Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Extract multiple repeated data from a text file Post 302306583 by Franklin52 on Monday 13th of April 2009 08:21:00 AM
Old 04-13-2009
Try this:

Code:
awk '/^ST/{++i}{print > "file" i}' textfile

Regards

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to extract data from a text file

Hello All, Is there an easy way to extract data from a text file? The text file is actually a dump of a 2 page report with 6 columns and 122 lines. Example is Report Tile Type Product 1 Product 2 Product 3 Product 4... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: negixx
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete repeated word in text file

Hi expert, I am using C shell. And i trying to delete repeated word. Example file.txt: BLUE YELLOW RED VIOLET RED RED BLUE WHITE YELLOW BLACK and i wan store the output into a new file: BLUE (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: vincyoxy
6 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help please, extract multiple lines from a text file

Hi all, I need to extract lines between the lines 'RD' and 'QA' from a text file (following). there are more that one of such pattern in the file and I need to extract all of them. however, the number of lines between them is varied in the file. Therefore, I can not just use 'grep -A' command.... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: johnshembb
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

AWK, extract data from multiple files

Hi, I'm using AWK to try to extract data from multiple files (*.txt). The script should look for a flag that occurs at a specific position in each file and it should return the data to the right of that flag. I should end up with one line for each file, each containing 3 columns:... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Liverpaul09
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find repeated string in a text file

I have a text file where I need to find the string = ST*850* This string is repetaed several times in the file, so I need to know how many times it appears in the file, this is the text files: ISA*00* *00* *08*925485USNR *ZZ*IMSALADDERSP... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: cucosss
13 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

regular expression with shell script to extract data out of a text file

hi i am trying to extract some specific data out of a text file using regular expressions with shell script that is using a multiline grep .. and the tool i am using is pcregrep so that i can get compatibility with perl's regular expressions for a sample data like this, i am trying to grab... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: vemkiran
6 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Extract common data out of multiple files

I am trying to extract common list of Organisms from different files For example I took 3 files and showed expected result. In real I have more than 1000 files. I am aware about the useful use of awk and grep but unaware in depth so need guidance regarding it. I want to use awk/ grep/ cut/... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: macmath
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract data in tabular format from multiple files

Hi, I have directory with multiple files from which i need to extract portion of specif lines and insert it in a new file, the new file will contain a separate columns for each file data. Example: I need to extract Value_1 & Value_3 from all files and insert in output file as below: ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: belalr
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk used to extract data between text

Hello all, I have a file (filename.txt) with some data (in two columns X and Y) which looks like this: ########## 'Header1' 'Sub-header1' X Y xxxx.xx yyyy.yyy xxxx.xx yyyy.yyy .... ... 'Sub-header2' X Y xxxx.xx ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jaldo0805
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Shell - Read a text file with two words and extract data

hi I made this simple script to extract data and pretty much is a list and would like to extract data of two words separated by commas and I would like to make a new text file that would list these extracted data into a list and each in a new line. Example that worked for me with text file... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dandaryll
5 Replies
IGAWK(1)							 Utility Commands							  IGAWK(1)

NAME
igawk - gawk with include files SYNOPSIS
igawk [ all gawk options ] -f program-file [ -- ] file ... igawk [ all gawk options ] [ -- ] program-text file ... DESCRIPTION
Igawk is a simple shell script that adds the ability to have ``include files'' to gawk(1). AWK programs for igawk are the same as for gawk, except that, in addition, you may have lines like @include getopt.awk in your program to include the file getopt.awk from either the current directory or one of the other directories in the search path. OPTIONS
See gawk(1) for a full description of the AWK language and the options that gawk supports. EXAMPLES
cat << EOF > test.awk @include getopt.awk BEGIN { while (getopt(ARGC, ARGV, "am:q") != -1) ... } EOF igawk -f test.awk SEE ALSO
gawk(1) Effective AWK Programming, Edition 1.0, published by the Free Software Foundation, 1995. AUTHOR
Arnold Robbins (arnold@skeeve.com). ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +--------------------+-----------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +--------------------+-----------------+ |Availability | SUNWgawk | +--------------------+-----------------+ |Interface Stability | Volatile | +--------------------+-----------------+ NOTES
Source for gawk is available on http://opensolaris.org. Free Software Foundation Nov 3 1999 IGAWK(1)