Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris ( VxVM ) How to add the removed disk back to previous disk group Post 302308424 by incredible on Saturday 18th of April 2009 07:53:49 AM
Old 04-18-2009
plug in the new disk.
devfsadm -C
make sure format can see the added disk
vxdctl enable
use vxdiskadm ---> option 4 to confirm that the disk was removed.
----option 5, to attach the new disk to the disk group

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

VxVM disk/lun grow

hi, i have a volume on a LUN of an EMC-storage and i need to increase the size. i could increase the size of the LUN on the EMC, i could increase the size of the disk for solaris, but how can i tell the veritas volume manager that the disk is larger now? what i've done: 1. LUN on EMC 2.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pressy
3 Replies

2. Solaris

How to add disk into Striped Volume VxVM

VxVM: How to add one more disk into v08 the stripe should change from 7/128 to 8/128 v v08 - ENABLED ACTIVE 8954292224 SELECT v08-01 fsgen pl v08-01 v08 ENABLED ACTIVE 8954292480 STRIPE 7/128 RW sd bkpdg35-01 v08-01 bkpdg35 17216 ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: geoffry
0 Replies

3. Solaris

Migrate VxVM boot disks to higher capacity disk

Hi, Im getting a downtime of 4 hrs to do porting of bootdisks. Currently, the system is running on Sf4800. 2 internal disk 36G connected to a SE3510 storage. We're getting 72G disks and we want to restore the OS from the current 36G to the 72G disk. System is under veritas volume manager ctrl.... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: incredible
4 Replies

4. Solaris

vxvm root disk booting problem - solved with boot -a. How?

Hi All, We had a Sun Netra T1 go down the other day, the root disk was mirrored using vxvm. Upon boot from either disk, we had the following error appear: WARNING: Error writing ufs log state WARNING: ufs log for / changed state to Error WARNING: Please umount(1M) / and run... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: badoshi
4 Replies

5. Solaris

Disk Storage Need to Add more Disk

Hi, Anyone can help me, just want to confirm, if possible adding a disk storage that we have a RAWDATA with +ASM in our database. If possible, what would you recommend "workaround used" from us to do and the preparation. And also how long the downtime will take. Our disk continuous to grow,... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: fpalero
0 Replies

6. Solaris

Unable to add disk to VG group.

Hi, I am new to solaris administration. I have scan the new EMC SAN disk. I am able to see the disk when i run the powermt display dev=all command o/p. I want to format the disk and add file system to that disk. Can have formated the disk. and this the o/p of my format bash-3.00# prtvtoc... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jpkumar10
3 Replies

7. Solaris

Unable to boot from mirror disk on x86 server configured under VxVM

Hi, Can you help me on booting x86 server configured under VxVM. Server boots fine normally from both the disks but if I try to boot server from mirror disk without starting veritas, then it does not boot. vxplex -g rootdg dis var-02 vxplex -g rootdg dis swapvol-02 vxplex -g rootdg dis... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: milindphanse604
2 Replies

8. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

VxVM not able to see new disk

I have VxVM 5.1 running on Solaris-10. I have to increase a application file-system and storage team gave me a lun. After scanning scsi port by cfgadm, I can see them in format output. I labelled it, but I am not able to see them in "vxdisk list". I already tried commands --> vxdctl enable... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: solaris_1977
4 Replies

9. HP-UX

Removing a VxVM disk from a Disk Group

Hello all, So I made a rookie mistake today. I forgot to remove my disk from my disk group, before running the following command:for i in `ioscan -fnN | awk /NO/'{print $3}'` do rmsf -H $i done I am trying to run the following command, but not having any luck obviously:vxdg -g dgvol1 rmdisk... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrkejames2
0 Replies

10. Solaris

How to clear a removed single-disk pool from being listed by zpool import?

