Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: perl newbie question
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers perl newbie question Post 302323442 by ghostdog74 on Sunday 7th of June 2009 09:04:43 PM
Old 06-07-2009
those solutions seems like multiple choices. please revise your Perl textbook again( if you have played with Perl, you should already know which one of those solution works. )

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Newbie question

Hello, I have text file while looks this test1 test2 test3 test4 test5 test6 and if I want to parse it and make new file which would like this test1 test2 test3 test4 test5 test6 How can I do this in korn shell script Thanks (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: peeyush_23
9 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Very new newbie question

sorry if im not asking inthe right spot but, how do you turn the beeping off every time you hit a key onthe keyboard. I tried the click -n but it told me it didnt recognize click any help would be greatly appreciated ( the beeping is not going over well in the surrounding cubicles) thank you... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Split100
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl newbie question

Can someone tell me what this is doing? I know it is reading records from a table and puts them in a hash. How do I print out, let's say, the first 5 columns of data (assuming columns are named col1, col2, ...)? $sth = $dbh->prepare("select * from stsc.loc ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ssmiths001
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX newbie NEWBIE question!

Hello everyone, Just started UNIX today! In our school we use solaris. I just want to know how do I setup Solaris 10 not the GUI one, the one where you have to type the commands like ECHO, ls, pwd, etc... I have windows xp and I also have vmware. I hope I am not missing anything! :p (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hanamachi
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl newbie . &&..programming newbie (question 2)

Hello everyone, I am having to do a lot of perl scripting these days and I am learning a lot. I have this problem I want to move files from a folder and all its sub folders to one parent folder, they are all .gz files.. there is folder1\folder2\*.gz and there are about 50 folders... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: xytiz
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl newbie . &&..programming newbie

Hi, I am new to programming and also to perl..But i know 'perl' can come to my rescue, But I am stuck at many places and need help..any small help is much appreciated... below is the description of what i intend to acheive with my script. I have a files named in this format... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: xytiz
13 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl newbie question re: variables

Hi there apologies for the really basic question but if i have a variable called $string that I want to run a regex against and output to another variable ...how do i do it, I know that if i wanted to alter the current $string variable i would do $string=~ s/old/new/g; but i kind of want... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rethink
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

newbie question

Hi all, I am sure this is very simple but I cant quite get it. I am trying to search textfile1.txt for a string then take the results of the search and append the result to textfile3.txt So far I have used $ find file1.txt -exec grep "string i am looking for" '{}' \; -print this... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: radgator
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Hidden Characters in Regular Expression Matching Perl - Perl Newbie

I am completely new to perl programming. My father is helping me learn said programming language. However, I am stuck on one of the assignments he has given me, and I can't find very much help with it via google, either because I have a tiny attention span, or because I can be very very dense. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kittyluva2
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

What does this do (newbie question)...

I was looking through some code online and came accross this... ls *.txt | grep text1 | cat file1 – file2 | `echo wc –l` I know what "ls|grep text1" does and I know a word count gets echoed but beyond that I am confused. Please use layman terms as much as possible as I am a newbie. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: elohssa
8 Replies
QUIZ(6) 							 BSD Games Manual							   QUIZ(6)

NAME
quiz -- random knowledge tests SYNOPSIS
quiz [-t] [-i file] [question answer] DESCRIPTION
The quiz utility tests your knowledge of random facts. It has a database of subjects from which you can choose. With no arguments, quiz displays the list of available subjects. The options are as follows: -t Use tutorial mode, in which questions are repeated later if you didn't get them right the first time, and new questions are presented less frequently to help you learn the older ones. -i Specify an alternative index file. Subjects are divided into categories. You can pick any two categories from the same subject. quiz will ask questions from the first cate- gory and it expects answers from the second category. For example, the command ``quiz victim killer'' asks questions which are the names of victims, and expects you to answer with the cause of their untimely demise, whereas the command ``quiz killer victim'' works the other way around. If you get the answer wrong, quiz lets you try again. To see the right answer, enter a blank line. Index and Data File Syntax The index and data files have a similar syntax. Lines in them consist of several categories separated by colons. The categories are regular expressions formed using the following meta-characters: pat|pat alternative patterns {pat} optional pattern [pat] delimiters, as in pat[pat|pat]pat In an index file, each line represents a subject. The first category in each subject is the pathname of the data file for the subject. The remaining categories are regular expressions for the titles of each category in the subject. In data files, each line represents a question/answer set. Each category is the information for the question/answer for that category. The backslash character (``'') is used to quote syntactically significant characters, or at the end of a line to signify that a continuation line follows. If either a question or its answer is empty, quiz will refrain from asking it. FILES
/usr/share/games/bsdgames/quiz The default index and data files. BUGS
quiz is pretty cynical about certain subjects. BSD
May 31, 1993 BSD