Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: echo $ problem
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers echo $ problem Post 302313341 by chaitubek on Tuesday 5th of May 2009 11:03:49 AM
Old 05-05-2009
echo $ problem

Hi

I am using tcsh.

I want display in a file_1 like this.

$VARIBALE

I gave in a termianl
> echo "\$VARIBALE" > file_1

Its not workning.
It was giving VARIBALE: Undefined variable.

I gave \ before $, but why it was giving undefined varible?

Please help me.

Thanks in advance

Chaitanya.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

`echo` problem.

Have the following lines in a script: echo "-----------------------------------------------"\ "---------------------" >> $xdfrpt echo "- Date - - / - /stand - /u - /u1 - /u2 -"\ "/x1 - /x2 - /x3 -" >> $xdfrpt echo... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Cameron
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

echo problem

Hi, I have given the following statement in a script to put the values of variables (VAR1, VAR2,...) in a file. echo " $VAR1 $VAR2 $VAR3 $VAR4 $VAR5" >> filename But the output is not coming properly. Variables VAR5, VAR4 are replacing the first (VAR1, VAR2,..). I can't... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: abrd600
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

echo variable problem

hi I have say five variable. I would ask the user which one they want me to print and then print accordingly. TEST_1='10.2.3.4' TEST_2='11.2.3.5' TEST_3='12.2.3.5' TEST_4='13.2.3.5' TEST_5='14.2.3.5' print_var() { echo "Accessing var num $1" echo TEST$1 #??? But How do... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sabina
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

echo problem

echo "XXXXX" >> /xx/output.txt cat /xx/file.txt| awk '{tony=tony+$1+$2; print tony/$3*100}' >> /xx/output.txt Dear all, In this situation i will have 2 lines in the output file. What i want is to have only one output line. e.g: XXXXX "value" HOW to put the output of the "cat and awk" in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tontal
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with echo *

Hello all, Please help with the below. I have a requirement where in I have to read a pattern and print it as shown below. Patterns will be as below. Input Output Pattern Should be printed as below with spaces such that I can awk. -*--* - * - - * *--**... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tenderfoot
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

echo problem

hi all i have little problem below is my shell script a=`sqlplus fss_cst/fss_cst@dolp1 << EOF SET PAGESIZE 0 FEEDBACK OFF TRIMOUT ON; select process from lfs$ta_process where valid_to_dat=to_date('9/16/2010','mm/dd/yyyy'); EOF` echo ${SQL} the script name is test2.sh when i execute... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: aishsimplesweet
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Double echo problem

I'm parsing a router configuration file and printing out some of the fields. Given the following output, I'd like to add the filename to the first column. I'm definately a neophyte in scripting. COUNTER=${#array1 } while ; do ######## echo -n $JUNOS_FILE | ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nocleader
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

echo display problem

Hi I am facing a strange problem a=03 echo ${a} the output is 3 But i want to display it is 03 Can you people help me how to display it like 03. Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: aishsimplesweet
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple echo problem

Hey all! I'm in an intro to UNIX class at university, and we've just began writing scripts. Naturally I can't get it to do what I want. Basic script as follows: COMPARE1=`ls|wc -l` tar czf archive.tgz ~/path/to/file COMPARE2=`tar tvzf archive.tgz|wc -l` if then ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: nickzourdos
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with echo command

I am trying to get ascii file using echo command, e.g. - echo "\050" It is correctly working on RHEL 4 but not in RHEL 5. Please help me to fix the issue. ## Working as expected in RHEL 4 $ lsb_release -d Description: Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS release 4 (Nahant Update 8) $ echo... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: atanubanerji
4 Replies
echo(3XCURSES)						  X/Open Curses Library Functions					    echo(3XCURSES)

NAME
echo, noecho - enable/disable terminal echo SYNOPSIS
cc [ flag... ] file... -I /usr/xpg4/include -L /usr/xpg4/lib -R /usr/xpg4/lib -lcurses [ library... ] c89 [ flag... ] file... -lcurses [ library... ] #include <curses.h> int echo(void); int noecho(void); DESCRIPTION
The echo() function enables Echo mode for the current screen. The noecho() function disables Echo mode for the current screen. Initially, curses software echo mode is enabled and hardware echo mode of the tty driver is disabled. The echo() and noecho() functions control soft- ware echo only. Hardware echo must remain disabled for the duration of the application, else the behavior is undefined. RETURN VALUES
Upon successful completion, these functions return OK. Otherwise, they return ERR. ERRORS
No errors are defined. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |MT-Level |Unsafe | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
getch(3XCURSES), getstr(3XCURSES), initscr(3XCURSES), libcurses(3XCURSES), scanw(3XCURSES), attributes(5), standards(5) SunOS 5.11 5 Jun 2002 echo(3XCURSES)