Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Unable to delete an open file Post 302298267 by vikasrout on Tuesday 17th of March 2009 05:53:28 AM
Old 03-17-2009
I am working on HP-UX machine

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

unable to delete a file

Hi .. I am trying to deleta a file but i cant do the error i get is rm: hs_pdref_custom_dict_PG1_out_76_out non-existent but when i do ls it is listing the in the directory ... please find the filed below.... -rw-r----- 1 tsta107 users 118011030 Dec 1 04:07... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: arunkumar_mca
13 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

SP2-0310 unable to open file

Hi , We are running Oracle 8.1.7 on HP-UX B.11.00. Recently we have upgraded Oracle from 8.0.6. to 8.1.7. Almost all the shell script we use has the Sqlplus as sqlplus -s @/apps/prod/sql/xxxx.sql > /apps/prod/log/xxxx.out . However we receive the error SP2-0310: unable to open file... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: guru_2007
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unable to open .sql file

Hi , I am running Oracle 8.1.7 on HP-UX B.11.00. Recently I have upgraded Oracle from 8.0.6. to 8.1.7. Almost all the shell script has the Sqlplus as sqlplus -s @/apps/prod/sql/xxxx.sql > /apps/prod/log/xxxx.out . However I receive the error SP2-0310: unable to open file... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ananth.p
2 Replies

4. Solaris

unable to open a .log(4MB) file in vi

am unable to open a .log file which is 4MB size. (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: venkatramana
18 Replies

5. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Unable to delete a file through SAMBA

We have AIX box with a share. We have a Windows 2000 server with a mapped drive to this share. We were able to create and delete files inside the mapped drive. I removed the map. Changed it to a test share. Removed that map. Added it back to teh original share. However, now we can... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mcubitt
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

delete open file

hi, I have a little problem. I deleted a file, which was opened in vim editor. it was bad idea... now "df" still display same space. I kill process vim, but maybe file was controlled or opened by another application. Is any eventuallity to find which process has lock file? Command "ps -ax"... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: delonism
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

PCC-F-NOERRFILE, unable to open error message file

Hi, I was compiling few C programs in the unix server and getting the following error message rm: /home/a0xxx28/AVT/SEEDLIBRARYDB/LIB/*.a non-existent proc MODE=ANSI CODE=ANSI_C INCLUDE=/home/a0xxx28/PVT/SEEDLIBRARYDB/INCLUDE INCLUDE=/home/a0xxx28/PVT/SEEDLIBRARY/INCLUDE ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kavithakuttyk
1 Replies

8. Red Hat

unable to open / create any file in vi

Hi, I am unable to create/open any file in vi editor for normal user, though using root I am able to create/open any file, using redhat 5.5, example vi test it showing nothing after entering command (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: manoj.solaris
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unable to open a file in perl

Not able to open a file using this code why not? use strict; use warnings; my $file = "verInfo.txt"; unless(open FILE, $file) { # Die with error message # if we can't open it. die "\nUnable to open $file\n"; } my $line = <FILE>; print $line; close FILE; (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: srijith
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Unable to open input kickstart file curl#37

Hi, Getting the below error while installing from ks.cfg unable to open input kickstart file curl#37 Couldn't open file /tmp/swappart Here am trying to include /tmp/swappart file from pre section under disks and partition section. Dont know where exactly am doing wrong My kickstart file... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sumanthsv
3 Replies
userdel(1M)															       userdel(1M)

NAME
userdel - delete a user login from the system SYNOPSIS
alternate_password_file] login DESCRIPTION
The command deletes a user login from the system by modifying the appropriate login related files. The command requires the login argument. login is the name to be deleted, specified as a string of printable characters. It may not con- tain a colon or a newline Refer to usergroupname(5) to understand the functionality changes with the Numeric User Group Name feature. Options recognizes the following options: The home directory of login is removed from the system. This directory must exist. Following the successful execution of this command, none of the files and directories under the home directory will be available. If a user is deleted and the home directory is shared by others, then this directory is not deleted even with the option. Force the changes, even if the login is currently in use. Specify that the changes are being made to the alternate password file of NIS specified by the option. The and options should not be used with this option. Specify the path of the alternate password file of NIS. The option is used with the option. In the event where a directory is shared by users of the same group and the owner of that directory is deleted, then the ownership of that directory is propagated to the next user who is sharing that directory. The new owner is determined by looking at the order in which the users sharing this directory are added to the file. If there is only one user remaining then the directory is brought back to unshared mode by resetting the permissions to from NIS This command is aware of NIS user and group entries. Only local users and groups may be deleted or modified with this command. Attempts to delete or modify NIS users or groups will result in an error. NIS users and groups must be administered from the NIS server. The com- mand may fail with the error (return value 6) if the user specified is an NIS user (see passwd(4)). The error (return value 10) is returned if a local user belongs to an NIS group (see group(4)). NFS Errors may occur with the option if the affected directory is within an NFS mounted file system that does not allow root privileges across the NFS mount, and the directory or files within the directory do not have sufficient permissions. RETURN VALUE
exits with one of the following values: Successful completion. Invalid command syntax. Invalid argument supplied to an option. The login to be removed does not exist. The login to be removed is in use. Cannot modify the file, but the login was removed from the file. Unable to remove or modify the home directory. Unable to open file or file is non-existent. file or file busy. Another command may be modifying the file. Cannot delete entry from file. Out of memory. Invalid template file. EXAMPLES
Remove the user from the system: Remove the user from the system and delete home directory from the system: WARNINGS
Because many users may try to write the file simultaneously, a password locking mechanism was devised. If this locking fails after subse- quent retrying, terminates. FILES
Shadow Password file System Password file System group file Lock file used when updating password file SEE ALSO
passwd(1), users(1), groupadd(1M), groupdel(1M), groupmod(1M), logins(1M), useradd(1M), usermod(1M), group(4), passwd(4), shadow(4), user- groupname(5). STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
userdel(1M)