Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers 3 homework questions (thread closed) Post 302312095 by Neo on Thursday 30th of April 2009 10:47:53 AM
Old 04-30-2009
Read the rules.

No homework.

4 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

please help (closed homework thread)

I have these questions for my unix class that I can't figure out because I missed a couple of days. They are for a quiz we took last week so by answering the questions you are not bettering my grade or doing my homework. I just want to understand was the answers. My teacher is really bad at... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: djeung
1 Replies

2. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

my thread got closed

I had a thread open and now it says it's closed. I had a question still on the forum and about 15mins after I posted my most recent question on it the thread said "closed". Why did this happen? I didn't violate any forum rules. Is there a limit on how many postings you can have in a single thread?... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hpicracing
1 Replies

3. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Thread closed when learner has tried

I'm not so sure that this thread should have been closed. Though it was clearly homework the student was asking a specific question related to the assignment, but not the answer to the whole assignment. /www.unix.com/unix-dummies-questions-answers/107494-how-get-rid.html . IMHO The solution is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: methyl
1 Replies

4. Solaris

Interview questions [thread closed]

Hi all, i have found a set questions from the net, i thought it will be great to ask and share with you gurus. I have the questions and some answers (correct me, if i am wrong) for these set of questions. 1. What file do you modify to change the mail aliases (Provide the full path) ? Ans:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kingston
1 Replies
INSTALL(1)							   User Commands							INSTALL(1)

NAME
ginstall - copy files and set attributes SYNOPSIS
install [OPTION]... SOURCE DEST (1st format) install [OPTION]... SOURCE... DIRECTORY (2nd format) install -d [OPTION]... DIRECTORY... (3rd format) DESCRIPTION
In the first two formats, copy SOURCE to DEST or multiple SOURCE(s) to the existing DIRECTORY, while setting permission modes and owner/group. In the third format, create all components of the given DIRECTORY(ies). Mandatory arguments to long options are mandatory for short options too. --backup[=CONTROL] make a backup of each existing destination file -b like --backup but does not accept an argument -c (ignored) -C Install file, unless target already exists and is the same as the new file, in which case the modification time won't be changed. -d, --directory treat all arguments as directory names; create all components of the specified directories -D create all leading components of DEST except the last, then copy SOURCE to DEST; useful in the 1st format -g, --group=GROUP set group ownership, instead of process' current group -m, --mode=MODE set permission mode (as in chmod), instead of rwxr-xr-x -o, --owner=OWNER set ownership (super-user only) -p, --preserve-timestamps apply access/modification times of SOURCE files to corresponding destination files -s, --strip strip symbol tables, only for 1st and 2nd formats -S, --suffix=SUFFIX override the usual backup suffix -v, --verbose print the name of each directory as it is created --help display this help and exit --version output version information and exit The backup suffix is `~', unless set with --suffix or SIMPLE_BACKUP_SUFFIX. The version control method may be selected via the --backup option or through the VERSION_CONTROL environment variable. Here are the values: none, off never make backups (even if --backup is given) numbered, t make numbered backups existing, nil numbered if numbered backups exist, simple otherwise simple, never always make simple backups AUTHOR
Written by David MacKenzie. REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs to <bug-coreutils@gnu.org>. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2002 Free Software Foundation, Inc. This is free software; see the source for copying conditions. There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICU- LAR PURPOSE. SEE ALSO
The full documentation for install is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and install programs are properly installed at your site, the command info install should give you access to the complete manual. install (coreutils) 4.5.3 October 2002 INSTALL(1)