Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux 500 OOPS: vsftpd: cannot locate user specified in 'ftp_username':ftp Post 302325859 by thomn8r on Tuesday 16th of June 2009 10:17:57 AM
Old 06-16-2009
500 OOPS: vsftpd: cannot locate user specified in 'ftp_username':ftp

I've been fighting this for about a year: vsftp does not work on any of my RedHat Server 5.x systems - I keep getting a variation on 500 OOPS: vsftpd: cannot locate user specified in 'ftp_username':ftp or 500 OOPS: cannot locate user entry:nobody (different errors on different systems). I spent some time on google trying to find a solution, to no avail. I even tried to build from source but ran into other issues. The only way I've been able to get around this is to re-install with an older version of RedHat.

No matter what I change the ftp_username value to, I get the same result.

The ftp & nobody users exists in /etc/passwd
Code:
ftp:x:14:50:FTP User:/var/ftp:/sbin/nologin
nobody:x:99:99:Nobody:/:/sbin/nologin

Here's my vsftpd.conf file (comments removed for brevity)
Code:
anonymous_enable=YES
local_enable=YES
write_enable=YES
local_umask=022
dirmessage_enable=YES
xferlog_enable=YES
connect_from_port_20=YES
xferlog_std_format=YES
nopriv_user=ftp
listen=YES
pam_service_name=vsftpd
userlist_enable=NO
tcp_wrappers=YES
check_shell=NO
ftp_username=ftp

/etc/nsswitch.conf
Code:
passwd:       files [NOTFOUND=continue] nis
group:        files [NOTFOUND=continue] nis
hosts:        dns [NOTFOUND=continue UNAVAIL=continue TRYAGAIN=continue] nis [NOTFOUND=continue UNAVAIL=continue TRYAGAIN=continue] files
networks:     nis [NOTFOUND=return] files
protocols:    nis [NOTFOUND=return] files
rpc:          nis [NOTFOUND=return] files
publickey:    nis [NOTFOUND=return] files
netgroup:     nis [NOTFOUND=return] files
automount:    nis files
aliases:      nis files
services:     nis files

Code:
# ps -ef|grep vsftp
root     28607     1  0 Jul01 ?        00:00:00 /usr/sbin/vsftpd /etc/vsftpd/vsftpd.conf

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Locate a user by their IP address

We have a user that is sending rather large print jobs to a windows printer, we need to track them down and advise a sensible approach to printing. The only thing that shows up in the windows print manager is the IP address of the source. Is this achievable? :confused: (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jagannatha
7 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Telnet Server FTP warning messages 500 'AUTH GSSAPI' how to resolve??

These are the warning messages I am getting but the FTP works fine.How do I get rid of these? 220 FTP server (SunOS 5.8) ready. 500 'AUTH GSSAPI': command not understood. 500 'AUTH KERBEROS_V4': command not understood. KERBEROS_V4 rejected as an authentication type (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: csviking
0 Replies

3. Ubuntu

500 OOPS: vsftpd: cannot locate user specified in 'ftp_username':ftp

I've been tearing my hair out over this: vsftp does not work on any of my RedHat Server 5.x systems - I keep getting a variation on 500 OOPS: vsftpd: cannot locate user specified in 'ftp_username':ftp or 500 OOPS: cannot locate user entry:nobody (different errors on different systems). I spent... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: thomn8r
2 Replies

4. Red Hat

FTP problem in vsftpd & NcFTPd both

Hello Gurus, after installtion and configuration of vsftpd and NcFTPd, i could able to ftp from another Linux server but not from other windows cmd prompt. :mad: It show user/PASS need to be provided :( its not even prompting for username and password. :( Y it differs from windows and... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: bullz26
0 Replies

5. Solaris

FTP problem in vsftpd & NcFTPd both

Hello Gurus, after installtion and configuration of vsftpd and NcFTPd, i could able to ftp from another Linux server but not from other windows cmd prompt. It show user/PASS need to be provided its not even prompting for username and password. Y it differs from windows and linux...? ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bullz26
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

VSFTPD - User or IP based SSL encryption?

