Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris correct usage of find's -prune option Post 302311751 by ProGrammar on Wednesday 29th of April 2009 12:22:16 PM
Old 04-29-2009
you're the man!

Pludi,

That was educating. Particularly when you underscored that find recognized the current working directory as a directory itself and pruned itself.

So comparing . (cwd) vs ./* (contents of current working directory) really drives the point home when you see the difference in results. I guess I thought the contents of the path specified was implied, but now I know better!

Awesome, thanks for squaring me away.Smilie

P3@cE!
This User Gave Thanks to ProGrammar For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

finding files using prune option

Hi All, I am trying to find files in a directory and don't want to search in the sub directories and using the command find . \( ! -name . -prune \) -mtime +1 -name '*.log' and is working fine. But when I am trying with absolute path then is not working like find /home/subodh \( ! -name... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: subodh.sharma
1 Replies

2. HP-UX

how can I find cpu usage memory usage swap usage and logical volume usage

how can I find cpu usage memory usage swap usage and I want to know CPU usage above X% and contiue Y times and memory usage above X % and contiue Y times my final destination is monitor process logical volume usage above X % and number of Logical voluage above can I not to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: alert0919
3 Replies

3. Linux

doubt in -prune option

i want to find only the file t4 in directory t3. i am in dir t . the tree is as follows. if i give, find . o/p is . ./t4 ./t1 ./t1/t2 ./t1/t2/t3 ./t1/t2/t3/t4 ./t1/t2/t4 ./t1/t4 directories are like t/t1/t2/t3 and each directory has file t4. my question is , i want to find file... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: bhuvaneshlal
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

help me out with find command , -prune option

Hi , Kindly help me out .:) i want to find only the file t4 in directory t3. i am in dir t . the tree is as follows. if i give, find . o/p is . ./t4 ./t1 ./t1/t2 ./t1/t2/t3 ./t1/t2/t3/t4 ./t1/t2/t4 ./t1/t4 directories are like t/t1/t2/t3 and each directory has file t4. my... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: bhuvaneshlal
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

find with prune option

Hi, I want to list files only from the current dir and its child dir (not from child's child dir). i have the following files, ./ABC/1.log ./ABC/2.log ./ABC/ABC1/A.log ./ABC/ABC1/B.log ./ABC/ABC1/XYZ/A1.log ./ABC/ABC1/XYZ/A2.log Here i want to list only the log file from current... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: apsprabhu
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

help with find command and prune option

Hi I have a directory say mydir and inside it there are many files and subdirectories and also a directory called lost+found owned by root user I want to print all files directories and subdirectorres from my directory using find command except lost+found If i do find . \( -name... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: xiamin
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

AIX find command using prune option

Hi, I am trying to find some files in a directory and then remove/list them if they are 30 days old. I also have 2 directories in that directory which I need to skip. Can someone please tell me what is the correct syntax? find /developer/. -name "lost+found" "projects" -prune -o -type f... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tkhan9
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

find with prune option help needed

Hello, I am using ksh93 (/usr/dt/bin/dtksh) on Solaris and am stuck when trying to use find with the -prune option. I need to search a directory (supplied in a variable) for files matching a certain pattern, but ignore any sub-directories. I have tried: find ${full_path_to_dir_to_search}... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: gary_w
9 Replies

9. Solaris

Usage of -prune and -name in find

I am into cd /home/work/amey/history-*/ Under amey I have directories history, history-1, history-2 and under history-2 I have got 2 files 3 and 2. When I run the find command I get the below o/p. find /home/work/amey/history-*/. -name . -o -prune -type f /home/work/amey/history-1/.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ameyrk
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Prune Option for Find Command on AIX

I need to delete all files from the working directory and its sub directories using the find command, for that I am using -prune option but some how I am having a syntax issue. I have tried the below, please help me correct the syntax find . -name \* -type f -exec rm -f {} \; >> Works but... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rosebud123
4 Replies
prune(1)						      General Commands Manual							  prune(1)

NAME
prune - Prune directed graphs SYNOPSIS
prune [ -n node ] [ -N attrspec ] [ files ... ] DESCRIPTION
prune reads directed graphs in the same format used by dot(1) and removes subgraphs rooted at nodes specified on the command line via options. These nodes themselves will not be removed, but can be given attributes so that they can be easily located by a graph stream edi- tor such as gvpr(1). prune correctly handles cycles, loops and multi-edges. Both options can appear multiple times on the command line. All subgraphs rooted at the respective nodes given will then be processed. If a node does not exist, prune will skip it and print a warning message to stderr. If multiple attributes are given, they will be applied to all nodes that have been processed. prune writes the result to the stdout. OPTIONS
-n name Specifies name of node to prune. -N attrspec Specifies attribute that will be set (or changed if it exists) for any pruned node. attrspec is a string of the form attr=value. EXAMPLES
An input graph test.dot of the form digraph DG { A -> B; A -> C; B -> D; B -> E; } , processed by the command prune -n B test.dot would produce the following output (the actual code might be formatted in a slightly different way). digraph DG { A -> B; A -> C; } Another input graph test.dot of the form digraph DG { A -> B; A -> C; B -> D; B -> E; C -> E; } (note the additional edge from C to E ), processed by the command prune -n B -N color=red test.dot results in digraph DG { B [color=red]; A -> B; A -> C; C -> E; } Node E has not been removed since its second parent C is not being pruned. EXIT STATUS
prune returns 0 on successful completion. It returns 1 if an error occurs. SEE ALSO
dot(1), gvpr(1) AUTHOR
Marcus Harnisch <marcus.harnisch@gmx.net> prune(1)