Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting remove extra spaces between fields Post 302297925 by zaxxon on Monday 16th of March 2009 07:16:57 AM
Old 03-16-2009
Code:
sed 's/[[:space:]]\{2,\}\|//g' infile
a b|sa df|3232|3
sf sa|afs sdf|43|33
a b c|adfsa dsf|23-32|23

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

To remove the extra spaces in unix

Hi... I am quite new to Unix and would like an issue to be resolved. I have a file in the format below; 4,Reclaim,ECXTEST02,abc123,Harry Potter,5432 6730 0327 5469,0603,,MC,,1200,EUR,sho-001,,1,,,abc123,1223 I would like my output to be as follows; 4,Reclaim,ECXTEST02,abc123,Harry... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sho
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can i remove spaces in between the fields in a file

Hey , I have a file and it's having spaces for some of the fields in it. Like the one below. I want to remove the spaces in them through out the file. The spaces occur randomly and i can't say which field is having space. So please help. Here is sample file with spaces after 5th field. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dsravan
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove extra spaces in a line

Hi, I need a help in deleting extra spaces in a text. I have a huge file, a part of it is :- 3 09/21/08 03:32:07 started undef mino Oracle nmx004.wwdc.numonyx.com Message Text : The Oracle session with the PID 1103 has a CPU time ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: vikas027
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove extra spaces from a string??

Hi, I have a string like this and i want to remove extra spaces that exists between the words. Here is the sentence. $string="The small DNA genome of hepadnaviruses is replicated by reverse transcription via an RNA intermediate. This RNA "pregenome" contains ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vanitham
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

remove blank spaces from fields

Hi Friends, I have large volume of data file as shown below. Beganing or end of each filed, there are some blank spaces. How do I remove those spaces? AAA AAA1 | BBB BB1 BB2 |CC CCCC DDDD DD | EEEEEEE EEEEEEEE | FFF FFFFFF FFFF GG GGGGGG |HH HH ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ppat7046
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove of extra spaces from the trailing

HI, I need the help from the experts like I have created one file with text like: a b c d e f g h i j k l So my question is that i have to write the script in which like in the first sentence it will take only one space after d and remove all the extra space in the end.I dont... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: bhanudhingra
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing extra unwanted spaces

hi, i need to remove the extra spaces in the 2nd field. Sample: abc|bd |bkd123 .. 1space abc|badf |bakdsf123 .. 2space abc|bqe |bakuowe .. 3space Output: abc|bd|bkd123 abc|badf|bakdsf123 abc|bqe|bakuowe i used the following command, (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: anshaa
9 Replies

8. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

To remove the extra spaces at the end of each line in a file

I have a file of about 10k records and eace line is having an extra space of 5 byte at the end.. Iwant to remove the extra spaces at the end of each line.. Can someone please help me out.. I tried using sed command and its not working... can someone please help me out. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rammohan
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Remove line breaks and extra spaces

Hi, I want to remove all extra spaces, line breaks . Need a new line entry only for term starting"array" For eg: my input is array(), array(), array(), and my expected output is array(), array(), array(), Is it possible using awk? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rsi.245
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep string causes extra spaces

Hello, I have an xml file and my aim is to grab each line in keywords file and search the string in another file. When keyword is found in xml file,I expect the script to go to previous line in the xml file and grab the string/value between two strings. It's almost working with an error. tab... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: baris35
6 Replies
lltag_formats(5)						File Formats Manual						  lltag_formats(5)

NAME
formats - Internal formats database file for lltag DESCRIPTION
The internal format database is usually stored in /etc/lltag/formats. The user may override this file by defining a $HOME/.lltag/formats. If this file exists, the system-wide one is ignored. These files contain entries starting with a line such as: [%n - %a - %t] A title between bracket that will be displayed at runtime. Then, the following 3 lines must be given to explain how the format is actually used to parse filenames: type = basename The type is either basename (to parse the last part of the path to a file) or path (to parse the directory part of the path to a file). When actually parsing the path to target files, basename and path parsers will be assembled. All possible combination will be tried. regexp = %L%N%S-%S%A%S-%S%A%L A string composed of any characters, with the following special fields: %L for delimiter (empty by default, multiple spaces if --spaces was given) %S for a space (or multiple spaces if --spaces was given) %N for numbers %A for an alphanumeric string without / %P for any path (alphanumeric string with /) %% for % indices = NUMBER,ARTIST,TITLE A list of fields to match (either given by their full name or associated letter) corresponding to each %N or %A field in the previ- ous format. It may be AUTHOR (or a), ALBUM (A), GENRE (g), NUMBER (n), TITLE (t), DATE (d), COMMENT (c) or IGNORE (i). See also FORMAT in the manpage of lltag for details about these fields. SEE ALSO
lltag(1) AUTHOR
Brice Goglin NOVEMBER 2006 lltag_formats(5)