Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to store the output of "time dd if= of=" in a variable Post 302294084 by Franklin52 on Wednesday 4th of March 2009 11:52:45 AM
Old 03-04-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by amio
Hi Franklin,
Sorry, it ended with "Bad File Descriptor"..
Thanks
Amio
Try this:

Code:
 sec=$(time 'dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda1 bs=512 count=2048;sync' 2>&1)

Regards

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Please help formatting bash "time" variable to HH:MM:SS format

Ok, this is going to be hard to describe, but here it goes. I have written a bash script that, while executing starts a timer, and when done stops the timer. The $RUNTIME variable value is in seconds, so the variable usually equals a number like 126 (equals 2 minutes 6 seconds). In my script I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vikingshelmut
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

passing the output of cmd from "eval" to a variable

Hello, I need help with the eval command. I have been building a lengthy cmd using eval, and I need to create $var from the output of the cmd. Here is what I have. Out=/dfezz1/output.txt Node="'LPAR Info:'" Gr3p0=" |grep" Printc=" prtconf" Output1=" 1>>$Out 0>&1" Cat1="cat... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: dfezz1
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

store the output of "find" command in a variable?

I intend to find the path/full location of a file(filename given by user thru "read filenme") using "find" or any other command and then store it's output in a variable for some other processing. But struggling to put all things together (i.e finding the fully qualified location of that file and... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: punitpa
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh script that echo " please insert your name " and store the output to a login.log file.

Hello All Nice to meet you all here in this forum, it's my 1rst time here i'm asking about a little issue that i face i added a ksh script that echo " please insert your name " and store the output to a login.log file. the script is working fine with normal telnet but Xstart is not working... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: islam.said
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

"Join" or "Merge" more than 2 files into single output based on common key (column)

Hi All, I have working (Perl) code to combine 2 input files into a single output file using the join function that works to a point, but has the following limitations: 1. I am restrained to 2 input files only. 2. Only the "matched" fields are written out to the "matched" output file and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Katabatic
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unable to store "-e" in variable ??????

p="-e" echo $p It is not returning the value "-e" stored. Instead returns null. I am wondering how could this happen. Please help me out.I tried all possibilities like p='-e' | p="\-e". Nothing seems to work. :confused::confused: (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: shanneykar
10 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Store Host lookup in variable ("on the fly")

Hi, I'm new here. I was wondering why I can't store a host lookup in a variable. for line in $(< blacklist) do STOREIP=host $line; if ]; then $line >> blacklist2; else $line >> blacklist3; fi done Result: "ip" command not found .. so how would I store the host lookup in the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sOliver
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Storing output of "time" command to a variable

Hi all, I am new to Linux/shell scripting having moderate knowledge. In my script, I need to get execution time of a command (say 'ls') in mili seconds level. For this i tried using "time" command to retrieve the total execution time in milli seconds. But, the problem is that, how to save... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: happening_linux
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get "n" number of lines from the specified file and store the output to the new file

Hiii. How are you all. .. I have started to learn bash scripting.. . and I am pretty much trying to execute this script which I am still not successful.. . This is what I am trying to do. .. need to get "n" number of lines from the specified file and store the output to the new file in... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: zsycho
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unable to store "python --version" to a shell variable

Hi All, I need to get the version of python installed and store it in a variable for later use. Whereas it is printing on the console instead of storing to variable. I am able to store output of ls command in a variable. Please check the below code : root@myhost:/volumes/srini# cat... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: srinivasan.neel
4 Replies
page_util_quote(n)					      Parser generator tools						page_util_quote(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
page_util_quote - page character quoting utilities SYNOPSIS
package require page::util::quote ?0.1? package require snit ::page::util::quote::unquote char ::page::util::quote::quote'tcl char ::page::util::quote::quote'tclstr char ::page::util::quote::quote'tclcom char _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
This package provides a few utility commands to convert characters into various forms. API
::page::util::quote::unquote char A character, as stored in an abstract syntax tree by a PEG processor (See the packages grammar::peg::interpreter, grammar::me, and their relations), i.e. in some quoted form, is converted into the equivalent Tcl character. The character is returned as the result of the command. ::page::util::quote::quote'tcl char This command takes a Tcl character (internal representation) and converts it into a string which is accepted by the Tcl parser, will regenerate the character in question and is 7bit ASCII. The string is returned as the result of this command. ::page::util::quote::quote'tclstr char This command takes a Tcl character (internal representation) and converts it into a string which is accepted by the Tcl parser and will generate a human readable representation of the character in question. The string is returned as the result of this command. The string does not use any unprintable characters. It may use backslash-quoting. High UTF characters are quoted to avoid problems with the still prevalent ascii terminals. It is assumed that the string will be used in a double-quoted environment. ::page::util::quote::quote'tclcom char This command takes a Tcl character (internal representation) and converts it into a string which is accepted by the Tcl parser when used within a Tcl comment. The string is returned as the result of this command. BUGS, IDEAS, FEEDBACK This document, will undoubtedly contain bugs and other problems. Please report such in the category page of the Tcllib SF Trackers [http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=12883]. Please also report any ideas for enhancements you may have. KEYWORDS
page, parser generator, quoting, text processing CATEGORY
Page Parser Generator COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2007 Andreas Kupries <andreas_kupries@users.sourceforge.net> page 1.0 page_util_quote(n)