Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Removing ^Z Character in a File Post 302313317 by joeyg on Tuesday 5th of May 2009 10:15:14 AM
Old 05-05-2009
Hammer & Screwdriver Have you tried the tr command?

Perhaps...
Code:
tr -d '\32'

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Removing the ^M character in VI

Hello, I am attempting to remove all the ^M characters in a file in VI. The command I am using is :1,$s/^V^M//g but it doesn't work, saying 'substitute pattern match failed'. Any ideas why? Jules (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: julesinbath
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

removing a character and addending to end in each line in a file

HI i am having a file this (sys19:pnlfct:/pfact/temp>) cat temp_sand 1234567890 1234567890 1234567890 1234567890 I want to make this file as (sys19:pnlfct:/pfact/temp>) cat temp_sand 1456789023 1456789023 1456789023 1456789023 just take the 2nd and 3rd position and put it... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: arunkumar_mca
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing last character from each line of file

How can I remove the last character from each line of a file? This must be done without "funny" characters, as I want to transfer the code to/from Windows. Any ideas? (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: cjhancock
17 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Removing selectively the last character from a file

Dear Members, Problem is suppose i have 50 lines in a file, 40 lines last character is "\" and the remaining 10 lines are good(i mean these 10 lines do not have "\" character) How can i remove this character from the file. Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sandeep_1105
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Removing ^@ character at the end own belowof Linux file

Hi, I have a Linux file which has content as sh (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: bhuvanas
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing Special Character from File.

Hi, My file has this special character "^M" I would like to remove this characters. eg: abc,abc,^M i tried using sed but doesnt work. i used octal dump command to see special character it returns following: 015 \r Appreciate your reply. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinnacle
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need some help removing a character from name

I have a file like this: DDD_ABCDE2AB2_1104081408.104480 I need to remove the 1 after the . in the file name so that it reads: DDD_ABCDE2AB2_1104081408.04480 Having some difficulty getting the command to work. I tried using cut -d 26 but that just doesn't work. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bbbngowc
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need help removing last character of every line if certain character

I need help removing the last character of every line if it is a certain character. For example I need to get rid of a % character if it is in the last position. Input: aaa% %bbb ccc d%dd% Output should be: aaa %bbb ccc d%dd I tried this but it gets rid of all of the % characters.... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: raptor25
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script for removing newline character from file

Hi below is my file. cat input.dat 101,abhilash,1000 102,prave en,2000 103,partha,4 000 10 4,naresh,5000 (its just a example file) and my output should be: 101,abhilash,1000 102,praveen,2000 103,partha,4000 104,naresh,5000 below is my code cat input.dat |tr -d '\n' >... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhilash_nakka
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing last character of a specific line from a file

Hello guys, I would need to remove the last character ")" of a specific line. This can be from any line. Your help is appreciated. Below is the line. HOSTNAME=(DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)) Please help. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sang8g
6 Replies
XGetCommand()															     XGetCommand()

Name
  XGetCommand - get the XA_WM_COMMAND property (command-line arguments).

Synopsis
  Status XGetCommand(display, w, argv_return, argc_return)
	 Display *display;
	 Window w;
	 char ***argv_return;
	 int *argc_return;

Arguments
  display   Specifies a connection to an X server; returned from XOpenDisplay().

w	    Specifies the window.

argv_return
	    Returns the application's argument list.

argc_return
	    Returns the number of arguments returned.

Returns
  Zero on failure, non-zero on success.

Description
  XGetCommand()  reads the XA_WM_COMMAND property from the specified window and returns a string list.	If the XA_WM_COMMAND property exists,
  it is of type XA_STRING and format 8.  If sufficient memory can be allocated to  contain  the  string  list,	XGetCommand()  fills  in  the
  argv_return and argc_return arguments and returns a non-zero status.	If the data returned by the server is in the Latin Portable Character
  Encoding, then the returned strings are in the Host Portable Character Encoding.  Otherwise, the result is implementation-dependent.	 Oth-
  erwise,  it  returns	a  zero  status.   If  the data returned by the server is in the Latin Portable Character Encoding, then the returned
  strings are in the Host Portable Character Encoding.	Otherwise, the result is implementation-dependent.  To free the memory	allocated  to
  the string list, use XFreeStringList().

Errors
  BadWindow

See Also
  XFetchName(),  XGetClassHint(), XGetIconName(), XGetIconSizes(), XGetNormalHints(), XGetSizeHints(), XGetTransientForHint(), XGetWMHints(),
  XGetZoomHints(),   XSetClassHint(),	XSetIconName(),   XSetIconSizes(),   XSetNormalHints(),   XSetSizeHints(),    XSetTransientForHint(),
  XSetWMHints(), XSetZoomHints(), XStoreName().

Xlib - Window Manager Hints													     XGetCommand()