On an OmniOS server, I removed a single-disk pool I was using for testing. Now, when I run zpool import it will show it as FAULTED, since that single disk not available anymore. # zpool import pool: fido id: 7452075738474086658 state: FAULTED status: The pool was last... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: priyadarshan
11 Replies
dgcfgrestore(1M)														  dgcfgrestore(1M)

NAME
dgcfgrestore - display or restore VxVM disk group configuration from backup file SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/dgcfgrestore -n dg_name -l /usr/sbin/dgcfgrestore -n dg_name [ -o old_dm_name ] dm_name /usr/sbin/dgcfgrestore -f dg_conf_path -l /usr/sbin/dgcfgrestore -f dg_conf_path [ -o old_dm_name ] dm_name DESCRIPTION
The dgcfgrestore command may be used to restore configuration data to the only disk in a single-disk disk group, or to a disk in a multi- disk disk group in which all other disks do not have a configuration data copy. dgcfgrestore is designed not to work if the disk being restored belongs to a multi-disk disk group and at least one of the other disks in the group is online and contains configuration data. In such cases, adding the new disk to the disk group causes the configuration data to be copied to the new disk. dgcfgrestore fails if the disk group to which the disk is being restored does not exist. The dgcfgrestore command restores the VxVM configuration data from a default (-n option) or alternate (-f option) configuration backup file to the physical disk named by dm_name. If the -l option is specified, dgcfgrestore displays the configuration data on the standard output. The -o option allows the configuration stored for one disk device, old_dm_name, to be copied to another disk device, dm_name. Options and Arguments dm_name Specified the basename of a disk device (such as c0t4d0). If the -o option is not specified, dm_name must specify the basename of a disk device whose configuration is stored in the con- figuration backup file. -f dg_conf_path Obtains configuration information from the alternate configuration backup file specied by dg_conf_path. -l Lists configuration information saved in the specified configuration backup file. -n dg_name Obtains configuration information from the default configuration backup file, /etc/vxvmconf/dg_name.conf, where dg_name is the name of the disk group. -o old_dm_name Restores the configuration information saved for disk device, old_dm_name to disk device, dm_name. old_dm_name must be the basename of a disk device whose VxVM configuration is stored in the configuration backup file. dm_name must be the basename of a disk device that has already been initialized to the disk group to which the disk being restored belonged. Note: Its configuration need not be stored in the configuration backup file. EXIT CODES
dgcfgrestore exits with a zero status on successful completion. An non-zero exit status indicates that errors occurred during the restore operation. EXAMPLES
Restore the VxVM configuration information for the VxVM disk disk01 on the replacement disk device c0t7d0 that was part of the single-disk disk group onediskdg using the default configuration file /etc/vxvmconf/dg00.conf: ##Initialize replaced disk device c0t7d0 for use by VxVM # /etc/vx/bin/vxdisketup -i c0t7d0 ##Create disk group using this disk # vxdg init onediskdg disk01=c0t7d0 ## Restore configuration data # dgcfgrestore -n onediskdg c0t7d0 # vxprint -g onediskdg -ht DG NAME NCONFIG NLOG MINORS GROUP-ID DM NAME DEVICE TYPE PRIVLEN PUBLEN STATE V NAME USETYPE KSTATE STATE LENGTH READPOL