Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris How to list group members in solaris 9 Post 302312361 by vr_mari on Friday 1st of May 2009 04:20:45 AM
Old 05-01-2009
Hi

My command is
getenv group other

the result is only

other::1:root

Note : i think the genent command is just fetch the string from the /etc/group file.But in the group fiile the last field "user list" only list the secondary users of the group.but i like to list the primary group of the users. please let me know any other way to list the group members

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

listing members of a unix group

I know there is a "groups" command to list the groups a user belongs to, but how about the opposite? Is there a standard command to find out which users belong to a particular group? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ovaska
2 Replies

2. Solaris

How do you list users in a solaris group

I need to list all users in a group. This is a large unix site running nis+. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: gillbates
6 Replies

3. Solaris

make issue when I add some members into a NIS group on solaris 9,please help !!

Hello Sir, I want to add some members into a group on NIS domain, but when I run "/usr/ccs/bin/make group" to update the group map it was failed :-( the error message is : problem storing develop... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lk74612
4 Replies

4. Programming

allowing members of a group to kill a process

I've written a python program where I want to allow members of a specific group the ability to kill it, and I'm not sure how to do it. I've been looking at the setuid() and setgid() and similar functions in the os module, but haven't been able to get them to work. I can't seem to change the uid or... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vastcharade
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to get a list of group members?

Is there a command to get a list of group members? Something similar to the groups command, but instead of passing a username and returning groups, you pass it a groupname, and it returns members? It is difficult to do it manually because the group membership information is split across two... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: akbar
5 Replies

6. AIX

How to allow group members to kill process?

Hey I'm writing a script that creates some processes,and some scripts which kill those processes. the question is Simply: How can I allow group members to be able to kill processes created by other member at the same group? I need your help as soon as possible Thanks for your help in... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: The Dark Knight
4 Replies

7. Linux

members in a group

Hi all, I am new to Linux.Can anyone tell me how to display or list all the members in a group? Thanks in advance. (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: arthi
9 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Setfacl and granting permissions to a group and its members on a directory

Hi! I created a group HACKERS and made the user "demo" its member. $ id demo uid=500(demo) gid=500(demo) groups=500(demo),502(HACKERS) $ Next, I granted read and execute permissions to the group "HACKERS" on /var/log/httpd as shown below: setfacl -m "g:HACKERS:r-x"... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: indiansoil
2 Replies
GROUP(5)						      BSD File Formats Manual							  GROUP(5)

NAME
group -- format of the group permissions file DESCRIPTION
The file </etc/group> consists of newline separated ASCII records, one per group, containing four colon ':' separated fields. These fields are as follows: group Name of the group. passwd Group's encrypted password. gid The group's decimal ID. member Group members. The group field is the group name used for granting file access to users who are members of the group. The gid field is the number associ- ated with the group name. They should both be unique across the system (and often across a group of systems) since they control file access. The passwd field is an optional encrypted password. This field is rarely used and an asterisk is normally placed in it rather than leaving it blank. The member field contains the names of users granted the privileges of group. The member names are separated by commas without spaces or newlines. A user is automatically in a group if that group was specified in their /etc/passwd entry and does not need to be added to that group in the /etc/group file. INTERACTION WITH DIRECTORY SERVICES
Processes generally find group records using one of the getgrent(3) family of functions. On Mac OS X, these functions interact with the DirectoryService(8) daemon, which reads the /etc/group file as well as searching other directory information services to determine groups and group membership. FILES
/etc/group SEE ALSO
passwd(1), setgroups(2), crypt(3), getgrent(3), initgroups(3), passwd(5), DirectoryService(8) BUGS
The passwd(1) command does not change the group passwords. HISTORY
A group file format appeared in Version 6 AT&T UNIX. Mac OS X July 18, 1995 Mac OS X