's/.*:\([^,*]*\) AM/\1/g' file.txt

to get the to total use:-

Code:
awk ' BEGIN{c=0} {a[$1]+=$2;b[$1]+=$3;c++} END{for (i in a) {print "Total", a[i]/c,b[i]/c} ' file.txt

BR

Thanks Ahmad. I tried the awk code (which I think needs an extra } to close out the for loop?), but I think that might be calculating something else. I am trying to get the average flow (column three) for each minute (or each 15 minute span) of each day. I am not sure I understand the code, but from the output it looks like it is gathering each days worth of records, and dividing them by the number of days?

I don't mean to be a bother, but can you tell me if this is what is going on?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to perform calculations using numbers greater than 2150000000.

Could someone tell me how to perform calculations using numbers greater than 2150000000 in Korn Shell? When I tried to do it it gave me the wrong answer. e.g. I have a ksh file with the contents below: --------------------------------- #!/bin/ksh SUM=`expr 2150000000 + 2` PRODUCT=`expr... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: stevefox
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

calculations in awk/sed

Hi friends, I am in a little confusion. I have a comma separated file contains hugh records. say, 88562848,21-JAN-08,2741079, -1188,-7433,TESTING 88558314,21-JAN-08,2741189, -1273,-7976,TESTING I want 4th and 5th field to be multiplied by 100. like, 88562848,21-JAN-08,2741079,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: clx
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove text from a csv file using sed

I am trying to remove the ita from this file: "1234ita","john","smith" "56789ita","jim","thomas" the command i am using is: sed '/^ita/d' infile.csv > outfile.csv it is running but doing nothing, very rarely use sed so trying to learn it any help would be appreciated (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pablo_beezo
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Updating a line in a large csv file, with sed/awk?

I have an extremely large csv file that I need to search the second field, and upon matches update the last field... I can pull the line with awk.. but apparently you cant use awk to directly update the file? So im curious if I can use sed to do this... The good news is the field I want to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: trey85stang
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help with a script to process a CSV file using SED and AWK

I get a CSV file every day with 2 columns and multiple rows ex: date1,date2 ( both the fields are varchar fields) This data has to be updated in a table which is being done manually and i want to automate that. 1. I have to select all the data from the prod table( 2 columns { date1,date2}) into... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kkb
4 Replies

6. Programming

awk script to convert a text file into csv format

hi...... thanks for allowing me to start a discussion i am collecting usb usage details of all users and convert it into csv files so that i can export it into some database.. the input text file is as follows:- USB History Dump by nabiy (c)2008 (1) --- Kingston DataTraveler 130 USB... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: certteam
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script to take input from a text file and perform check on each servers and copy files

HI all, I want to script where all the server names will be in a text file like server1 server2 server3 . and the script should take servernames from a text file and perform copy of files if the files are not present on those servers.after which it should take next servername till the end of... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: joseph.dmello
0 Replies

8. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

Help to make awk script more efficient for large files

Hello, Error awk: Internal software error in the tostring function on TS1101?05044400?.0085498227?0?.0011041461?.0034752266?.00397045?0?0?0?0?0?0?11/02/10?09/23/10???10?no??0??no?sct_det3_10_20110516_143936.txt What it is It is a unix shell script that contains an awk program as well as... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: script_op2a
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk script to perform an action similar to vlookup between two csv files in UNIX

Hi, I am new to awk/unix and am trying to put together an awk script to perform an action similar to vlookup between the two csv files. Here are the contents of the two files: File 1: Date,ParentID,Number,Area,Volume,Dimensions 2014-01-01,ABC,247,83430.33,857.84,8110.76... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Prit Siv
9 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Filter on one column and then perform conditional calculations on another column with a Linux script

Hi, I have a file (stats.txt) with columns like in the example below. Destination IP address, timestamp, TCP packet sequence number and packet length. destIP time seqNo packetLength 1.2.3.4 0.01 123 500 1.2.3.5 0.03 44 1500 1.3.2.5 0.08 44 1500 1.2.3.4 0.44... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Zooma
12 Replies
A2P(1)							 Perl Programmers Reference Guide						    A2P(1)

