Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Reg. VXVM
Operating Systems Solaris Reg. VXVM Post 302294854 by blicki on Friday 6th of March 2009 04:00:23 AM
Old 03-06-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grippo
no need for the reboot at all.
simply use vxdiskadm option 4 to remove the disk and then option 5 to insert the new one.
the only thing that will be different is that you will not longer see the boot-block wrapper on the root volume.
Principally you're right. There is no need for a reboot. Thus how can you be sure, that the replace was successfull, reboot during a downtime should be done.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

VxVM

All solaris rescue gurus out there .... I've a Solaris 2.6 E450 on which my sysadmin guy has deleted every file (not sub-directories) from the /etc directory. The machine is (was) running Vxvm with the root volume encapsulated. I've tried booting from CDROM, mounting the root volume... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: andy11983
3 Replies

2. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

vmstat -d with VxVM

I've got a Linux box that I'm pretty sure is having some disk issues. iostat isn't installed, but vmstat is, so i've been trying to use that to do some initial diagnostics while I go through our company's change control process to get iostat installed. The problem I'm having is that the disks... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kknigga
4 Replies

3. Solaris

VxVM..anything to worry about in here..

DEVICE TYPE DISK GROUP STATUS c0t0d0s2 sliced rootdisk rootdg online c1t1d0s2 sliced disk01 rootdg online c2t0d0s2 sliced actsvr101 actsvr1dg online c2t2d0s2 sliced actsvr102 actsvr1dg online c2t3d0s2 ... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: incredible
13 Replies

4. Solaris

VxVM on Solaris.

Hi, Quick question if anyone knows this. Is there a command I can use in Veritas Volume manager on Solaris that will tell me what the name of the SAN I am connected to? We have a number of SANs so I am unsure which one my servers are connected to. Thanks. (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: gwhelan
13 Replies

5. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

VxVM and MPxIO

:confused: Last week I read that VxVM won't work with MPxIO (i don't recall the link) and that it should be unconfigured when installing VxVM. Today I read that VxVM works in "pass-thru" mode with MPxIO and DMP uses the devices presented by MPxIO. If I create disks with MPxIO and use VxVM to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bluescreen
1 Replies

6. Solaris

ZFS and VxVM

Hi community, I've a hard question for you. 1)What are the differences between ZFS and Veritas Volume Manager on Solaris10? 2) what is the difference to manage the internal disks (Mirror)? 3) what is the difference to manage the external disks? 4) What is the difference to manage... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sunb3
5 Replies

7. Solaris

No of volumes in vxvm

Anyone knows that how many volumes can be created in a Diskgroup? Thanks in advance... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bpsunadm
1 Replies

8. Solaris

vxvm

hi all, how can we check whether vxvm is installed in our system or not in solaris? Thanks in advance dinu (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dinu
4 Replies

9. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

VxVM not able to see new disk

I have VxVM 5.1 running on Solaris-10. I have to increase a application file-system and storage team gave me a lun. After scanning scsi port by cfgadm, I can see them in format output. I labelled it, but I am not able to see them in "vxdisk list". I already tried commands --> vxdctl enable... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: solaris_1977
4 Replies

10. Solaris

Fsck in vxvm

Hi, When we are running fsck in vxvm FS within few sec it will completed even if data is more than 500GB or in TB also. compare to UFS FS in that it will take more time compare with vxvm.UFS check FS in block level. & then vvxm on where its checking the FS. Please explain. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tiger09
1 Replies
volrootmir(8)						      System Manager's Manual						     volrootmir(8)

NAME
volrootmir - Mirror areas necessary for booting to a new disk SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/volrootmir [-a] [nconfig=count] target_disk [swap=target_partition] OPTIONS
Specifies that all volumes on the system disk be mirrored, not just the root and swap volumes, rootvol and swapvol. DESCRIPTION
The volrootmir script causes a mirror copy of areas of the root disk involved in booting to be made on the specified target disk. When used without the -a option, volrootmir adds mirrors of the root and swap volumes and allocates them on the new disk. In addition, all disk regions required for booting are set up and partitions for the new volume mirrors are created. When used with the -a option, volrootmir mirrors all in-use partitions on the system disk. To mirror a swap volume that is on a separate disk from the root volume, the swap attribute must be used to specify a separate target for the swap mirror. The target disk(s) must be at least as large as the sum of the sizes of rootvol and swapvol. Also, the physical disk should not have any disk partition in use. This script can be called from the voldiskadm menus by choosing the Mirror volumes on a disk operation. ATTRIBUTES
Specifies the number of log copies and copies of the configuration database, for example, nconfig=2. Specifies that the swap volume, swapvol, be mirrored on a separate disk, as specified by target_partition. EXAMPLES
The following command mirrors the rootvol and swapvol volumes onto the target disk, dsk3. This command will fail if swapvol is on a differ- ent disk from rootvol. # volrootmir dsk3 The following command mirrors rootvol, swapvol, and any other volumes on the root disk onto the target disk, dsk3. This command will fail if swapvol is on a different disk from rootvol. # volrootmir -a dsk3 The following command mirrors rootvol on disk dsk3, swapvol onto partition dsk7d, and any other volumes on the root disk onto disk dsk3. This command will fail if swapvol is on the same disk as rootvol. # volrootmir -a dsk3 swap=dsk7d The following command mirrors rootvol onto disk dsk3 and swapvol onto partition dsk7d. This command will fail if swapvol is on the same disk as rootvol. # volrootmir dsk3 swap=dsk7d SEE ALSO
volintro(8), voldiskadm(8) volrootmir(8)