Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Performance issue in UNIX while generating .dat file from large text file Post 302309341 by KRAMA on Tuesday 21st of April 2009 04:43:30 PM
Old 04-21-2009
Hi John,

Please find the answers as below:

Please describe exactly what the script needs to do.
This script splits the data from Detail files (i.e which are the input files for the shell script in .txt format) . In this case the detal file located at ${m_recv_dir}/${m_glb_d92_nm}${m_glb_file_seq} . which is the starting portion of the code which i posted.

This script reads the data line by line from the text file and prepare output .DAT file.

Once the .DAT file is created it puts '*/' end of file character at the bottom of the output file generated. Once the .DAT output file is generated another shell script loads data from this .DAT files to work tables of the database using SQL Loader.

What files does it use for input? What is the format of those files?

The format of the input file is .txt

What is the format of the output?

The output format is .DAT

Please do let me know what else information you need so you can help me on this..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix File System performance with large directories

Hi, how does the Unix File System perform with large directories (containing ~30.000 files)? What kind of structure is used for the organization of a directory's content, linear lists, (binary) trees? I hope the description 'Unix File System' is exact enough, I don't know more about the file... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dive
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to attach an excel file/ dat file thru unix mails

Hi. I want to attach a .xls or .dat file while sending mail thru unix. I have come across diff attachments sending options, but allthose embeds the content in the mail. I want the attachement to be send as such. Please help me out. regards Diwakar (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: diwakar82
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to read from a .dat file in Unix

Hi All, I have a .dat file named test.dat where I have stored some process IDs. Now I need to pick a process ID, one by one and then fire kill -9 for each of those. The logic should be: 1. open file <filename.dat> 2. read until last line of file 3. if process ID is found fire kill -9... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sibasish
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How do I delete a data string from a .dat file in unix

I have a .dat file in unix and it keeps failing file validation on line x. How do I delete a data string from a .dat file in UNIX? I tried the following: sed -e 'data string' -e file name and it telling me unrecognized command (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: supergirl3954
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Severe performance issue while 'grep'ing on large volume of data

Background ------------- The Unix flavor can be any amongst Solaris, AIX, HP-UX and Linux. I have below 2 flat files. File-1 ------ Contains 50,000 rows with 2 fields in each row, separated by pipe. Row structure is like Object_Id|Object_Name, as following: 111|XXX 222|YYY 333|ZZZ ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Souvik
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove <CR><LF> from the dat file in unix

Hi, The source system has created the file in the dat format and put into the linux directory as mentioned below. I want to do foloowing things. a) Delete the Line started with <CR><LF> in the record b)Also line ...........................................................<CR><LF> ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mr_harish80
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Performance issue in Grepping large files

I have around 300 files(*.rdf,*.fmb,*.pll,*.ctl,*.sh,*.sql,*.prog) which are of large size. Around 8000 keywords(which will be in the file $keywordfile) needed to be searched inside those files. If a keyword is found in a file..I have to insert the filename,extension,catagoery,keyword,occurrence... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: millan
8 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Generating a CSV file from a text file

Hi Guys, I have a simple request. I have a file in w3c format. Each file has 2 header lines. Rest of the lines are 16 columns each. They are separated by Tab. I need to discard the first 2 lines and then write each column of the txt file into a seperate column of CSV. I tried the command below... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tinkugadu
1 Replies

9. Answers to Frequently Asked Questions

How to split a dat file based on another file ni UNIX?

i have two files , one is var.txt and another res.dat file var.txt contains informaton like below date,request,sales,item 20171015,1,123456,216 20171015,1,123456,217 20171015,2,345678,214 20171015,3,456789,218 and res.dat contains is a one huge file contains information like... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pogo
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Generating xml file from UNIX

i have a unix script which generates the csv file. the data in csv file is dynamic. how can i convert/move the data from csv file to xml. please suggest (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: archana25
1 Replies
IGAWK(1)							 Utility Commands							  IGAWK(1)

NAME
igawk - gawk with include files SYNOPSIS
igawk [ all gawk options ] -f program-file [ -- ] file ... igawk [ all gawk options ] [ -- ] program-text file ... DESCRIPTION
Igawk is a simple shell script that adds the ability to have ``include files'' to gawk(1). AWK programs for igawk are the same as for gawk, except that, in addition, you may have lines like @include getopt.awk in your program to include the file getopt.awk from either the current directory or one of the other directories in the search path. OPTIONS
See gawk(1) for a full description of the AWK language and the options that gawk supports. EXAMPLES
cat << EOF > test.awk @include getopt.awk BEGIN { while (getopt(ARGC, ARGV, "am:q") != -1) ... } EOF igawk -f test.awk SEE ALSO
gawk(1) Effective AWK Programming, Edition 1.0, published by the Free Software Foundation, 1995. AUTHOR
Arnold Robbins (arnold@skeeve.com). Free Software Foundation Nov 3 1999 IGAWK(1)