Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting how to run script? call other script? su to another user? make a cron? Post 302313053 by instant000 on Monday 4th of May 2009 01:35:23 PM
Old 05-04-2009
Java

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbe
And if the second script fail the others are never called?

Why not simply have a script for each user called by root cronfile?
Then the syntax would be in the cron file:
su - <user> -c <your_users_script>
Actually, if any of the three scripts fail, the process fails.

I'm asking because I don't know how to do this.

This is what I know how to do:

su <username>
cd /path/path/path/path
driver1.stop
driver1.start
exit
su <username2>
cd /path/path/path
driver2.stop
driver2.start
exit
su <username3>
cd /path/path/path
driver3.stop
driver3.start

Are you saying that I can schedule them independently of each other?

Due to the nature of the program (drivers for some program to tie into a database), I am not sure if I can do them, except in this order.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Call shell script from php not run ?

Hi. I write a shell script for import data to oracle using sql loader. I set permission 755 or 777 for that script. I can run that script in the consol okay. When I call it from PHP using system command. I got return value 126 this value when don't have permission right ? I check step... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: raccsdl
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can anyone make this script run faster?

One of our servers runs Solaris 8 and does not have "ls -lh" as a valid command. I wrote the following script to make the ls output easier to read and emulate "ls -lh" functionality. The script works, but it is slow when executed on a directory that contains a large number of files. Can anyone make... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: shew01
10 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

shell script run by user or cron job ?

My shell script runs fine both as a cron job and when i issue it. However, I wish to differentiate when it runs as a cron-job so the "echo" statements are not issued (they get mailed to me, which i don't want). I tried checking $USER but since the cron was created in my user that does not... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sentinel
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

howto run remotely call function from within script

Hi I have the following script : #!/bin/ksh #################### Function macAddressFinder ######################## macAddressFinder() { `ifconfig -a > ipInterfaces` `cat ipInterfaces` } ####################################################################### # # print... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: presul
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

how we can make shell script not to run

Hi,shell script is scheduled from maestro and we want mastero should not run shell script so can we edit the shell script so that it should run.ThanksPrakash (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: prakashdba2010
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

help to make script run recursively

I have this little bash script I use to transcode mkv files using handbrake. #!/bin/bash sourcedir="/media/raid10/video/to_be_encoded_series" destdir="/media/raid10/video/series" cd "$sourcedir" for i in *.mkv; do HandBrakeCLI -i "$i" -o "$destdir/${i%.*}.mkv" -e x264 -q 20.0 -E copy -B... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: barrydocks
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Run script through cron with user environment variables

Hi everyone, I wrote a script that is supposed to be run by cron on a daily basis. It works just fine if I run it manually, but due to a lack of environment variables (which are available during my user session but not when cron runs the script) it keeps failing to run successfully. Here's the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gacanepa
2 Replies

8. AIX

Commands to call script work from command line but not from Cron entry

My first post evidently did not materialize so I posted it again: Runnning a cron job every 5 mins to send data files to a state facility. My original cron entry at worked fine: 01,06,11,16,21,26,31,36,41,46,51,56 * * * * /home/sftpuser/stateinoc-from-appname.ksh Somewhere I have a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Skyybugg
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script from makefile - it is called each time i call make

I've created a tag in the makefile: mytag: $(shell ${PWD}/script.sh) When i do: make clean - the script is executed When i perform make or make mytag the script is again executed with the output: make: Nothing to be done for mytag What i want ? I want script.sh to be executed only... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pufo
0 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script run in a case statement call to run a php file, also Perl

Linux System having all Perl, Python, PHP (and Ruby) installed From a Shell script, can call a Perl, Python, PHP (or Ruby ?) file eg eg a Shell script run in a case statement call to run a php file, also Perl or/and Python file??? Like #!/usr/bin/bash .... .... case $INPUT_STRING... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hoyanet
1 Replies
queuedefs(4)                                                       File Formats                                                       queuedefs(4)

NAME
queuedefs - queue description file for at, batch, and cron SYNOPSIS
/etc/cron.d/queuedefs DESCRIPTION
The queuedefs file describes the characteristics of the queues managed by cron(1M). Each non-comment line in this file describes one queue. The format of the lines are as follows: q.[njobj][nicen][nwaitw] The fields in this line are: q The name of the queue. a is the default queue for jobs started by at(1); b is the default queue for jobs started by batch (see at(1)); c is the default queue for jobs run from a crontab(1) file. njob The maximum number of jobs that can be run simultaneously in that queue; if more than njob jobs are ready to run, only the first njob jobs will be run, and the others will be run as jobs that are currently running terminate. The default value is 100. nice The nice(1) value to give to all jobs in that queue that are not run with a user ID of super-user. The default value is 2. nwait The number of seconds to wait before rescheduling a job that was deferred because more than njob jobs were running in that job's queue, or because the system-wide limit of jobs executing has been reached. The default value is 60. Lines beginning with # are comments, and are ignored. EXAMPLES
Example 1: A sample file. # # a.4j1n b.2j2n90w This file specifies that the a queue, for at jobs, can have up to 4 jobs running simultaneously; those jobs will be run with a nice value of 1. As no nwait value was given, if a job cannot be run because too many other jobs are running cron will wait 60 seconds before trying again to run it. The b queue, for batch(1) jobs, can have up to 2 jobs running simultaneously; those jobs will be run with a nice(1) value of 2. If a job cannot be run because too many other jobs are running, cron(1M) will wait 90 seconds before trying again to run it. All other queues can have up to 100 jobs running simultaneously; they will be run with a nice value of 2, and if a job cannot be run because too many other jobs are running cron will wait 60 seconds before trying again to run it. FILES
/etc/cron.d/queuedefs queue description file for at, batch, and cron. SEE ALSO
at(1), crontab(1), nice(1), cron(1M) SunOS 5.10 1 Mar 1994 queuedefs(4)