Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Sed Awk Cut Grep Combination Help ? Post 302294675 by radoulov on Thursday 5th of March 2009 03:54:51 PM
Old 03-05-2009
Use nawk or /usr/xpg4/bin/awk on Solaris:

Code:
awk 'NR == FNR {
  /Name/ && n = $2
  /Local State/ && _[n] = $NF
  /Total Connections/ && _[n] = _[n] FS $3
  next
  }
/content/ { c = $2 }
/service/ && $NF in _ {
  split(_[$NF], t)
  print "CONTENT", c
  print "Service", $NF
  print "What is the current State?", t[1]
  print "What is the number of Total Connections?", t[2] RS
  }' file1 file2

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed, grep, cut or combine?

I am a beginner at shell scripting, actually i am working on my first script right now. Anyway i have searched the world how to grep two letters from each word (it will always just be two words). For example: Example Blablabla I want my script to cut out Ex (from the first word) and Bl... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: maskot
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

cut sed grep or other?

Hi Is there a way to cut the last two characters off a word or number given that this word or number can be of varying length? I have tried something like TEST=`echo $OLD | cut -c 1-5` where $OLD is a variable containing a number like 1234567 which gives a result of 12345. This is fine... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rleebife
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

cut in sed/awk

Hi Can i have an example where i should be able to cut columns (like for eg cut -c 1-3) in sed or awk. Regards Dhana (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: dhanamurthy
12 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Awk/sed solution for grep,cut

Hi, From the file "example" with lines like below, I need the int value associated with ENG , i.e, 123 SUB: ENG123, GROUP 1 SUB: HIS124, GROUP 1 .. .. Normally , i do grep ENG example | cut -d ' ' -f 2 | cut -c 4-6 Is it possible to do it in simpler way using awk/sed ? ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: priyam
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using grep and cut within awk

Hi My input file looks like as follows: say a.txt "aaaa cc","224 AW","ss cccccc","P06 09/10","dddddd" "aaaa cc","224 AW","ss cccccc","P06 09/10","dddddd" "aaaa cc","224 AW","ss cccccc","P06 09/10","dddddd" "aaaa cc","224 AW","ss cccccc","P06 09/10","dddddd" "aaaa cc","224 AW","ss... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: bittoo
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Advice using cut & echo combination commands

Hi, I am cutting data from a fixed length test file and then writing out a new record using the echo command, the problem I have is how to stop multiple spaces from being written to the output file as a single space. Example: cat filea | while read line do field1=`echo $line | cut -c1-2` ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: dc18
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

GREP/CUT/AWK to Arrays

hi people, I have a text file containing data, seperated by TAB. I want to process this tab'ed data as variable. how can I assign this? Ex: Code: 11aaa 12000 13aaa 14aaa 15aaa 16aaa 17aaa 21aaa 22000 23aaa 24aaa 25aaa 26aaa 27aaa 31aaa 32000 33aaa 34aaa 35aaa 36aaa 37aaa... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gc_sw
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using a combination of sort/cut/grep/awk/join/paste/sed

I have a file and need to only select users that have a shell of “/bin/bash” in the line using awk or sed please help (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: boyboy1212
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Print/cut/grep/sed/ date yyyymmdd on the filename only.

I have this filename "RBD_EXTRACT_a3468_d20131118.tar.gz" and I would like print out the "yyyymmdd" only. I use this command below, but if different command like cut or print....etc. Thanks ls RBD_EXTRACT* | sed 's/.*\(........\).tar.gz$/\1/' > test.txt (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: dotran
9 Replies
JOIN(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   JOIN(1)

NAME
join - relational database operator SYNOPSIS
join [ options ] file1 file2 DESCRIPTION
Join forms, on the standard output, a join of the two relations specified by the lines of file1 and file2. If file1 is `-', the standard input is used. File1 and file2 must be sorted in increasing ASCII collating sequence on the fields on which they are to be joined, normally the first in each line. There is one line in the output for each pair of lines in file1 and file2 that have identical join fields. The output line normally con- sists of the common field, then the rest of the line from file1, then the rest of the line from file2. Fields are normally separated by blank, tab or newline. In this case, multiple separators count as one, and leading separators are dis- carded. These options are recognized: -an In addition to the normal output, produce a line for each unpairable line in file n, where n is 1 or 2. -e s Replace empty output fields by string s. -jn m Join on the mth field of file n. If n is missing, use the mth field in each file. -o list Each output line comprises the fields specifed in list, each element of which has the form n.m, where n is a file number and m is a field number. -tc Use character c as a separator (tab character). Every appearance of c in a line is significant. SEE ALSO
sort(1), comm(1), awk(1) BUGS
With default field separation, the collating sequence is that of sort -b; with -t, the sequence is that of a plain sort. The conventions of join, sort, comm, uniq, look and awk(1) are wildly incongruous. JOIN(1)