Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting sed script for search and replacement Post 302301567 by cookie23patel on Friday 27th of March 2009 09:52:57 AM
Old 03-27-2009
have a properties files with variables i need to replace using substitution in a shell script

for e.g in

x.properties

Code:
xslt.root.dir=/apps1/test/cs.war/presentation/xsl

have a shell script with following

Code:
echo "Edit '/tmp/x.properties'"
echo "-----------------------------------------------------------------------------"
echo "Modify 'xslt.root.dir=' with the environment specific path"
echo "xslt.root.dir=$PWD/presentation/xsl"
echo ""

(need command here to replace xslt.root.dir= variable in x.properties with either a variable read in from command line or $PWD variable) 

echo "Press [Enter] when file has been modified"
read $ANS
echo ""
echo "Edit '/tmp/leena/web.xml'"
echo "-----------------------------------------------------------------------------"
echo "Modify '/apps1/instance_t05/edi/fatwire' with the environment specific path"
echo "$PWD"
echo ""
echo "Press [Enter] when file has been modified"
read $ANS
echo ""

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Replacement using sed

Hi I have the following file that i need to run a sed command on 1<tab>running 2<tab>running 3<tab>running 4<tab>running I want to be able to replace a line i.e the second one with '2<tab>failed'. As the first number is unique that can be used to search for the relevant line (using ^2 i... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: handak9
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need shell/sed script for grep+string replacement

Hi, Let me explain the situation. There are many files in a directory and its sub-directories that conatin the string pattern "pa". I want to replace all such instances with the pattern "pranavagarwal" doing a grep "pa" `ls` does give me all the instances of the occurence of that... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pranavagarwal
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need Replacement for sed

Hi Can anyone provide me the replacement of sed with xargs perl syntax for the below sed -e :a -e '/;$/!N;s/\n//; ta' -e 's/;$//' This should be without looping has to take minimal time for search (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: dbsurf
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

search for any number, and retain them in replacement

Hello! Here is what I am trying to do: I am taking a class at school that is using a lot of literature that is in the public domain, and available for free on the web. Rather than read them online in HTML, I have been pulling them down and quickly and dirtily tagging them up and typesetting... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ccox85
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

global search and replacement of a non-ascii character

Hi, I need to do a global search and replacement of a non-ascii character. Let me first give the background of my problem. Very frequently, I need to copy set of references from different sources. Typically, a reference would like this: Banumathy et al., 2002 G. Banumathy, V. Singh and U.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: effjay
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with sed replacement

This seems like it should be an easy problem, but I'm a noob and I can't figure it out. I'm trying to use sed, but would be happy to use anything that does the job. I am trying to trim off a fixed number of unknown characters from 2 different : delimited fields while keeping the intervening... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: helix_w
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacement with sed

I am trying to replace the line which has string "tablespace" not case senstive.... with below simple script: mysrcipt.sh sed "s/.*/TABLESPACE USERS/g" create_table > tmp mv tmp create_table Is there any better way to do it? If Search string tooooooo long it will be tough to code in... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ganeshd
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

SED replacement

Hi, i have a file with lines, file.txt ------- test is fun testing is better I need to replace 'test' to 'develop' and i used, a=test b=develop sed "s,$a,$b,g" -------- but i see the word 'testing' is also replaced. Need some solution. Is there any way i could replace only 'test' ? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: giri_luck
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Recursive replacement of search string using sed

Dear Unix Forum Group Members, Please do let me know how I can replace the double pipe with single pipe recursively on single record. Sample Input Data: DN set|Call prefix||| Called number address nature 0||| *789|||||||ALL number types 0||| 00||||||||ALL number types 10||... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: srinu.kadem
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Busybox search replacement for find

Hi, I am looking for a solution to find files in a folder and subfolders. Those files should be moved (some with spaces) when they were between 2015 Feb. 03 and 2014 Nov. 24. find . -type f -newermt "2010-01-01" ! -newermt "2010-06-01" I am working on a QNAP with a small busybox.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: krischeu
2 Replies
SHTOOL-SUBST.TMP(1)					      GNU Portable Shell Tool					       SHTOOL-SUBST.TMP(1)

NAME
shtool-subst - GNU shtool sed(1) substitution operations SYNOPSIS
shtool subst [-v|--verbose] [-t|--trace] [-n|--nop] [-w|--warning] [-q|--quiet] [-s|--stealth] [-i|--interactive] [-b|--backup ext] [-e|--exec cmd] [-f|--file cmd-file] [file] [file ...] DESCRIPTION
This command applies one or more sed(1) substitution operations to stdin or any number of files. OPTIONS
The following command line options are available. -v, --verbose Display some processing information. -t, --trace Enable the output of the essential shell commands which are executed. -n, --nop No operation mode. Actual execution of the essential shell commands which would be executed is suppressed. -w, --warning Show warning on substitution operation resulting in no content change on every file. The default is to show a warning on substitution operations resulted in no content change on all files. -q, --quiet Suppress warning on substitution operation resulting in no content change. -s, --stealth Stealth operation. Preserve timestamp on file. -i, --interactive Enter interactive mode where the user has to approve each operation. -b, --backup ext Preserve backup of original file using file name extension ext. Default is to overwrite the original file. -e, --exec cmd Specify sed(1) command directly. -f, --file cmd-file Read sed(1) command from file. EXAMPLE
# shell script shtool subst -i -e 's;(c) ([0-9]*)-2000;(c) 1-2001;' *.[ch] # RPM spec-file %install shtool subst -v -n -e 's;^(prefix=).*;1 $RPM_BUILD_ROOT%{_prefix};g' -e 's;^(sysconfdir=).*;1 $RPM_BUILD_ROOT%{_prefix}/etc;g' `find . -name Makefile -print` make install HISTORY
The GNU shtool subst command was originally written by Ralf S. Engelschall <rse@engelschall.com> in 2001 for GNU shtool. It was prompted by the need to have a uniform and convenient patching frontend to sed(1) operations in the OpenPKG package specifications. SEE ALSO
shtool(1), sed(1). 18-Jul-2008 shtool 2.0.8 SHTOOL-SUBST.TMP(1)