Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers search words in different file Post 302312884 by manish6725 on Monday 4th of May 2009 01:51:58 AM
Old 05-04-2009
use
grep "internet" * or To be more specific use grep -l "internet" *

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

search for words in file

hi all, i would like to search in a directory. all files they were found shoul be opend and looked about a keyword. if keyword is found i want to see the name of the file. i've rtfm of find and have a command like this : find /etc -exec cat \{}\ | grep KEYWORD but don't work, and : find... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Agent_Orange
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Search File for Specific Words

I have a file that contains the following: Mon Dec 3 15:52:57 PST 2o007: FAILED TO PROCESSED FILE 200712030790881200.TXT - exit code=107 Tue Dec 4 09:08:57 PST 2007: FAILED TO PROCESSED FILE 200712030790879200a.TXT - exit code=107 This file also has a lot more stuff since it is a log file.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mevasquez
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search a test file for specific words

I have the need to search a text file from my unix script to determine if it contains the strings of: 'ERROR' and/or 'WARNING'. By using Grep I can search the file and return a where one of these strings exists. Like this: cat myfile.txt | grep ERROR Output: PROCESS ERROR HERE ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: buechler66
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to search and append words in a file

Hi , I have a file myhost.txt which contains below, 127.0.0.1 localhost 1.17.1.5 atrpx958 11.17.10.11 atrpx958zone nsybhost I need to append words only after "atrpx958" like 'myhost' and 'libhost' and not after atrpx958zone. How to search the word atrpx958 only in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gsreeni
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to search and append words in the same file using unix scripting file operations

Hi , I have a file myhost.txt which contains below, 127.0.0.1 localhost 1.17.1.5 atrpx958 11.17.10.11 atrpx958zone nsybhost I need to append words only after "atrpx958" like 'myhost' and 'libhost' and not after atrpx958zone. How to search the word atrpx958(which is hostname) only,... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gsreeni
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Search file or log for words or strings

i want to search a log for occurrences of words and i want the result to tell me how many lines in the log contained each word. if i type a command like this: egrep "cat|dog|monkey|bananas|bike" logfile i would like a response like this: cat=3,dog=17,monkey=1,bananas=102,bike=51 the... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
12 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search for words NOT in a text file

I have a long list of alphanumberic words (no spaces or characters) in file1.txt I need to check for the existance of each of the words from file1.txt against file2.txt and if the word is NOT in file2.txt, I need to know about it, either standard output or redirect to file3.txt For example:... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajp7701
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search string within a file and list common words from the line having the search string

Hi, Need your help for this scripting issue I have. I am not really good at this, so seeking your help. I have a file looking similar to this: Hello, i am human and name=ABCD. How are you? Hello, i am human and name=PQRS. I am good. Hello, i am human and name=ABCD. Good bye. Hello, i... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: royzlife
12 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search words in multiple file line by line

Hi All I have to search servers name say like 1000+ "unique names" line by line in child.txt files in another file that is a master file where all server present say "master.txt",if child.txt's server name matches with master files then it print yes else no with server name. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: netdbaind
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search words in any quote position and then change the words

hi, i need to replace all words in any quote position and then need to change the words inside the file thousand of raw. textfile data : "Ninguno","Confirma","JuicioABC" "JuicioCOMP","Recurso","JuicioABC" "JuicioDELL","Nulidad","Nosino" "Solidade","JuicioEUR","Segundo" need... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: benjietambling
1 Replies
ZGREP(1)						      General Commands Manual							  ZGREP(1)

NAME
zgrep - search possibly compressed files for a regular expression SYNOPSIS
zgrep [ grep_options ] [ -e ] pattern filename... DESCRIPTION
Zgrep is used to invoke the grep on compress'ed or gzip'ed files. All options specified are passed directly to grep. If no file is speci- fied, then the standard input is decompressed if necessary and fed to grep. Otherwise the given files are uncompressed if necessary and fed to grep. If zgrep is invoked as zegrep or zfgrep then egrep or fgrep is used instead of grep. If the GREP environment variable is set, zgrep uses it as the grep program to be invoked. For example: for sh: GREP=fgrep zgrep string files for csh: (setenv GREP fgrep; zgrep string files) AUTHOR
Charles Levert (charles@comm.polymtl.ca) SEE ALSO
grep(1), egrep(1), fgrep(1), zdiff(1), zmore(1), znew(1), zforce(1), gzip(1), gzexe(1) ZGREP(1)