Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: cannot cd /tmp.
Operating Systems Solaris cannot cd /tmp. Post 302303042 by itik on Wednesday 1st of April 2009 05:19:39 PM
Old 04-01-2009
cannot cd /tmp.

Hi All,

There's a /tmp. folder on my solaris 9. I can't cd on it

bash-2.05# uname -a
SunOS cads105ctce 5.9 Generic_122300-30 sun4u sparc SUNW,Sun-Fire-V890

bash-2.05# cd /tmp.
bash: cd: /tmp.: No such file or directory

bash-2.05# ls -la /tmp.
/tmp.: No such file or directory

bash-2.05# ls -ld /tmp.
/tmp.: No such file or directory

ls -la /
drwxr-xr-x 5 root other 512 Jul 12 2006 tmp.

Is this corrupted folder or file? Can I fix this?

Thank you for any comment you may add.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

/tmp is missing ????

Hi, When I type mail command i get the following error : /tmp/Rx7678 : No such file or directory If I try to use the man, i also get an error related to /tmp. I looked at my other servers and found this /tmp file, looked inside it and found that it has some files related to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: BAM
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

writing to /tmp

Hi all, I need your help. I am using Linux - Mandrake 8.x version. Somehow, the system /tmp directory became unwritable. What can be the problem is this case I am trying to write to /tmp and the permission right for this dir are: drwxrwxrwt 20 root root 1024 Mar 16 17:26... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vtran4270
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

monitoring /tmp and /var/tmp for suspicous activity

Hello, does anyone have a script that can check the contents of the /tmp directory and for example e-mail the directory content if anything other than session files are present? Maybe there are better ways to monitor suspicous /tmp and /var/tmp activity, if so I'm listening :) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jamesbond
1 Replies

4. Solaris

How To Shrink /Tmp

Hi, Do you know if we can shrink the size of the Swap under Solaris 8 ? 8Gb is already allocated to /TMP but we would like to reduce to 1 GB. Thanks, Fabien. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: unclefab
2 Replies

5. AIX

/tmp full

good morning The /tmp filesystem is full at 99 % I have do a "rm" but the size is the same. so i think that a process is always alive, but how can i do to know it ? (because I have deleted some file in /tmp) thank you (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: pascalbout
9 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

what is so special about /tmp/

I know that /tmp is used for memory or swap??? and that it should not be full ??? and that files under /tmp are automatically removed after a reboot??? Is this info true??? thx (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: melanie_pfefer
16 Replies

7. Solaris

/tmp as swap

So with solaris 10 are people not using the old /tmp as a regular UFS filesystem and making /tmp part of swap or tmpfs... what are peoples thoughts on this? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: csaunders
5 Replies

8. AIX

/tmp full

The /tmp is 100% full, I found there are the following big files/directory: 1301500 syslog.out.58 166692 vac 158552 install.dir.2928686 158552 install.dir.2236636 110980 install.dir.2887698 /tmp/vac have some files like : .toc ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rainbow_bean
3 Replies

9. AIX

problem with tmp

Hello everyone ! I get a box with aix 5.3 and I get the /tmp fs on 100 %. I get a free space to get more bigger my fs but send me a error message. I try to make more bigger with smitty chlv but It doesnt work. Then I try to reduce somethings on the /tmp fs but I cant get in on a... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lo-lp-kl
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

/tmp filling up

Does anyone know of a way to redirect the ksh default of processing data in /tmp to another file system or / something else? My ksh script is parsing large DB files and it keeps filling up /tmp on the root disk. I have a 1 Tb disk with most of its space. How do I re-direct the /tmp ksh... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cchelten
6 Replies
rmvb(9F)						   Kernel Functions for Drivers 						  rmvb(9F)

NAME
rmvb - remove a message block from a message SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/stream.h> mblk_t *rmvb(mblk_t *mp, mblk_t *bp); INTERFACE LEVEL
Architecture independent level 1 (DDI/DKI). PARAMETERS
mp Message from which a block is to be removed. mblk_t is an instance of the msgb(9S) structure. bp Message block to be removed. DESCRIPTION
The rmvb() function removes a message block (bp) from a message (mp), and returns a pointer to the altered message. The message block is not freed, merely removed from the message. It is the module or driver's responsibility to free the message block. RETURN VALUES
If successful, a pointer to the message (minus the removed block) is returned. The pointer is NULL if bp was the only block of the message before rmvb() was called. If the designated message block (bp) does not exist, -1 is returned. CONTEXT
The rmvb() function can be called from user, interrupt, or kernel context. EXAMPLES
This routine removes all zero-length M_DATA message blocks from the given message. For each message block in the message, save the next message block (line 10). If the current message block is of type M_DATA and has no data in its buffer (line 11), then remove it from the message (line 12) and free it (line 13). In either case, continue with the next message block in the message (line 16). 1 void 2 xxclean(mp) 3 mblk_t *mp; 4 { 5 mblk_t *tmp; 6 mblk_t *nmp; 7 8 tmp = mp; 9 while (tmp) { 10 nmp = tmp->b_cont; 11 if ((tmp->b_datap->db_type == M_DATA) && (tmp->b_rptr == tmp->b_wptr)) { 12 (void) rmvb(mp, tmp); 13 freeb(tmp); 14 } 15 tmp = nmp; 16 } 17 } SEE ALSO
freeb(9F), msgb(9S) Writing Device Drivers STREAMS Programming Guide SunOS 5.11 16 Jan 2006 rmvb(9F)