Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: problems using sed
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting problems using sed Post 302309296 by lassimanji on Tuesday 21st of April 2009 02:22:04 PM
Old 04-21-2009
problems using sed

i have a file acc.sh which has about 10 lines and then i have defined $var which has a line number in it (say 5). i want to extarct from line 5 to the end of the file and put the output into another file. I have used
sed -n $var,'$p' acc.sh | tee abc.sh
but at times it does'nt work and gives an error like
sed: -e expression #1, char 1: unknown command: `,'
can you help me with this.
thanks

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sed file problems

when i am running a sed command i want to get rid of all of the backslashes in the lin but it is taking this as being a command how do i delete backslashes????? sed -e "s/\/g" Anyn ideas????????? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: johnnynolegs
7 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problems with sed

Hi, I'm trying to use the sed command but I'm not sure how to use it properly. I've read the man pages for the sed command but I'm still unsure on how to use it. Basically I have a file with the words male and female written multiple times. I want to swap the word male for female and... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tugade
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problems with SED

I have a group of xml files and I need to insert 3 parameters just after this line in each file: ---------------Pattern to be searched for------------------------- <!--The following configuration is a test configuration--> ---------------Parameters to be added---------------------------... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: collern2
11 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Having problems with sed: can't replace $1

At the moment, I'm trying to do the following: 1. Have sed read the first line of a file Example (file1.x): 5 2. Replace that first line with a new first line, which would read 5=newvariable 3. Have that information placed into file2.y Unfortunately, I'm having a problem. Sed... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Agent-X
5 Replies

5. Solaris

Sed problems on Solaris 10

Hi, The config file: # Port(s) for accepting client connections RTSPPort=554 bash-3.00# awk -F"=" -v gr="888" '/RTSPPort/{$2=gr;}1' OFS="=" server.ini awk: syntax error near line 1 awk: bailing out near line 1 Can you help me on why this doesn't work. The next one neighter. Dosn't... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: potro
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

2 problems... sed and sort

Hi everyone! I have a file like that: And I would it like that: I don't know how to keep the first field and sort the second one. I have a second question with sed... to put the variable $VAR at the beginning of the file... But I have an output like this: snork... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Castelior
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

problems with sed

$ echo "a,0,0,0,b,0" | sed 's/,0,/,1,/g' gives output as $ a,1,0,1,b,0 rather than as a,1,1,1,b,0 how can i solve this problem Thanks a lot in advance.... Use code tags. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: manishma71
4 Replies

8. Homework & Coursework Questions

Execution Problems with sed

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: Okay so I am taking bash scripting this semester and we are now working on the stream editor sed. For our book we... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: aggie6970
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Execution problems with sed

Hi,I confused how to use sed to deal with big file. example: the big file have some different urls just with filename. how can i use sed to fetch url except file name and replace to other urls with filename? thanks!!! (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: hshzh359
11 Replies

10. HP-UX

sed help with underscore problems

Hello, I have spent a couple of hours trying to answer this myself, so forgive me if the answer is simple but I have tried. I have a text file generated from svn log output which contains a list of files. Two regexps im using are * and * They both work but some lines has a mixture... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: YogaBija
7 Replies
UNSHAR(1)						      General Commands Manual							 UNSHAR(1)

NAME
unshar - unpack a shar file SYNOPSIS
unshar [ options ] [ file ... ] DESCRIPTION
Unshar scans mail messages looking for the start of a shell archive. It then passes the archive through a copy of the shell to unpack it. It will accept multiple files. If no files are given, standard input is used. OPTIONS
Options have a one letter version starting with - or a long version starting with --. The exception is --help and --version, which does not have a short version. --version Print the version number of the program on standard output, then immediately exits. --help Print a help summary on standard output, then immediately exits. -d DIRECTORY --directory=DIRECTORY Change directory to DIRECTORY before unpacking any files. -c --overwrite Passed as an option to the shar file. Many shell archive scripts (including those produced by `shar' 3.40 and newer) accepts a -c argument to indicate that existing files should be overwritten. -e --exit-0 This option exists mainly for people who collect many shell archives into a single mail folder. With this option, `unshar' isolates each different shell archive from the others which have been put in the same file, unpacking each in turn, from the beginning of the file towards its end. Its proper operation relies on the fact that many shar files are terminated by a `exit 0' at the beginning of a line. Option -e is internally equivalent to -E "exit 0". -E STRING --split-at=STRING This option works like -e, but it allows you to specify the string that separates archives if `exit 0' isn't appropriate. For example, noticing that most `.signatures' have a `--' on a line right before them, one can sometimes use `--split-at=--' for splitting shell archives which lack the `exit 0' line at end. The signature will then be skipped altogether with the headers of the following message. -f --force The same as -c. SEE ALSO
shar(1) DIAGNOSTICS
Any message from the shell may be displayed. AUTHORS
The shar and unshar programs is the collective work of many authors. Many people contributed by reporting problems, suggesting various improvements or submitting actual code. A list of these people is in the THANKS file in the sharutils distribution. REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs to <bug-gnu-utils@gnu.org>. Please put sharutils in the subject line. It helps to spot the message. September 10, 1995 UNSHAR(1)