NAME
a2p - Awk to Perl translator SYNOPSIS
a2p [options] [filename] DESCRIPTION
A2p takes an awk script specified on the command line (or from standard input) and produces a comparable perl script on the standard output. OPTIONS Options include: -D<number> sets debugging flags. -F<character> tells a2p that this awk script is always invoked with this -F switch. -n<fieldlist> specifies the names of the input fields if input does not have to be split into an array. If you were translating an awk script that processes the password file, you might say: a2p -7 -nlogin.password.uid.gid.gcos.shell.home Any delimiter can be used to separate the field names. -<number> causes a2p to assume that input will always have that many fields. -o tells a2p to use old awk behavior. The only current differences are: o Old awk always has a line loop, even if there are no line actions, whereas new awk does not. o In old awk, sprintf is extremely greedy about its arguments. For example, given the statement print sprintf(some_args), extra_args; old awk considers extra_args to be arguments to "sprintf"; new awk considers them arguments to "print". "Considerations" A2p cannot do as good a job translating as a human would, but it usually does pretty well. There are some areas where you may want to examine the perl script produced and tweak it some. Here are some of them, in no particular order. There is an awk idiom of putting int() around a string expression to force numeric interpretation, even though the argument is always integer anyway. This is generally unneeded in perl, but a2p can't tell if the argument is always going to be integer, so it leaves it in. You may wish to remove it. Perl differentiates numeric comparison from string comparison. Awk has one operator for both that decides at run time which comparison to do. A2p does not try to do a complete job of awk emulation at this point. Instead it guesses which one you want. It's almost always right, but it can be spoofed. All such guesses are marked with the comment ""#???"". You should go through and check them. You might want to run at least once with the -w switch to perl, which will warn you if you use == where you should have used eq. Perl does not attempt to emulate the behavior of awk in which nonexistent array elements spring into existence simply by being referenced. If somehow you are relying on this mechanism to create null entries for a subsequent for...in, they won't be there in perl. If a2p makes a split line that assigns to a list of variables that looks like (Fld1, Fld2, Fld3...) you may want to rerun a2p using the -n option mentioned above. This will let you name the fields throughout the script. If it splits to an array instead, the script is probably referring to the number of fields somewhere. The exit statement in awk doesn't necessarily exit; it goes to the END block if there is one. Awk scripts that do contortions within the END block to bypass the block under such circumstances can be simplified by removing the conditional in the END block and just exiting directly from the perl script. Perl has two kinds of array, numerically-indexed and associative. Perl associative arrays are called "hashes". Awk arrays are usually translated to hashes, but if you happen to know that the index is always going to be numeric you could change the {...} to [...]. Iteration over a hash is done using the keys() function, but iteration over an array is NOT. You might need to modify any loop that iterates over such an array. Awk starts by assuming OFMT has the value %.6g. Perl starts by assuming its equivalent, $#, to have the value %.20g. You'll want to set $# explicitly if you use the default value of OFMT. Near the top of the line loop will be the split operation that is implicit in the awk script. There are times when you can move this down past some conditionals that test the entire record so that the split is not done as often. For aesthetic reasons you may wish to change index variables from being 1-based (awk style) to 0-based (Perl style). Be sure to change all operations the variable is involved in to match. Cute comments that say "# Here is a workaround because awk is dumb" are passed through unmodified. Awk scripts are often embedded in a shell script that pipes stuff into and out of awk. Often the shell script wrapper can be incorporated into the perl script, since perl can start up pipes into and out of itself, and can do other things that awk can't do by itself. Scripts that refer to the special variables RSTART and RLENGTH can often be simplified by referring to the variables $`, $& and $', as long as they are within the scope of the pattern match that sets them. The produced perl script may have subroutines defined to deal with awk's semantics regarding getline and print. Since a2p usually picks correctness over efficiency. it is almost always possible to rewrite such code to be more efficient by discarding the semantic sugar. For efficiency, you may wish to remove the keyword from any return statement that is the last statement executed in a subroutine. A2p catches the most common case, but doesn't analyze embedded blocks for subtler cases. ARGV[0] translates to $ARGV0, but ARGV[n] translates to $ARGV[$n-1]. A loop that tries to iterate over ARGV[0] won't find it. ENVIRONMENT
A2p uses no environment variables. AUTHOR
Larry Wall <larry@wall.org> FILES
SEE ALSO
perl The perl compiler/interpreter s2p sed to perl translator DIAGNOSTICS
BUGS
It would be possible to emulate awk's behavior in selecting string versus numeric operations at run time by inspection of the operands, but it would be gross and inefficient. Besides, a2p almost always guesses right. Storage for the awk syntax tree is currently static, and can run out. perl v5.16.2 2012-08-26 A2P(1)