Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris How to list group members in solaris 9 Post 302312391 by jlliagre on Friday 1st of May 2009 09:09:39 AM
Old 05-01-2009
Thanks seg for the tip. I had forgotten the logins command.

vr_mari: not sure about why you insist telling you use getenv while the output clearly shows you run getent. By the way, getent not only look in the /etc files but also in whatever remote database (nis, ldap, ...) might be declared in nsswitch.conf.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

listing members of a unix group

I know there is a "groups" command to list the groups a user belongs to, but how about the opposite? Is there a standard command to find out which users belong to a particular group? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ovaska
2 Replies

2. Solaris

How do you list users in a solaris group

I need to list all users in a group. This is a large unix site running nis+. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: gillbates
6 Replies

3. Solaris

make issue when I add some members into a NIS group on solaris 9,please help !!

Hello Sir, I want to add some members into a group on NIS domain, but when I run "/usr/ccs/bin/make group" to update the group map it was failed :-( the error message is : problem storing develop... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lk74612
4 Replies

4. Programming

allowing members of a group to kill a process

I've written a python program where I want to allow members of a specific group the ability to kill it, and I'm not sure how to do it. I've been looking at the setuid() and setgid() and similar functions in the os module, but haven't been able to get them to work. I can't seem to change the uid or... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vastcharade
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to get a list of group members?

Is there a command to get a list of group members? Something similar to the groups command, but instead of passing a username and returning groups, you pass it a groupname, and it returns members? It is difficult to do it manually because the group membership information is split across two... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: akbar
5 Replies

6. AIX

How to allow group members to kill process?

Hey I'm writing a script that creates some processes,and some scripts which kill those processes. the question is Simply: How can I allow group members to be able to kill processes created by other member at the same group? I need your help as soon as possible Thanks for your help in... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: The Dark Knight
4 Replies

7. Linux

members in a group

Hi all, I am new to Linux.Can anyone tell me how to display or list all the members in a group? Thanks in advance. (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: arthi
9 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Setfacl and granting permissions to a group and its members on a directory

Hi! I created a group HACKERS and made the user "demo" its member. $ id demo uid=500(demo) gid=500(demo) groups=500(demo),502(HACKERS) $ Next, I granted read and execute permissions to the group "HACKERS" on /var/log/httpd as shown below: setfacl -m "g:HACKERS:r-x"... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: indiansoil
2 Replies
getent(1M)						  System Administration Commands						getent(1M)

NAME
getent - get entries from administrative database SYNOPSIS
getent database [key]... DESCRIPTION
getent gets a list of entries from the administrative database specified by database. The information generally comes from one or more of the sources that are specified for the database in /etc/nsswitch.conf. database is the name of the database to be examined. This can be passwd, group, hosts, ipnodes, services, protocols, ethers, project, net- works, or netmasks. For each of these databases, getent uses the appropriate library routines described in getpwnam(3C), getgrnam(3C), gethostbyaddr(3NSL), gethostbyname(3NSL), getipnodebyaddr(3SOCKET), getipnodebyname(3SOCKET), getservbyname(3SOCKET), getprotoby- name(3SOCKET), ethers(3SOCKET), getprojbyname(3PROJECT) and getnetbyname(3SOCKET), respectively. Each key must be in a format appropriate for searching on the respective database. For example, it can be a username or numeric-uid for passwd; hostname or IP address for hosts; or service, service/protocol, port, or port/proto for services. getent prints out the database entries that match each of the supplied keys, one per line, in the format of the matching administrative file: passwd(4), group(4), project(4), hosts(4), services(4), protocols(4), ethers(3SOCKET), networks(4), or netmasks(4). If no key is given, all entries returned by the corresponding enumeration library routine, for example, getpwent() or gethostent(), are printed. Enumer- ation is not supported on ipnodes. Key Interpretation for passwd and group Databases When getent is invoked with database set to passwd, each key value is processed as follows: o If the key value consists only of numeric characters, getent assumes that the key value is a numeric user ID and searches the user database for a matching user ID. o If the user ID is not found in the user database or if the key value contains any non-numeric characters, getent assumes the key value is a user name and searches the user database for a matching user name. Similarly, when getent is invoked with database set to group, each key value is processed as follows: o If the key value consists only of numeric characters, getent assumes that the key value is a numeric group ID and searches the group database for a matching group ID. o If the group ID is not found in the group database or if the key value contains any non-numeric characters, getent assumes the key value is a group name and searches the group database for a matching group name. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Successful completion. 1 Command syntax was incorrect, an invalid option was used, or an internal error occurred. 2 At least one of the specified entry names was not found in the database. 3 There is no support for enumeration on this database. FILES
/etc/nsswitch.conf name service switch configuration file /etc/passwd password file /etc/group group file /etc/inet/hosts IPv4 and IPv6 host name database /etc/services Internet services and aliases /etc/project project file /etc/protocols protocol name database /etc/ethers Ethernet address to hostname database or domain /etc/networks network name database /etc/netmasks network mask database ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
ethers(3SOCKET), getgrnam(3C), gethostbyaddr(3NSL), gethostbyname(3NSL), gethostent(3NSL), getipnodebyaddr(3SOCKET), getipnodeby- name(3SOCKET), getnetbyname(3SOCKET), getprojbyname(3PROJECT), getprotobyname(3SOCKET), getpwnam(3C), getservbyname(3SOCKET), group(4), hosts(4), netmasks(4), networks(4), nsswitch.conf(4), passwd(4), project(4), protocols(4), services(4), attributes(5) SunOS 5.11 26 Mar 2007 getent(1M)