Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting using mutiple "nohup" to execute multiple commands. Post 302295049 by aster007 on Friday 6th of March 2009 11:35:31 AM
Old 03-06-2009
I did use your syntax...but not entirely...
as the "()" stuff was somehow not working...
did use multiple rsh...with nohups on each one

Thanks a lot for the suggestions provided.
The multiple "rsh's" did help!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Commands on Digital Unix equivalent to for "top" and "sar" on other Unix flavour

Hi, We have a DEC Alpha 4100 Server with OSF1 Digital Unix 4.0. Can any one tell me, if there are any commands on this Unix which are equivalent to "top" and "sar" on HP-UX or Sun Solaris ? I am particularly interested in knowing the CPU Load, what process is running on which CPU, etc. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sameerdes
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

"nohup" and "&" commands

Why would anyone ever type in a command like this: nohup command & nohup lets you logout of your telnet session so why add "&" to run it in the background? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: xadamz23
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

how do execute "vi" commands in shell script?

Hi All, I need to execute the following "vi" commands in my script. How can I do that?? pls help me.... 1. escape (escape mode) 2. gg (goto first line) 3. shift+v (visual mode) 4. shift+g (goto to last line) 5. = (alinment) Thanks in advance, Saravana (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: askumarece
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix commands delete all files starting with "X" except "X" itself. HELP!!!!?

im a new student in programming and im stuck on this question so please please HELP ME. thanks. the question is this: enter a command to delete all files that have filenames starting with labtest, except labtest itself (delete all files startign with 'labtest' followed by one or more... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: soccerball
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to replace ";" with "|" and ""|" at diferent places in line of file

Hi, I have line in input file as below: 3G_CENTRAL;INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL;SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL My expected output for line in the file must be : "1-Radon1-cMOC_deg"|"LDIndex"|"3G_CENTRAL|INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL"|LAST|"SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL" Can someone... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shis100
7 Replies

6. Solaris

Relation btw commands, "man" and "more" ???

Hi guys, Hope u r doing find. I have this query. When we check the manual pages for a certain command, say man cat we see the manual page with more What is UNIX really doing here, I mean why not less command instead of more command. And can we have UNIX display the manual pages with less command... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gabam
2 Replies

7. Red Hat

files having Script which works behind "who" & "w" commands

Dear All, plz print the path of files which have the script of "who" & "w" commands. thnx in advance. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: saqlain.bashir
6 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Extract delta records using with "comm" and "sort" commands combination

Hi All, I have 2 pipe delimited files viz., file_old and file_new. I'm trying to compare these 2 files, and extract all the different rows between them into a new_file. comm -3 < sort file_old < sort file_new > new_file I am getting the below error: -ksh: sort: cannot open But if I do... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: njny
7 Replies

9. AIX

Nim server "Unable to execute remote client commands"

Hello, What is its mean? Could you please help me? Best regards, root@nimserver:/> nimadm -j nimadmvg -c dev4 -s spot1 -l lpp_source1 -d "hdisk7" -Y Initializing the NIM master. Initializing NIM client dev4. 0042-006 c_rsh: (exec_nimsh_cmd) exec_cmd Error 0 poll: setup failure... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: getrue
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script - Print an ascii file using specific font "Latin Modern Mono 12" "regular" "9"

Hello. System : opensuse leap 42.3 I have a bash script that build a text file. I would like the last command doing : print_cmd -o page-left=43 -o page-right=22 -o page-top=28 -o page-bottom=43 -o font=LatinModernMono12:regular:9 some_file.txt where : print_cmd ::= some printing... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jcdole
1 Replies
rsh(1M) 						  System Administration Commands						   rsh(1M)

NAME
rsh, restricted_shell - restricted shell command interpreter SYNOPSIS
/usr/lib/rsh [-acefhiknprstuvx] [argument]... DESCRIPTION
rsh is a limiting version of the standard command interpreter sh, used to restrict logins to execution environments whose capabilities are more controlled than those of sh (see sh(1) for complete description and usage). When the shell is invoked, it scans the environment for the value of the environmental variable, SHELL. If it is found and rsh is the file name part of its value, the shell becomes a restricted shell. The actions of rsh are identical to those of sh, except that the following are disallowed: o changing directory (see cd(1)), o setting the value of $PATH, o pecifying path or command names containing /, o redirecting output (> and >>). The restrictions above are enforced after .profile is interpreted. A restricted shell can be invoked in one of the following ways: 1. rsh is the file name part of the last entry in the /etc/passwd file (see passwd(4)); 2. the environment variable SHELL exists and rsh is the file name part of its value; the environment variable SHELL needs to be set in the .login file; 3. the shell is invoked and rsh is the file name part of argument 0; 4. the shell is invoke with the -r option. When a command to be executed is found to be a shell procedure, rsh invokes sh to execute it. Thus, it is possible to provide to the end- user shell procedures that have access to the full power of the standard shell, while imposing a limited menu of commands; this scheme assumes that the end-user does not have write and execute permissions in the same directory. The net effect of these rules is that the writer of the .profile (see profile(4)) has complete control over user actions by performing guaranteed setup actions and leaving the user in an appropriate directory (probably not the login directory). The system administrator often sets up a directory of commands (that is, /usr/rbin) that can be safely invoked by a restricted shell. Some systems also provide a restricted editor, red. EXIT STATUS
Errors detected by the shell, such as syntax errors, cause the shell to return a non-zero exit status. If the shell is being used non- interactively execution of the shell file is abandoned. Otherwise, the shell returns the exit status of the last command executed. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
intro(1), cd(1), login(1), rsh(1), sh(1), exec(2), passwd(4), profile(4), attributes(5) NOTES
The restricted shell, /usr/lib/rsh, should not be confused with the remote shell, /usr/bin/rsh, which is documented in rsh(1). SunOS 5.11 1 Nov 1993 rsh(1M)