Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting BASH: Any Way to Get User Input Without Requiring Them to Hit the Enter Key? Post 302294705 by Corona688 on Thursday 5th of March 2009 05:19:53 PM
Old 03-05-2009
In BASH you can specify how many characters to read like 'read -n 1 C'. Read will return after 1 character input and place its value in C. Also, -s will also cause the input to not be echoed to the screen.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

hit 'enter' with no user intervention

I'd like to write a shell script that will enter '1', for example. How do you do that? You know, so instead of writing echo "Enter 1 or 2" read onetwo and waiting for the user to enter a 1 or 2, I'd like the script to act like someone entered a 1, or 2. Is there a hex value for the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jpprial
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Pressing backspace key simulates enter key

Hi, Whenever i press the backspace key, a new line appears, i.e. it works like a enter key. :confused: Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vibhor_agarwali
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to enter a return key in bash script?

Hi, I'm porting an install script from AIX to Red Hat (2.6.18-164.el5 #1 SMP) I have this script working in both AIX and HP-UX. The script is a wrapper for a Micro Focus Server Express install program. It responds to the install program questions with a here-now list. Responses includes... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: duker61
14 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

enter key or carriage return as input in perl

hi experts Question in perl i'm creating a script to take from user a different inputs one of them is the carriage return .. so that i want to make an if condition if the user hit enter key the user will go to previous step it something like that chomp ($input = <STDIN>); if ($input =~... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: doubando
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Creating a script requiring a pause for user input

Hi I'm trying to create a basic script that pauses for user input to verify a file name before generating the output. I have numerous SSL certificate files which I am trying to determine the expiry date so what I'm trying to do is write a script so that is pauses to request the name of the .pem... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Buddyluv
9 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Loop logic, enter into respective IF as per enter input file name

have three big data file, however I just need to see the mentioned below one line form the all the file which has SERVER_CONNECTION Value File 1 export SERVER_CONNECTION=//dvlna002:10001/SmartServer File2 export SERVER_CONNECTION=///SmartServer File3 export... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Nsharma3006
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to pass enter key or selected character in bash script?

hi, i've bash script thats working... but now i need to add a line....that prompts for user input....like yes and 1 as complete install.... so here's how it looks... $ cd 9200 (cd into directory) $./install (hv to type ./install to run install then ask for) ----do you want to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kernel11
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading user input...problem with tab key

Hi all, I have a little problem with my shell script (reading user input, save user input to variable, invisible characters in the log file :() printf "1. What's your file path?" /path/to/my/file read -e FILE I have invisible characters in my log file (e.g. <ESC> or ^G) when I'm... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: splendid
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Input password to bash script, save, and enter when needed

I am looking for a way to start a script and have it prompt for a password that will be used later on in the script to SSH to another host and to SFTP. I don't want the password to be hard coded. Below is my script with the actual IP's and usernames removed. #!/usr/bin/expect -f... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jbrass
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Expect command to send the user input enter or ctrl+c

Hey All, I am writing one script using expect, that script which is used in spawn will accepts only 1. Enter 2. Ctrl+c Press Control-C to exit, Enter to proceed. Could some one share some thoughts to send the above user inputs in linux expect block ? Thanks, Sam (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: SCHITIMA
0 Replies
read(n) 						       Tcl Built-In Commands							   read(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
read - Read from a channel SYNOPSIS
read ?-nonewline? channelId read channelId numChars _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
In the first form, the read command reads all of the data from channelId up to the end of the file. If the -nonewline switch is specified then the last character of the file is discarded if it is a newline. In the second form, the extra argument specifies how many characters to read. Exactly that many characters will be read and returned, unless there are fewer than numChars left in the file; in this case all the remaining characters are returned. If the channel is configured to use a multi-byte encoding, then the number of characters read may not be the same as the number of bytes read. ChannelId must be an identifier for an open channel such as the Tcl standard input channel (stdin), the return value from an invocation of open or socket, or the result of a channel creation command provided by a Tcl extension. The channel must have been opened for input. If channelId is in nonblocking mode, the command may not read as many characters as requested: once all available input has been read, the command will return the data that is available rather than blocking for more input. If the channel is configured to use a multi-byte encoding, then there may actually be some bytes remaining in the internal buffers that do not form a complete character. These bytes will not be returned until a complete character is available or end-of-file is reached. The -nonewline switch is ignored if the command returns before reaching the end of the file. Read translates end-of-line sequences in the input into newline characters according to the -translation option for the channel. See the fconfigure manual entry for a discussion on ways in which fconfigure will alter input. USE WITH SERIAL PORTS
For most applications a channel connected to a serial port should be configured to be nonblocking: fconfigure channelId -blocking 0. Then read behaves much like described above. Care must be taken when using read on blocking serial ports: read channelId numChars In this form read blocks until numChars have been received from the serial port. read channelId In this form read blocks until the reception of the end-of-file character, see fconfigure -eofchar. If there no end-of-file charac- ter has been configured for the channel, then read will block forever. EXAMPLE
This example code reads a file all at once, and splits it into a list, with each line in the file corresponding to an element in the list: set fl [open /proc/meminfo] set data [read $fl] close $fl set lines [split $data ] SEE ALSO
file(n), eof(n), fblocked(n), fconfigure(n), Tcl_StandardChannels(3) KEYWORDS
blocking, channel, end of line, end of file, nonblocking, read, translation, encoding Tcl 8.1 read(n)