Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat login process taking a long time Post 302322849 by retlaw on Thursday 4th of June 2009 05:07:11 PM
Old 06-04-2009
user definitions

I neglected to include that.. they are standard /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

fetchmail taking long time to fetchmail...

Hi peeps, We are having around 60 users. The time set to retrieve the mail is 300 sec. But it's taking around 1 hour to deliver mails. I am using debian sarge 3.1. any clues? And how it will affect if I decrease the time? My machine has got 1 p4 3.0 GHZ processor and 1 GB ram. The home... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: squid04
2 Replies

2. Linux

it takes long time to login on server

Hi, I am trying to login using ssh on Red Hat Linux 5 server, The password appears immediately but after I enter the password it takes about 90 seconds to login completely. Please suggest what changes require? Regards, Manoj (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: manoj.solaris
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

<AIX>Problem in purge script, taking very very long time to complete 18.30hrs

Hi, I have here a script which is used to purge older files/directories based on defined purge period. The script consists of 45 find commands, where each command will need to traverse through more than a million directories. Therefore a single find command executes around 22-25 mins... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sravicha
7 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

gref -f taking long time for big file

grep -f taking long time to compare for big files, any alternate for fast check I am using grep -f file1 file2 to check - to ckeck dups/common rows prsents. But my files contains file1 contains 5gb and file 2 contains 50 mb and its taking such a long time to compare the files. Do we have any... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: gkskumar
10 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Changing Password process takes a long time

We are running unix. After a reboot of the server we have found that changing password takes a long time. if type in passwd "username" you can type in the 1st instance of the password , press enter , then it will wait for about 3 minutes before bringing up the confirm password line typing it in... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: AIXlewis
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Job is taking long time

Hi , We have 20 jobs are scheduled. In that one of our job is taking long time ,it's not completing. If we are not terminating it's running infinity time actually the job completion time is 5 minutes. The job is deleting some records from the table and two insert statements and one select... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajaykumarkona
7 Replies

7. Solaris

How to find out bottleneck if system is taking long time in gzip

Dear All, OS = Solaris 5.10 Hardware Sun Fire T2000 with 1 Ghz quode core We have oracle application 11i with 10g database. When ever i am trying to take cold backup of database with 55GB size its taking long time to finish. As the application is down nobody is using the server at all... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: yoojamu
8 Replies

8. UNIX and Linux Applications

database takes long time to process

Hi, we currently having a issue where when we send jobs to the server for the application lawson, it is taking a very long time to complete. here are the last few lines of the database log. 2012-09-18-10.35.55.707279-240 E244403536A576 LEVEL: Warning PID : 950492 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: techy1
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ls is taking long time to list

Hi, All the data are kept on Netapp using NFS. some directories are so fast when doing ls but few of them are slow. After doing few times, it becomes fast. Then again after few minutes, it becomes slow again. Can you advise what's going on? This one directory I am very interested is giving... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: samnyc
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Process running time by taking user input

Need help in scripting . Below is the situation and need your inputs Checking all the processes, scripts running time based on user input time . Below Example ps -aef -o user,pid,etime,stime,args| grep sleep <user> 28995 01:24 14:14:39 sleep 120 <user> 29385 00:52 14:15:10... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajayram_arya
8 Replies
CHSH(1) 							   User Commands							   CHSH(1)

NAME
chsh - change login shell SYNOPSIS
chsh [options] [LOGIN] DESCRIPTION
The chsh command changes the user login shell. This determines the name of the user's initial login command. A normal user may only change the login shell for her own account; the superuser may change the login shell for any account. OPTIONS
The options which apply to the chsh command are: -h, --help Display help message and exit. -s, --shell SHELL The name of the user's new login shell. Setting this field to blank causes the system to select the default login shell. If the -s option is not selected, chsh operates in an interactive fashion, prompting the user with the current login shell. Enter the new value to change the shell, or leave the line blank to use the current one. The current shell is displayed between a pair of [ ] marks. NOTE
The only restriction placed on the login shell is that the command name must be listed in /etc/shells, unless the invoker is the superuser, and then any value may be added. An account with a restricted login shell may not change her login shell. For this reason, placing /bin/rsh in /etc/shells is discouraged since accidentally changing to a restricted shell would prevent the user from ever changing her login shell back to its original value. FILES
/etc/passwd User account information. /etc/shells List of valid login shells. /etc/login.defs Shadow password suite configuration. SEE ALSO
chfn(1), login.defs(5), passwd(5). User Commands 06/24/2011 CHSH(1)