Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting help needed with creating challenging bash script with creating directories Post 302311258 by cfajohnson on Tuesday 28th of April 2009 09:50:44 AM
Old 04-28-2009

Code:
n=1
while [ $n -le $1 ]
do
  dir=map_$n
  mkdir "$dir" && cd "$dir" || exit 1
  n=$(( $n + 1 ))
done

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash and Awk for creating directories and moving files

I have a security system that FTPs the camera files to my machine, however I want to sort the pictures (taken every 30s) into directories by hour. Every picture uses the following file format. yymmddhhmmsstt.jpg (where tt is the milliseconds) I am thinking the for loop is best for file... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kiint
11 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help Needed with Creating Script

Hi all, I need your help in creating a script. At the moment, we run a daily procedure incorporating the following commands, which we would like within a script using the bash shell. cd /var/adm/Syslog tail -1 /var/adm/messages grep "`date '+%b %e'`" /var/adm/messages > syslog.`date... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: wthomas
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

creating multiple sub-/directories using a shell script

0 Hi, I am looking for a way of creating multiple directories using the mkdir -p command in a shell script. I'm working with an Ubuntu machine and try to do something like that: #!/bin/sh ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: frymor
3 Replies

4. Programming

Creating a bash script that create/open database

Hi. I have two text files(tables) which include some information and I want to make some query codes using them. First of all, I want to create bash script that read this two tables, create/open database and insert data from files into database. #!/bin/bash while read line; do ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rlaxodus
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script in bash wchich creating a new users...

Hi, I am a new on this forum but i like :) I need a script in bash which will be crating a new user with folder for websites. For example: I will run this program and he creating a new user(with my name) and folder whcich name like user and if i will localho/~user in browser, she show me files from... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: puclavv
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Creating an Interactive Bash Script to Analyze a PCAP

Hello Everyone, I am currently trying to write a Bash Script to call a PCAP file. The command I will use in the script will be the following: tshark -r test.pcap -T fields -e frame.number -e frame.time -e eth.src -e eth.dst -e ip.src -e ip.dst -r ip.proto -E header=y -E separator=, quote=d -E... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: MrTuxor
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Archiving and moving files into directories, creating directories, etc.

how can i move "dataName".sql.gz into a folder called 'database' and then move "$fileName".tar.gz * .htaccess into a folder called 'www' with the entire gzipped file being "$fileName".tar.gz? Is this doable or overly complex. so mydemo--2015-03-23-1500.tar.gz > database -... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: wyclef
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need BASH Script Help to Move Files While Creating Directories

I've got this script to loop through all folders and move files that are more than 2 years old. I'm using the install command because it creates the necessary directories on the destination path and then I remove the source. I'd like to change the script to use the mv command since it is much... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: consultant
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Creating a condition on a bash script

I wrote a code to find codons in a DNA string. The only problem I have is how do I make the code only work for a file with DNA. This means the file only has the characters a,c,g,t and no white space characters. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: germany1517
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Creating bash script to process a data file based on the menu

Hey, im fairly new to unix and Im trying to make this unix project that would display a menu and do the following. MENU =========================== (p, P) Print users info (a, A) Add new user (s, S) Search user (d, D) Delete user (x,X) Exit Enter your choice: Trying to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ultimaxtrd
3 Replies
mvdir(1M)																 mvdir(1M)

NAME
mvdir - move a directory SYNOPSIS
dir newdir DESCRIPTION
moves one directory tree into another existing directory (within the same file system), or renames a directory without moving it. dir must be an existing directory. If newdir does not exist but the directory that would contain it does, dir is moved and/or renamed to newdir. Otherwise, newdir must be an existing directory not already containing an entry with the same name as the last pathname component of dir. In this case, dir is moved and becomes a subdirectory of newdir. The last pathname component of dir is used as the name for the moved directory. refuses to move dir if the path specified by newdir would be a descendent directory of the path specified by dir. Such cases are not allowed because cyclic sub-trees would be created as in the case, for example, of which is prohibited. does not allow directory to be moved. Only users who have appropriate privileges can use EXTERNAL INFLUENCES
International Code Set Support Single- and multi-byte character code sets are supported. AUTHOR
was developed by OSF and HP. SEE ALSO
cp(1), mkdir(1), mv(1). STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
mvdir(1M)