Is there a way i can only force SSL encryption if they connect from outside our network OR allow certain IP's to connect without using encryption? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mokachoka
0 Replies

7. Ubuntu

vsftpd ftp server

Hi I am using the vsftpd ftp server. I am using it for the wordpress that I run. The folder /var/www/wordpress/wp-content has only root write permission. No one else has right permission to it. I want to give the vsftpd ftp also write permission for it. But no other user should have that... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: programAngel
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Read Only user in Vsftpd

HI I have set up vsftp on my Red hat server. Chroot has been set up to control access to each user and folder directories. This all works fine. But i have one directory where i want to chroot but ensure that the ftp access is read only. Any help appreciated thanks Treds (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: treds
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Does vsftpd support user access with client certificate with priv/pub key + vsftpd certificate?

:rolleyes:I am trying to setup all certificate based client-server environment in Linux using vsftpd and curl with openssl. I would like to make a user access with vsftpd certificate and user own client certificate (self-signed) with private/public key. I don't see google posts about the my plan... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gogogo
4 Replies

10. Red Hat

Does vsftpd support user subcommand?

I'm wondering if vsftpd supports user subcommand? I found I can't switch user after ftp login. Maybe someone can give me a certain answer. I always got the message as below, I enabled log_ftp_protocol=YES and checked the vsftpd.log, it didn't help much actually. The log file only... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: bestard
6 Replies
NSSWITCH.CONF(5)                                             Linux Programmer's Manual                                            NSSWITCH.CONF(5)

