Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting List ALL users in a Unix Group (Primary and Secondary) Post 302318059 by ckmehta on Wednesday 20th of May 2009 04:20:21 PM
Old 05-20-2009
List ALL users in a Unix Group (Primary and Secondary)

Is there a command or better combination of cmds that will give me the list of Unix users in a particular Unix group whether their primary group is that group in question (information stored in /etc/passwd) or they are in a secondary group (information stored in /etc/group).

So far all I got is a combination of the following:
groupName=XXXXX
groupId=$( getent group | egrep "^${groupName}:" | cut -d: -f3 )
getent passwd | egrep "^.*:.*:.*:${groupId}" | cut -f1 -d:
getent group | egrep "^${groupName}:" | cut -f4 -d:

(Yeah for all you NIS and/or LDAP guys, I did use the getent commands) Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to find All Primary and Secondary Group ID's for a user

Is there any command which can list me all the Group ID's (Primary, Secondary ) assocaited with a single user. Thanks Sanjay (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sanjay92
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Assigning existing users to a secondary group

Hi!!, I am on HP UX -11. I have created a new group and want to assign some the users to this group without changing their existing group ( The new group is the secondary group for them) Any ideas how to do it?? SAM doesnt seem to be working.. Any way of doing it from command line?? ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jyotipg
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Change a users primary group after login

When users login, they are directed to menu (aix script). The menu enables the user to choose an environment to work in. Each environment has a different group id. When a user chooses a menu option, I want to change his primary group to that specific environment's group id. Is this at all possible... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: terrym
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

primary-secondary sync problem

hi guys, i am new to this DNS business and i'm having a problem. the setup is bind 9.2.3 is installed on a sun solaris 8 server and is the primary DNS. men and mice suite is installed on another sun solaris 8 and that is our secondary DNS server. problem is recently the secondary DNS stopped... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mbannout
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Synchronizing primary and secondary name servers

Hello All, Does some one know how to synchronize the primary name server with the secondary without knowing the domains on which synchronization failed. I have just done /usr/sbin/ndc reload Alternatively how do i find out the domains on which synchronization failed? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: a2z1982
4 Replies

6. Linux

Secondary linux dist WITHIN primary one

Hi New here so forgive my ignorance and inability to express myself in an informative manner ;) I have a Fedora distribution installed on my development computer. The system we build is meant to run on a slackware dist which is all fine and well. But due to our flow of deployment I would have... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: inquam
2 Replies

7. Solaris

su: No shell/No directory! if sys is added to a users secondary group

Hi, When I include a user to the secondary group "sys" GID=3 in Solaris 9 OS I'm not able to login. I get these error. The user home directory and the shell exists. Is this because of any security hardening. # su - agent No directory! # su agent su: No shell # grep taddm /etc/passwd... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: agent001
14 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to list primary group of users

Dear All I am facing a problem with my script. I have to found the primary group of users . So first I selected all the groups and users register from a specific user : ONE Then I am making a file with all groups attached to the user : ONE Then I am making a file with all... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Aswex
8 Replies

9. AIX

How to find Primary & Secondary VIOS?

Hi, In a Dual VIOSs setup having 4 SEA adapters each, how to find which one is Primary and Secondary.? Regards, Siva (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ksgnathan
2 Replies

10. Solaris

DNS Primary and Secondary

hi there, i using salaris 10 as my DNS server. i have 2 dns server primary and secondary. if primary dns server i edit/update, the other secondary dns server must be sync too. How can i configure if dns server (primary) can sync the secondary? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tappetmus
1 Replies
CPG_MEMBERSHIP_GET(3)				    Corosync Cluster Engine Programmer's Manual 			     CPG_MEMBERSHIP_GET(3)

NAME
cpg_membership_get - Returns a list of members of a CPG group SYNOPSIS
#include <corosync/cpg.h> int cpg_membership_get(cpg_handle_t handle, struct cpg_name *groupName, struct cpg_address *member_list, int *member_list_entries); DESCRIPTION
The cpg_membership_get function is used to determine the current processes in the configuration. You probably will not need to call this function much as one of the first confchg callbacks you will get will be from the cpg_join() function containing your process. The argu- ment handle is used to reference the cpg instantiation. The argument groupName will return the name of the group The argument member_list will return the list of processors in the current membership. The argument member_list_entries should be set with the size of member_list and will return the size of the member_list after return from the function. ERRORS
The errors are undocumented. SEE ALSO
cpg_overview(8), cpg_initialize(3), cpg_finalize(3), cpg_fd_get(3), cpg_dispatch(3), cpg_join(3), cpg_leave(3), cpg_mcast_joined(3), cpg_membership_get(3) cpg_zcb_alloc(3) cpg_zcb_free(3) cpg_zcb_mcast_joined(3) cpg_context_get(3) cpg_context_set(3) cpg_local_get(3) corosync Man Page 2006-02-06 CPG_MEMBERSHIP_GET(3)