Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Procmail
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Procmail Post 302317571 by mojoman on Tuesday 19th of May 2009 10:30:44 AM
Old 05-19-2009
Procmail

Hi,

I have a few questions.

I am new to UNIX/Linux. At work I notice that our mail server uses sendmail. When I looked in the sendmail.cf file I see that it is using PROCMAIL as the Local Delivery Agent.

Questions:-
  1. I looked for /etc/procmail to see its configuration file but I see none. Is that normal?
  2. And the main question I have is how does procmail know where to deliver the mail? We have users on two partitions after all!
  3. When users loggin to this server to get email how does the email client know where to go?

I am fuzzy on understanding how mail systems work and could use some help.

Last edited by rbatte1; 07-05-2017 at 08:02 AM.. Reason: Set up formatted numbered lists

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Procmail Tutorial

Hello, Somebody knows a good procmail tutorial in the net? Thanks!:) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: luiz_fer10
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Procmail filter

Hello, I want to make a filter with procmail, using the day of the week ant the hour to filter the message. If the day is Tuesday, the message is redirected to one address. On the other days, the message goes to another address. The messages will be redirected at 8 am to 17 pm. I tried... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: luiz_fer10
1 Replies

3. Email Antispam Techniques and Email Filtering

procmail rule

I can tell this is not a recently active formum, but here goes, "why doesn't this procmail rule block messages with víagra or v1agra appearing in the subject header :0 * ^Subject:.*(víagra¦v1agra¦pénis¦prescripti0n¦Medicati0n¦M0rtgage¦Xanaxz) { LOG="(THE 7 DIRTY WORDS) " :0 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jones
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

procmail code help

Hello, I was wondering if my code is correct on a procmail recipe I am trying to use. I am trying to set up custom filter for for my email address. What needs to happen is any email NOT addressed to me in the to: or cc: field is deleted. For the time being it is set it up to go to another... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hexabah
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Procmail script

Hi, I need to write a procmail script such that: - incoming email is scanned to see if it is spam - if spam deliver to spam folder - otherwise deliver to inbox and send a copy to another address. So far I have: :0 * ^Subject:.*SPULK DUMB I can make a new recipe on to forward mail... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mojoman
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

procmail, backup, ftp

Hello, On a remote server with Centos 5.0, I am running procmail At /var/mail/vhosts/, I can find all the accounts and I was thinking of saving those files on my local machine using ftp. The structure is right and the files containing the emails (most of them stored in the cur folders) appear... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: JCR
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Procmail or Spamassassin?

Hello, this is my first visit to your forum and I've searched previous threads for my answer but have not been able to find one. Apologies if there is one that I didn't discover. Is there a way of bouncing or deleting spam that contains non-existent addresses in TO: field but is delivered due... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: WendyTinley
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

a few questions about procmail

Hello, I am running a email server on Centos 5.3 (dovecot, postfix, with emails for a few domains) and I am wondering whether I am using procmail or not. I know procmail is installed because procmail -version returns: Locking strategies: dotlocking, fcntl() Default rcfile: ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: JCR
0 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Procmail and infinite loop

I wanted to copy (not forward but copy) all incoming email to another address of mine. It worked, but now I encountered an infinite loop problem: When the second address doesn't like the content and bounces the message back, the bounce message will be sent back and forth. So, what I have in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: distill
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with SendMail Procmail filtering

Hi All, I am very new to Unix. I have a test server running FreeBSD 10.1 and SendMail 8.14.9. I need to filter incoming emails based on the sender's email address or domain and forward them to another address on a different domain as well as to the original recipient. Can I achieve this with... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: simplemind
1 Replies
HOBBIT-MAILACK(8)					      System Manager's Manual						 HOBBIT-MAILACK(8)

NAME
hobbit-mailack - permit acknowledging alerts via e-mail SYNOPSIS
hobbit-mailack --env=FILENAME [--debug] DESCRIPTION
hobbit-mailack normally runs as an input mail-filter for the hobbit user, e.g. by being called from the xymon users' procmailrc(5) file. hobbit-mailack recognizes e-mails that are replies to hobbitd_alert(8) mail alerts, and converts the reply mail into an acknowledge message that is sent to the Xymon system. This permits an administrator to acknowledge an alert via e-mail. ADDING INFORMATION TO THE REPLY MAIL
By default, an acknowledgment is valid for 1 hour. If you know in advance that solving the problem is going to take longer, you can change this by adding delay=DURATION to the subject of your mail reply or on a line in the reply message. Duration is in minutes, unless you add a trailing 'h' (for 'hours'), 'd' (for 'days') or 'w' (for 'weeks'). You can also include a message that will show up on the status-page together with the acknowledgment, e.g. to provide an explanation for the issue or some other information to the users. You can either put it at the end of the subject line as msg=Some random text, or you can just enter it in the e-mail as the first non-blank line of text in the mail (a "delay=N" line is ignored when looking for the message text). USE WITH PROCMAIL
To setup hobbit-mailack, create a .procmailrc file in the xymon-users home-directory with the following contents: DEFAULT=$HOME/Mailbox LOGFILE=$HOME/procmail.log :0 | $HOME/server/bin/hobbit-mailack --env=$HOME/server/etc/hobbitserver.cfg USE WITH QMAIL
If you are using Qmail to deliver mail locally, you can run hobbit-mailack directly from a .qmail file. Setup the xymon-users .qmail file like this: | $HOME/server/bin/hobbit-mailack --env=$HOME/server/etc/hobbitserver.cfg OPTIONS
--env=FILENAME Load environment from FILENAME, usually hobbitserver.cfg. --debug Dont send a message to hobbitd, but dump the message to stdout. SEE ALSO
hobbitd_alert(8), hobbitd(8), xymon(7) Xymon Version 4.2.3: 4 Feb 2009 HOBBIT-MAILACK(8)