PREFPLEX PL NAME VOLUME KSTATE STATE LENGTH LAYOUT NCOL/WID MODE SD NAME PLEX DISK DISKOFFS LENGTH [COL/]OFF DEVICE MODE SV NAME PLEX VOLNAME NVOLLAYR LENGTH [COL/]OFF AM/NM MODE dg onedisk default default 7928000 944849696.3237.veritas9 dm disk01 c8t0d0 simple 1024 8885610 - v volume1 fsgen DISABLED EMPTY 10240 SELECT - pl volume1-01 volume1 DISABLED EMPTY 10240 CONCAT - RW sd disk01-01 volume1-01 disk01 0 10240 0 c8t0d0 ENA It is now necessary to start the volumes. For a simple volume (neither RAID-5 nor mirrored), simply start the volume: vxvol -g onediskdg start vol01 Although not recommended, it is possible to initialize disks that do not contain configuration data. Having redundant copies of configura- tion data on disks in a disk group avoids the need for the following procedure. The next example shows how restore the VxVM configuration information for the VxVM disk, disk01 on the replacement disk device, c0t4d0. This was the only disk with configuration data in the two-disk disk group, dgnocfg. The other disk in the disk group, disk02 on c0t5d0, does not contain configuration data. The example uses the alternate configuration file /tmp/dgnocfg.backup. ## Initialize replaced disk device c0t4d0 for use by VxVM # /etc/vxvm/bin/vxdisksetup -i c0t4d0 ## Create disk group using this disk # vxdg init dgnocfg disk01=c0t4d0 ## Reinitialize c0t5d0 to match new instance of dgnocfg # /etc/vxvm/bin/vxdiskunsetup -C c0t5d0 # /etc/vxvm/bin/vxdisksetup -i c0t5d0 noconfig # vxdg -g dgnocfg adddisk disk02=c0t5d0 ## Restore configuration data #d gcfgrestore -f /tmp/dgnocfg.backup c0t4d0 # vxprint -g dgnocfg -ht DG NAME NCONFIG NLOG MINORS GROUP-ID DM NAME DEVICE TYPE PRIVLEN PUBLEN STATE V NAME USETYPE KSTATE STATE LENGTH READPOL PREFPLEX PL NAME VOLUME KSTATE STATE LENGTH LAYOUT NCOL/WID MODE SD NAME PLEX DISK DISKOFFS LENGTH [COL/]OFF DEVICE MODE SV NAME PLEX VOLNAME NVOLLAYR LENGTH [COL/]OFF AM/NM MODE dg dgnocfg default default 5035000 945182942.3700.veritas9 dm disk01 c0t4d0 simple 1024 8885610 - dm disk02 c0t5d0 simple 1024 8885610 - v mirvol01 fsgen DISABLED EMPTY 10240 SELECT - pl mirvol01-01 mirvol01 DISABLED EMPTY 10240 CONCAT - RW sd disk01-01 mirvol01-01 disk01 0 10240 0 c0t4d0 ENA pl mirvol01-02 mirvol01 DISABLED EMPTY 10240 CONCAT - RW sd disk02-01 mirvol01-02 disk02 0 10240 0 c0t5d0 ENA For a mirrored volume, we want to use the good plex on the disk that was not replaced (disk02) to resynchronize the other one. To do so, we take the replaced plex offline, start the volume and place the remaining plex online. vxmend -g dgnocfg off mirvol01-01 vxvol -g dgnocfg start mirvol01 vxmend -g dgnocfg on mirvol01-01 The next example lists backup information saved in default configuration file /etc/vxvmconf/dgnocfg.conf: dgcfgrestore -n twodiskdg -l This command displays output such as the following: Disk Group Configuration information in "/etc/vxvmconf/twodiskdg.conf" DG Name twodiskdg ---- Physical disks : 2 ---- /dev/rdsk/c0t4d0 /dev/rdsk/c0t5d0 The final example restores the VxVM configuration information for the VxVM disk, disk01 for failed disk device c0t2d0, which was part of a single-disk disk group, foodg, to disk, c0t3d0. The default configuration file, /etc/vxvmconf/foodg.conf is used. # Initialize c0t3d0 for use by VxVM /etc/vx/bin/vxdisketup -i c0t3d0 # Create disk group using this disk vxdg init onediskdg disk01=c0t3d0 # Restore configuration data dgcfgrestore -n foodg -o c0t3d0 c0t2d0 AUTHOR
dgcfgrestore was developed by the Hewlett-Packard Company. SEE ALSO
dgcfgbackup(1M), vxdg(1M) VxVM 5.0.31.1 24 Mar 2008 dgcfgrestore(1M)