Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users how to send file as attachment using mail or mailx Post 302318257 by kieranfoley on Thursday 21st of May 2009 07:26:25 AM
Old 05-21-2009
how to send file as attachment using mail or mailx

I have a need to send a file from the unix command line to be sent as an attachment. Is this possible? That is when I open my outlook email I need to file to appear as an attachment.

Also, is there a way to use the mail binary (not mailx) to modify the "reply address". mailx -r works but I need to use mail and this does not have that option.

Thanks.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

using mailx to send a log file to my outlook e-mail account

I like to use mailx -s to send an entire xxxxx.log to my outlook e-mail account. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: simt
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

HELP!!! how to send PDF file as an attachment using mailx

Hi, iam using the following command: uuencode file1.pdf file1.pdf|mailx - s "waz up?" xyz@domain.com Iam recieving an encoding error when i try to open the attachment. Pls help..very urgent!!! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Brat
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

how to send file as attachment with mail ?

hello , i m new to linux/unix , well in my college their is linux server to which we all (i and my frnds) login , we can send mail to each other through command "mail" . but any one can tell me how can i attached a binary file with mail. we are using red hat , "pine ", "mailx" , all... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alert_every1
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with Mailx command to send mail with attachment

Hi, I am using mailx command to send a mail with attachment. It's working fine, but with attachment I am getting one extra attachment like (ATT00131.txt). I have tried to use unix2dos command also. But still I am getting the extra attachment. I am using the following code: subject="temp... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: viswanatharv
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading Delimited file and send mail with attachment

Hi All, My requirement is: 1. To read a file that contains log file location and server name. The format of the file is something like this : server_name1:logfilename1 server_name2:logfilename2 2. Now I wants to grep "error" string from the logfilename and put it into another file for... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: acheiver
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Mailx: How to send a attachment using mailx command

Hi All, Can anyone please provide the command for sending an mail with attachment using mailx command. Thanks in Advance :) Regards, Siram. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sriram.Vedula53
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to send html file in a mail not as an attachment but it should display in the mail in table for

Hi The below script working when we are sending the html as attachment can u please guide how to send thesmae data in table form direct in the mail and not in mail attachment . cat Employee.sql SET VERIFY OFF SET PAGESIZE 200 SET MARKUP HTML ON SPOOL ON PREFORMAT OFF ENTMAP ON - HEAD... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mani_isha
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

send attachment and body in one mail using mailx

Hi, Our requirement is to send an attachment and content in a single mail. I am using the below command to send attachement. --------------------- (uuencode $exp_file $exp_file) |mailx -s "$email_subject" $EmailRecipients -------------------- I m not able to send any message in the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ashwin3086
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

want to send .csv file as an attachment using mailx command.

want to send .csv file as an attachment using mailx command. Please help!!! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gagandeep
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Mailx command to send attachment file

Hi, I need to send a attachment which has space in the file name as: "ABC Data Extract.txt" which is present in the location /home/projects/txt i am using /home/projects/scripts mailx -s "Sub" email_id "/home/projects/txt/ABC Data Extract.txt" but i am not getting the attachment. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ATWC
7 Replies
XDG-EMAIL(1)															      XDG-EMAIL(1)

NAME
xdg-email - command line tool for sending mail using the user's preferred e-mail composer SYNOPSIS
xdg-email [--utf8] [--cc address] [--bcc address] [--subject text] [--body text] [--attach file] [mailto-uri address(es)] xdg-email {--help --manual --version} DESCRIPTION
xdg-email opens the user's preferred e-mail composer in order to send a mail to address(es) or mailto-uri. RFC2368 defines mailto: URIs. xdg-email limits support to, cc, subject and body fields in mailto-uri, all other fields are silently ignored. address(es) must follow the syntax of RFC822. Multiple addresses may be provided as separate arguments. All information provided on the command line is used to prefill corresponding fields in the user's e-mail composer. The user will have the opportunity to change any of this information before actually sending the e-mail. xdg-email is for use inside a desktop session only. It is not recommended to use xdg-email as root. See http://portland.freedesktop.org/EmailConfig for information on how the user can change the e-mail composer that is used. OPTIONS
--utf8 Indicates that all command line options that follow are in utf8. Without this option, command line options are expected to be encoded according to locale. If the locale already specifies utf8 this option has no effect. This option does not affect mailto URIs that are passed on the command line. --cc address Specify a recipient to be copied on the e-mail. --bcc address Specify a recipient to be blindly copied on the e-mail. --subject text Specify a subject for the e-mail. --body text Specify a body for the e-mail. Since the user will be able to make changes before actually sending the e-mail, this can be used to provide the user with a template for the e-mail. text may contain linebreaks. --attach file Specify an attachment for the e-mail. file must point to an existing file. Some e-mail applications require the file to remain present after xdg-email returns. --help Show command synopsis. --manual Show this manualpage. --version Show the xdg-utils version information. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
xdg-email honours the following environment variables: XDG_UTILS_DEBUG_LEVEL Setting this environment variable to a non-zero numerical value makes xdg-email do more verbose reporting on stderr. Setting a higher value increases the verbosity. EXIT CODES
An exit code of 0 indicates success while a non-zero exit code indicates failure. The following failure codes can be returned: 1 Error in command line syntax. 2 One of the files passed on the command line did not exist. 3 A required tool could not be found. 4 The action failed. 5 No permission to read one of the files passed on the command line. CONFIGURATION
Visit http://portland.freedesktop.org/EmailConfig for information how to configure xdg-email to use the email client of your choice. EXAMPLES
xdg-email 'Jeremy White <jwhite@example.com>' xdg-email --attach /tmp/logo.png --subject 'Logo contest' --body 'Attached you find the logo for the contest.' 'jwhite@example.com' xdg-email --subject 'Your password is about to expire' 'jwhite@example.com' 'bastian@example.com' 'whipple@example.com' AUTHOR
Kevin Krammer, Jeremy White. <kevin.krammer@gmx.at> <jwhite@codeweavers.com> xdg-utils 1.0 06/24/2007 XDG-EMAIL(1)