Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Sort alpha on 1st field, numerical on 2nd field (sci notation) Post 302324976 by FrancoisCN on Friday 12th of June 2009 10:37:55 AM
Old 06-12-2009
Sort alpha on 1st field, numerical on 2nd field (sci notation)

I want to sort alphabetically on the first field and sort in descending numerical order on the 2nd field. With a normal "sort -r -n" it does this:

abc ||| 5e-05 ||| bla
abc ||| 3 ||| ble
def ||| 1 ||| abc
def ||| 0.2 ||| def

As you can see it ignores the fact that 5e-05 is actually 0.00005 therefore smaller than 3. The output I want would be

abc ||| 3 ||| ble
abc ||| 5e-05 ||| bla
def ||| 1 ||| abc
def ||| 0.2 ||| def

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

sort columns by field

hello, i have a table contain many columns delimited by blank. i want to sort this table by the 2 columns and 3 one and i want to keep the first line inchanged? how can i do using the sort command? thanks table like : field1 field2 field3 field4 x y z b t h r n .. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kamel.seg
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

get a name according to the 2nd field

Hi, I have a file with this format: name number -------------- ----------- AAA 11700 BBB 6000 CCC 6000 I want to catch any of these names if number > 200 How to do that? at a... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: melanie_pfefer
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Sort on basis of particular field

05.50.25:AIRE.S:RESTRICTED:S2: 05.50.25:ANDR.VI:RESTRICTED:S2: 05.50.25:BASF.MI:RESTRICTED:N: 05.50.25:BMWG.DE:RESTRICTED:N: 05.50.25:BORE.ST:RESTRICTED:N: I can sort of the basis of second field using " sort -t: -k2,2 " but what i want to sort the data is on the basis its extension e.g.:... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: manishma71
9 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Appending 1st field in a file into 2nd field in another file

Hi, I've internally searched through forums for about 2+ hours. Unfortunately, with no luck. Although I've found some cases close to mine below, but didn't help so much. Actually, I'm in short with time. So I had to post my case. Hoping that you can help. I have 2 files, FILE1 ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: amurib
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Append 1st field from a file into 2nd field of another file

Hi, I've internally searched through forums for about 2+ hours. Unfortunately, with no luck. Although I've found some cases close to mine below, but didn't help so much. Actually, I'm in short with time. So I had to post my case. Hoping that you can help. I have 2 files, FILE1 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: amurib
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sort help on non numeric field

Hi, I am unable to sort data on the first field $cat t Jim,212121,Seattle Bill,404404,Seattle Steve,246810,Nevada Scott,212277,LosAngeles Jim,212121,Ohio sort -t"," -k1,2 t Bill,404404,Seattle Jim,212121,Ohio Jim,212121,Seattle Scott,212277,LosAngeles Steve,246810,Nevada (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shivdatta
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to find the 2nd field

java....4059... compsite 62u IPv4 170747 TCP *:9400 (LISTEN) java...... 05... compsite 109u IPv4 171216 TCP *:9401 (LISTEN) This is Joust formated like this Please Repace "." with space" " All are Right Justfied Output :- 4058 and 05 so that i can kill this (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pareshpatra
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sort field and uniq

I have a flatfile A.txt 2012/12/04 14:06:07 |trees|Boards 2, 3|denver|mekong|mekong12 2012/12/04 17:07:22 |trees|Boards 2, 3|denver|mekong|mekong12 2012/12/04 17:13:27 |trees|Boards 2, 3|denver|mekong|mekong12 2012/12/04 14:07:39 |rain|Boards 1|tampa|merced|merced11 How do i sort and get... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sabercats
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Combine Similar Output from the 2nd field w.r.t 1st Field

Hi, For example: I have: HostA,XYZ HostB,XYZ HostC,ABC I would like the output to be: HostA,HostB: XYZ HostC:ABC How can I achieve this? So far what I though of is: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: alvinoo
1 Replies
FS_LISTCELLS(1) 					       AFS Command Reference						   FS_LISTCELLS(1)

NAME
fs_listcells - Displays the database server machines known to the Cache Manager SYNOPSIS
fs listcells [-numeric] [-help] fs listc [-n] [-h] DESCRIPTION
The fs listcells command formats and displays the list of the database server machines that the Cache Manager stores in kernel memory for its home cell and foreign cells. At each reboot of the client machine, the Cache Manager copies the contents of /etc/openafs/CellServDB into kernel memory. To modify the list between reboots, use the fs newcell command. OPTIONS
-numeric Displays each database server machine's IP address rather than hostname. -help Prints the online help for this command. All other valid options are ignored. OUTPUT
The output includes a line for each cell included in the Cache Manager's kernel memory list, in the following format: Cell <cell> on hosts <database server machines> The Cache Manager stores IP addresses, but by default has them translated to hostnames before reporting them, by passing them to the cell's name service (such as the Domain Name Service or a local host table). The name service sometimes returns hostnames in uppercase letters, or an IP address if it cannot resolve a name. Using the -numeric flag bypasses the translation to hostnames, which can result in significantly faster production of output. The output includes IP addresses only. EXAMPLES
The following example shows output for several cells as illustrations of the different formats for machine names: % fs listcells Cell abc.com on hosts fs1.abc.com fs2.abc.com fs3.abc.com Cell stateu.edu on hosts DB1.FS.STATEU.EDU DB2.FS.STATEU.EDU DB3.FS.STATEU.EDU Cell def.gov on hosts 138.255.0.2 sv3.def.gov PRIVILEGE REQUIRED
None SEE ALSO
CellServDB(5), fs_newcell(1) COPYRIGHT
IBM Corporation 2000. <http://www.ibm.com/> All Rights Reserved. This documentation is covered by the IBM Public License Version 1.0. It was converted from HTML to POD by software written by Chas Williams and Russ Allbery, based on work by Alf Wachsmann and Elizabeth Cassell. OpenAFS 2012-03-26 FS_LISTCELLS(1)