Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting convert ascii values into ascii characters Post 302308421 by sandeeppvk on Saturday 18th of April 2009 07:42:27 AM
Old 04-18-2009
convert ascii values into ascii characters

Hi gurus,

I have a file in unix with ascii values. I need to convert all the ascii values in the file to ascii characters. File contains nearly 20000 records with ascii values.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Convert ASCII to BINARY

Here is what I did . . . . I FTP'd several *.pdf files from a web site to a UNIX server, and did not set the transfer mode to BIN, now Adobe thinks that the documents are corrupted. Is there a way to convert the *.pdf files to Binary so that Adobe can open them again. I would just re-download... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pc9456
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

convert hex to ascii text

Is there a command to convert hex characters into their respective ascii values? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dangral
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Need to convert Binary files to ascii

Dear Experts I need to read a binary file. I know for example in byte number 3801-3804 there is a 4 byte number embeded. Is there a way to extract this number from this file and then convert it to ascii via unix?? Your help would be highly appreciated. Very Best Regards Reza (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Reza Nazarian
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Converting Binary decimal coded values to Ascii Values

Hi All, Is there any command which can convert binary decimal coded values to ascii values... i have bcd values like below 0-- -v - Pls suggest a way to convert this. Thanks, Deepti.Gaur (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gaur.deepti
3 Replies

5. Programming

To convert UHF-8 to ASCII using C++

Hi, I have two strings aaa, bbb which contains text in UTF-8 format. I am using Solaris OS. zsh shell, emacs editor. In the shell the text are represented like "fff'''(((#ip##iii^q##1..... Example: aaa="fff'''(((#ip##iii^q##1".. I need to compare the two strings, I feel that text in this... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: SamRoj
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

convert file to ascii

I have a file in below format(ISO ) and to be convert to readable (.txt/Ascii) format .send me the commands/code please sample as follows 2043010101167157001190002010011120000000002144300000000000000000000 01022_ - %rE@ U...ug  47 56   d %rE@ 01022_ - $5 fy ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nalakaatslt
1 Replies

7. Red Hat

Can't convert 7bit ASCII to UTF-8

Hello, I am trying to convert a 7bit ASCII file to UTF-8. I have used iconv before though it can't recognize it for some reason and says unknown file encoding. When I used ascii2uni package with different package, ./ascii2uni -a K -a I -a J -a X test_file > new_test_file It still... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rockf1bull
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Convert ascii character values to number that comes between the numbers in UNIX

I have variable that contains multiple values of number and also include overpunch(i.e. # $ % etc) character so we want to replace it with numbers. here are the example: Code: 11500#.0# 28575$.5$ 527#.7# 42".2" 2794 .4 2279!.9! 1067&.7& 926#.6# 2279!.9! 885".5" 11714$.4$ 27361'.1'... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nadeemrafikhan
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert UTF-8 file to ASCII/ISO8859-1 OR replace characters

I am trying to develop a script which will work on a source UTF-8 file and perform one or more of the following It will accept the target encoding as an argument e.g. US-ASCII or ISO-8859-1, etc 1. It should replace all occurrences of characters outside target character set by " " (space) or... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hemkiran.s
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert Hex to Ascii in a Ascii file

Hi All, I have an ascii file in which few columns are having hex values which i need to convert into ascii. Kindly suggest me what command can be used in unix shell scripting? Thanks in Advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: HemaV
2 Replies
WZIP(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   WZIP(1)

NAME
wzip - lossy data compression and denoising SYNOPSIS
wzip [ -c | -d | -dn | -hdn ] num sf DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents the wzip command. wzip is a program that can be used for LOSSY data compression and denoising. It reads from STDIN and writes to STDOUT. In compression mode the input is a sequence of ascii floating-point values. num is the number of these data values. The output is a sequence of small inte- gers, most of them zero in typical application. This is ready for effective compression with a standard loss-less compression program like gzip. The program can also be used for denoising. In this case both input and output are sequences of ascii floating-point values. The scale factor sf determines the strength of compression or denoising. A higher scale factor means heavier compression and stronger denoising. Four times the standard deviation of the noise content is a good start. Otherwise 5 percent of the overall signal amplitude might be used as a first estimation of a suitable scale factor. If the noise content of the input data is strongly non-Gaussian-distributed, like Poisson noise. The input data should be transformed to approximate Gaussian-distributed noise. If the input values are Poisson-distributed, that means for example raw counts per channel in EDX or XPD, they can be transformed to approximate Gaussian-distributed noise by transformation of each data point with y:=2.0*sqrt(x+0.25109). Back transformation is done with y:=(x/2)^2. The summand 0.25109 compensates for the bias caused by the asymmetry of the Poisson-distribu- tion. Invoking the program without any options writes examples of the use of the program to STDERR. OPTIONS
There must be given exactly one option. -c Compression, reads num ascii floating-point values from STDIN and writes a sequence of integers with high redundancy to STDOUT. -d Decompression, reads from STDIN and writes a sequence of num ascii floating-point values to STDOUT. These are more or less similar to the original data. -dn Denoising, reads num ascii floating-point values from STDIN and writes a sequence of num ascii floating-point values to STDOUT. These are more or less similar to the original data. -hdn Denoising with hard thresholding instead of wavelet shrinkage. Single untouched noise peaks may be visible with this mode. On the other hand, there is much less impact on the signal slope. SEE ALSO
Donoho, D.L.; Johnstone, I.M.: Adapting to unknown smoothness via wavelet shrinkage, technical report 425, Department of Statistics, Stan- ford University, Stanford, June 1993, ftp://playfair.stanford.edu/pub/donoho/ausws.ps.Z Franzen, A.: Compression of process data with a wavelet method, steel res. 69 (1998), No. 1, pp. 28/30 Franzen, A.: Non-linear denoising with wavelet transformation, Z. Metallkd. 89 (1998), No. 4, pp. 297/302 AUTHOR
This manual page was written by Andreas Franzen <anfra@debian.org>, for the Debian GNU/Linux system (but may be used by others). Copyright (C) 1997 Andreas Franzen, placed under the GNU General Public License, see the file copyright for details. 24 December 1997 WZIP(1)