Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting AWK: replace single positional character given variables Post 302314167 by System Shock on Thursday 7th of May 2009 02:19:10 PM
Old 05-07-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by vgersh99
something like this? It will need to get 'massaged' to fit the wrapper script, but it's a start.
idx - index into array of 7-s (0-based - adding 1 as awk's arrays are 1-based)
val - value to assign to indexed cell.
Code:
echo '7,7,7,7,7,7,7,7,7,7,7,7,7,7,7,7' | nawk -F, -v idx=2 -v val=4 '$(idx+1)=val' OFS=','

I like that. Thanks. I am not that great at awk, and I just couldn't visualize it.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Matching multiples of a single character using sed and awk

Hi, I have a file 'imei_01.txt' having the following contents: $ cat imei_01.txt a123456 bbr22135 yet223 where I want to check whether the expression 'first single alphabet followed by 6 digits' is present in the file (here it is the first record 'a123456') I am using the following... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: royalibrahim
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using two shell variables in single AWK statement

meas is a shell variable, and this works perfectly fine for me: awk -v var=$meas -F, '$1==var' /abcd/efgh.txt > temp1.csv However, i want to introduce another shell variable, named, defnfile in the statement, in place of hardcoded path for efgh.txt like: awk -v var=$meas -F, '$1==var'... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: indianjassi
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

replace two character strings by two variables with sed command

Hello, I want to writte a script that replace two character strings by two variables with the command sed butmy solution doesn't work. I'm written this: sed "s/TTFactivevent/$TTFav/g && s/switchSLL/$SLL/g" templatefile. I want to replace TTFactivevent by the variable $TTFav, that is a... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: POPO10
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How do you print a single quote character in AWK

How do you print out a single quote character in AWK? Using the escape character does not seem to work. {printf "%1$s %2$s%3$s%2$s\n" , "INCLUDE", " \' ", "THIS" } does not work. Any suggestions? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cold_Que
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace multiple occurances of same character with a single character.

Hi all, Greetings, I have the following scenario, The contents of main file are like : Unix|||||forum|||||||||||||||is||||||the||best so||||||be|||||on||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||it And i need the output in the following form: Unix=forum=is=the=best so=be=on=it ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dipanchandra
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk - setting fs to equal any single character

Hi Does anyone know how to set any character as the field separator with awk/nawk on a solaris 10 box. I have tried using /./ regex but this doesnt work either and im out of ideas. thanks (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: chronics
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with positional variables in BASH

Hello, my problem is simple & I searched a lot but I couldn't find anything about it: Basically I'd like to pass $i to a variable, $i being the positional variable; but it is unknown in the beginning so I can't do it like eg. myvar=$3, it HAS to be the "i".. First, I tried myvar=$($i) ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: timmyyyyy
8 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Print Positional variables

Hi, I have to use the vaious kind of filters based on various fields in the input file like - count occurence of cases where "TRK-GRP" = 169 or like "ADDR-DIG" = 80080. I don;t know the positional variable for all below fields. Please help. Input File : +++ BEST 12-05-27 15:06:49 MDI 3478... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vanand420
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find and replace single character w/awk given conditions

I have a file that looks like this: 14985 DPN verb PPa to spend. 12886 DPNDJN bay tree. 15686 DQ verb to observe 15656 KC ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jvoot
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Positional Parameters Arguments/Variables when using dot (.)

Hi, Is there a special positional variables for when using the dot (.)? Scripts are as below: $: head -100 x.ksh /tmp/y.ksh ==> x.ksh <== #!/bin/ksh # . /tmp/y.ksh 1234 abcd echo "yvar1 = $yvar1" echo "yvar2 = $yvar2" ==> /tmp/y.ksh <== #!/bin/ksh (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
2 Replies
IGAWK(1)							 Utility Commands							  IGAWK(1)

NAME
igawk - gawk with include files SYNOPSIS
igawk [ all gawk options ] -f program-file [ -- ] file ... igawk [ all gawk options ] [ -- ] program-text file ... DESCRIPTION
Igawk is a simple shell script that adds the ability to have ``include files'' to gawk(1). AWK programs for igawk are the same as for gawk, except that, in addition, you may have lines like @include getopt.awk in your program to include the file getopt.awk from either the current directory or one of the other directories in the search path. OPTIONS
See gawk(1) for a full description of the AWK language and the options that gawk supports. EXAMPLES
cat << EOF > test.awk @include getopt.awk BEGIN { while (getopt(ARGC, ARGV, "am:q") != -1) ... } EOF igawk -f test.awk SEE ALSO
gawk(1) Effective AWK Programming, Edition 1.0, published by the Free Software Foundation, 1995. AUTHOR
Arnold Robbins (arnold@skeeve.com). Free Software Foundation Nov 3 1999 IGAWK(1)