NAME
nsswitch.conf - Name Service Switch configuration file DESCRIPTION
The Name Service Switch (NSS) configuration file, /etc/nsswitch.conf, is used by the GNU C Library and certain other applications to deter- mine the sources from which to obtain name-service information in a range of categories, and in what order. Each category of information is identified by a database name. The file is plain ASCII text, with columns separated by spaces or tab characters. The first column specifies the database name. The remaining columns describe the order of sources to query and a limited set of actions that can be performed by lookup result. The following databases are understood by the GNU C Library: aliases Mail aliases, used by getaliasent(3) and related functions. ethers Ethernet numbers. group Groups of users, used by getgrent(3) and related functions. hosts Host names and numbers, used by gethostbyname(3) and related functions. initgroups Supplementary group access list, used by getgrouplist(3) function. netgroup Network-wide list of hosts and users, used for access rules. C libraries before glibc 2.1 supported netgroups only over NIS. networks Network names and numbers, used by getnetent(3) and related functions. passwd User passwords, used by getpwent(3) and related functions. protocols Network protocols, used by getprotoent(3) and related functions. publickey Public and secret keys for Secure_RPC used by NFS and NIS+. rpc Remote procedure call names and numbers, used by getrpcbyname(3) and related functions. services Network services, used by getservent(3) and related functions. shadow Shadow user passwords, used by getspnam(3) and related functions. The GNU C Library ignores databases with unknown names. Some applications use this to implement special handling for their own databases. For example, sudo(8) consults the sudoers database. Here is an example /etc/nsswitch.conf file: passwd: compat group: compat shadow: compat hosts: dns [!UNAVAIL=return] files networks: nis [NOTFOUND=return] files ethers: nis [NOTFOUND=return] files protocols: nis [NOTFOUND=return] files rpc: nis [NOTFOUND=return] files services: nis [NOTFOUND=return] files The first column is the database name. The remaining columns specify: * One or more service specifications, for example, "files", "db", or "nis". The order of the services on the line determines the order in which those services will be queried, in turn, until a result is found. * Optional actions to perform if a particular result is obtained from the preceding service, for example, "[NOTFOUND=return]". The service specifications supported on your system depend on the presence of shared libraries, and are therefore extensible. Libraries called /lib/libnss_SERVICE.so.X will provide the named SERVICE. On a standard installation, you can use "files", "db", "nis", and "nis- plus". For the hosts database, you can additionally specify "dns". For the passwd, group, and shadow databases, you can additionally specify "compat" (see Compatibility mode below). The version number X may be 1 for glibc 2.0, or 2 for glibc 2.1 and later. On systems with additional libraries installed, you may have access to further services such as "hesiod", "ldap", "winbind" and "wins". An action may also be specified following a service specification. The action modifies the behavior following a result obtained from the preceding data source. Action items take the general form: [STATUS=ACTION] [!STATUS=ACTION] where STATUS => success | notfound | unavail | tryagain ACTION => return | continue | merge The ! negates the test, matching all possible results except the one specified. The case of the keywords is not significant. The STATUS value is matched against the result of the lookup function called by the preceding service specification, and can be one of: success No error occurred and the requested entry is returned. The default action for this condition is "return". notfound The lookup succeeded, but the requested entry was not found. The default action for this condition is "continue". unavail The service is permanently unavailable. This can mean either that the required file cannot be read, or, for network ser- vices, that the server is not available or does not allow queries. The default action for this condition is "continue". tryagain The service is temporarily unavailable. This could mean a file is locked or a server currently cannot accept more connec- tions. The default action for this condition is "continue". The ACTION value can be one of: return Return a result now. Do not call any further lookup functions. However, for compatibility reasons, if this is the selected action for the group database and the notfound status, and the configuration file does not contain the initgroups line, the next lookup function is always called, without affecting the search result. continue Call the next lookup function. merge [SUCCESS=merge] is used between two database entries. When a group is located in the first of the two group entries, pro- cessing will continue on to the next one. If the group is also found in the next entry (and the group name and GID are an exact match), the member list of the second entry will be added to the group object to be returned. Available since glibc 2.24. Note that merging will not be done for getgrent(3) nor will duplicate members be pruned when they occur in both entries being merged. Compatibility mode (compat) The NSS "compat" service is similar to "files" except that it additionally permits special entries in corresponding files for granting users or members of netgroups access to the system. The following entries are valid in this mode: For passwd and shadow databases: +user Include the specified user from the NIS passwd/shadow map. +user:::::: Include the specified user from the NIS passwd map, but override with non-empty passwd fields. +@netgroup Include all users in the given netgroup. -user Exclude the specified user from the NIS passwd/shadow map. -@netgroup Exclude all users in the given netgroup. + Include every user, except previously excluded ones, from the NIS passwd/shadow map. For group database: +group Include the specified group from the NIS group map. -group Exclude the specified group from the NIS group map. + Include every group, except previously excluded ones, from the NIS group map. By default, the source is "nis", but this may be overridden by specifying any NSS service except "compat" itself as the source for the pseudo-databases passwd_compat, group_compat, and shadow_compat. FILES
A service named SERVICE is implemented by a shared object library named libnss_SERVICE.so.X that resides in /lib. /etc/nsswitch.conf NSS configuration file. /lib/libnss_compat.so.X implements "compat" source. /lib/libnss_db.so.X implements "db" source. /lib/libnss_dns.so.X implements "dns" source. /lib/libnss_files.so.X implements "files" source. /lib/libnss_hesiod.so.X implements "hesiod" source. /lib/libnss_nis.so.X implements "nis" source. /lib/libnss_nisplus.so.X implements "nisplus" source. The following files are read when "files" source is specified for respective databases: aliases /etc/aliases ethers /etc/ethers group /etc/group hosts /etc/hosts initgroups /etc/group netgroup /etc/netgroup networks /etc/networks passwd /etc/passwd protocols /etc/protocols publickey /etc/publickey rpc /etc/rpc services /etc/services shadow /etc/shadow NOTES
Within each process that uses nsswitch.conf, the entire file is read only once. If the file is later changed, the process will continue using the old configuration. Traditionally, there was only a single source for service information, often in the form of a single configuration file (e.g., /etc/passwd). However, as other name services, such as the Network Information Service (NIS) and the Domain Name Service (DNS), became popular, a method was needed that would be more flexible than fixed search orders coded into the C library. The Name Service Switch mecha- nism, which was based on the mechanism used by Sun Microsystems in the Solaris 2 C library, introduced a cleaner solution to the problem. SEE ALSO
getent(1), nss(5) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 4.15 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, information about reporting bugs, and the latest version of this page, can be found at https://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. Linux 2017-05-03 NSSWITCH.CONF(5)